Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. A challenge for the lounge.... I need to measure out lots of quantities of a liquid in small amounts.

I found this, which is basically the right idea:
Cylinder Machine Plastic Steel Science

Except I don't want to pay $200. I do not need life-or-death scientific precision.

FWIW, I am measuring quantities of about 10ml. Obviously, that is a pretty small amount to start with, so my measure has to be somewhat precise, but I do not have to be perfect on this. I could use a pipette but the thought of filling 200-500 of these by hand is not appealing.

Any ideas? Something manual would be ideal...I cannot see myself crafting some sort of electric pump or solenoid driven solution... need to KISS (and keep it reasonably cheap.)

I actually thought about something like a shot dispenser, but they are too big....

Many thanks.

ETA to add an image and ditch the non-working link...

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I'm thinking some type of large clear graduated cylinder with a stopcock at the bottom. You could always make your own if you can't find one pre-made

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If you could find a cheap standard cylinder that would hold exactly the amount of liquid you need - like a plastic soda bottle cap, or a bunch of plumbing endcaps - find a way to slightly adhere the caps to a board, maybe even with gum. Then submerse the board into a pan of your liquid so it's completely under the liquid and lift it out. Voila!?!?!?

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
An eye dropper?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
is this for the home manufacture of illicit drugs ... i hope?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want to have to measure them out individually. I think that will take too long....I can do that already.

I like the lotion dispenser idea. I still need to have a measured amount, though. I wonder if I can put some sort of stopper on there so I get the right amount of liquid. Then it becomes a simpler operation. I will explore this. Thank you.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
2 teaspoons = 9.857843ml

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 teaspoons = 9.857843ml
Yes. I know. But I also don't want to be potentially measuring out 1,000 tiny teaspoons to fill 500 tiny jars.... that is what I am trying to avoid. ;-)

Trying to make this process as accurate but less tedious and quick as possible.

Unless you want to come over and help?

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
The machine you are looking for is most likely too expensive so I think you are stuck doing it manually. If you just sit down and git er dun it's only a couple hours of actual work. You're not afraid of a little work are you? :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What? And get my nails dirty?

I am still actually liking the lotion dispenser idea. A washer or something around the neck could work to limit the amt dispensed....

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You want a 10 ml disposable pipette (basically an eyedropper). The trick will be finding a vendor who sells a small enough quantity such that you're not paying $100 for a thousand of the things.

Try Cole Parmer.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Peristaltic pump. Used for all sorts of food grade metering, chemical metering. Maybe not your best solution but there are hundreds of options out there. They are common in vending machines. They work by squeezing a tube, your product is never exposed to pump parts etc....
https://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Dosing-Peristaltic-Aquarium-Analytic/dp/B00F9MXFFQ
I like this idea. The product shown needs metering control. It could be a timer to turn the fixed voltage supply to the pump on and off for a precise time every push on your control button. These are easy to find/build based on 555 timer chips depending on your ability to do elementary electronics / kits.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
We use peristatlic pumps at work for such a purpose, but he indicated he didn't want a hobby project, and to buy one assembled to work as he desires is probably out of his price range. I'm also guessing that it will still require the most manual labor to place the vials to be filled and removed and stacked etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nOOky is right - there is still going to be manual labor on the filling front.

At the moment, I'd be happy holding up a vial under some sort of dispenser, pushing a button, having it fill with the right amount, and then moving along to the next vial. I am definitely NOT up for measuring tedious amounts and pipetting them into each vial.

I think the pump idea is cool, except I would have no idea what I am doing with it...

·
Registered
942 Posts
nOOky is right - there is still going to be manual labor on the filling front.

At the moment, I'd be happy holding up a vial under some sort of dispenser, pushing a button, having it fill with the right amount, and then moving along to the next vial. I am definitely NOT up for measuring tedious amounts and pipetting them into each vial.

I think the pump idea is cool, except I would have no idea what I am doing with it...

Operate the pump manually then. With a battery for the supply, and pushbutton for on and off. Fill the vials by sight. Keep a reference one filled to 10 ml to look at.
I would put them on a turntable, like a lazy susan, maybe 20-40 at a time. Outlet of pump above the turntable. Fill one, rotate to next, fill, until all are done. Then unload and do next batch.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.