Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Labral tear and am facing sugury. The Dr. told me 3 mouths with biking. has anyone out there with this type of surgury been able to get back on the saddle quicker than 3 mounths. Pleaes help! I can do 1 mounth butt 3 without biking., Help!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
2 months for me

I just checked my workout log. I was off the bike 2 months when I had my surgery, but was back running in 10 days. That kept me sane until I could do the bike full time again. My surgeon was a biker and understood the desire to get back in the saddle - I followed his advice and the recovery went real smooth.

·
Registered
139 Posts
a PT here...

Generally...it's not the cycling but the possibility of a crash is what's keeping you off the bike. We start people stationary biking at about 4-6 weeks depending on if it's a SLAP or Bankart lesion and how severe of a repair.

Spider...running at 10 days wasn't a very smart thing to do. The sutures holding the labrum in place are small and very tenuous. The doc I work with doesn't even allow any PT to start until 2 weeks postop.

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
I went through this last year

I had surgery for a labral tear last year, (and a cyst, and some bone shaving, and some joint tightening, etc etc).

I had a conservative surgeon, not sure if that's good or bad, but it worked for me.

Two weeks post-op, I was allowed to ride a stationary recumbent, just an easy spin, nothing hard. I did easy rides on the stationary for the next 2 and a half months before getting back on a road bike, even then I avoided group rides for a while. I could have set a bike up on a trainer after a couple months, but the recumbent thing was working fine.

I started PT 1 month post-op. I did my home exercises religiously and really reaped the benefits.

I was very fit when I had surgery. Riding the recumbent helped me avoid putting on weight. I rode about at least an hour a day, and did lose some top end fitness and some snap, but maintained my aerobic base pretty well. It didn't take long to get the top end back and get back to racing.

Good luck with the surgery. One suggestion - have your surgeon prescribe some sleeping pills for you to get through the first week after surgery. It's really hard to get a good nights sleep when the pain wakes you up if you move.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.