Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, whenever I’m in the car and I try to explain/defend the actions of other cyclist. Well, this Sunday the routed the LA River Ride thru our neighborhood. While heading to the market, we got jammed up at intersection with a four way stop because the riders blowing thru the stop signs. My wife turned to me and said, “Go ahead and defend that”. I was at complete lost of words. The car so quiet you could hear the pin drop. What do you say in a situation like that?

I’ve never ridden the LA River ride, but it seems pretty chaotic. Through out the day there were riders going up and down the streets. People were riding on the wrong side of street, riding down the center of road, blocking traffic, and blowing stops signs. I got to admit these were back streets and there’s normally not a lot of traffic but still I expect riders to share the road. This was not as bad a Critical Mass ride, but definitely didn’t do much good for rider/driver relationships.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
The river ride is once a year, on a Sunday, and filled with inexperienced riders. Maybe it's not defensible, otoh, people should lighten up.

You know what isn't good for rider/driver relationships? In a two-mile stretch on Sunday, I was hounded by a road-raging driver who thought I should have been on the sidewalk, and I was nearly run off the road by a bus ... once on accident, once on purpose.

The onus is not always on the cyclists to engender good rider/driver relationships.

· Registered
12,083 Posts
Jett said:
Normally, whenever I’m in the car and I try to explain/defend the actions of other cyclist. Well, this Sunday the routed the LA River Ride thru our neighborhood. While heading to the market, we got jammed up at intersection with a four way stop because the riders blowing thru the stop signs. My wife turned to me and said, “Go ahead and defend that”. I was at complete lost of words. The car so quiet you could hear the pin drop. What do you say in a situation like that?

I’ve never ridden the LA River ride, but it seems pretty chaotic. Through out the day there were riders going up and down the streets. People were riding on the wrong side of street, riding down the center of road, blocking traffic, and blowing stops signs. I got to admit these were back streets and there’s normally not a lot of traffic but still I expect riders to share the road. This was not as bad a Critical Mass ride, but definitely didn’t do much good for rider/driver relationships.
How did she defend every single driver behaving badly?

· hello
3,395 Posts
I had to work that day so I was not part of that ride, although I did ride up to the observatory on my way home and rode down the last bit of the Los Feliz street fair.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Is it some sort of impromptu citizens race???

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
den bakker said:
How did she defend every single driver behaving badly?
She doesn't. As far as she's concern an ahole is a ahole, does't matter what mode of transportation they're using. Cyclist are pretty low on her total poles of jerks on the road. Her natural born enemy of the road are SUV drivers.

She just get's on my case (usually for sh*t and giggles) because sometimes I can get a little overzelous about cycling.

27,062 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Is it some sort of impromptu citizens race???
No. Just a fun-ride organized by the L.A. Bike Coalition. They take surface streets from Griffith Park through Downtown, then hop on the L.A. River bike path and head all the way down to Long Beach. Some take the train back, some ride back. The round trip is 70 miles.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
No. Just a fun-ride organized by the L.A. Bike Coalition. They take surface streets from Griffith Park through Downtown, then hop on the L.A. River bike path and head all the way down to Long Beach. Some take the train back, some ride back. The round trip is 70 miles.

dang...that sounds like fun....

27,062 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
dang...that sounds like fun....
It's pretty cool. Only problem is that they invite people of all sizes, shapes and skillsets, but ti's completely unsupported. I rode it last year with my wife and fixed flats for three different people.

27,062 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I'll have to schedule a business trip next year...... I'd really like to do that
If you do, let me know. I'll roll with you.

Disclaimer: If my wife is up to it, she'll want to go, too, and my pace will be much slower. But I'll get you to the start and get you back home. :cool:

27,062 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
deal....and slow is good....no worries there
Cool! :thumbsup:

Oh, and did I mention, if my wife goes, we'll likely be taking the train back? But don't worry. We'll wait for you (and save some food for you). Or maybe she'll take the train back and I'll ride the whole 70. Plenty of time to figure that out, I guess. :idea:

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DrRoebuck said:
The river ride is once a year, on a Sunday, and filled with inexperienced riders. Maybe it's not defensible, otoh, people should lighten up.
I'm probably more miffed at the organizers of the ride then at the riders. If you’re organizing a large ride in LA (birth place of road rage) with “inexperienced riders”, you should put some more effect in to make sure it does become free for all out on the road. There seem to be a complete lack of organization/supervision (at least during the section that ran thru my neighborhood).

DrRoebuck said:
You know what isn't good for rider/driver relationships? In a two-mile stretch on Sunday, I was hounded by a road-raging driver who thought I should have been on the sidewalk, and I was nearly run off the road by a bus ... once on accident, once on purpose.

The onus is not always on the cyclists to engender good rider/driver relationships.
Sorry to hear about the jerks you encounter during you ride. I’ve had days like that and it really a pisser. You right motorist have to share the road as much as cyclist do.

IMO, there is this us vs them mentality that needs to be broken. Bad behavior by drivers does not offset bad behavior by cyclist. They’re both wrong! Rider/Driver relationship is a two way street and we all have to work at it.

27,062 Posts
Jett said:
I'm probably more miffed at the organizers of the ride then at the riders. If you’re organizing a large ride in LA (birth place of road rage) with “inexperienced riders”, you should put some more effect in to make sure it does become free for all out on the road. There seem to be a complete lack of organization/supervision (at least during the section that ran thru my neighborhood).
I agree (and I mentioned that somewhere above). It was a frustrating aspect of the ride.

Jett said:
IMO, there is this us vs them mentality that needs to be broken. Bad behavior by drivers does not offset bad behavior by cyclist. They’re both wrong! Rider/Driver relationship is a two way street and we all have to work at it.
Agree here as well. But the onus is almost always put on the cyclists. I stopped at a red light but was blocking part of the crosswalk. One of the pedestrians said I was making all cyclists look bad. I didn't say anything back but, srsly, WTF?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.