Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm currently building up my first wheelset, and having problems with lacing the rear wheel. I'm attempting to lace a Novatec F482SB to a XC279 (from BHS) in 28, 3 cross, but it seems impossible to lace the last few spokes no matter which way I try. Are there any good tips out there for technique? I haven't found anything more specific than 'be sure to not screw the nipples on too far initially', which hasn't helped me much.

Thanks,
Royal28

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are the measurements I have from the wheelpro calculator:
FTC = flange to center

DS PCD 49
NDS 41
NDS FTC 38
DS FTC 19
Rear 3x - 288.7 NDS
286.2 DS
ERD 583

Brandon at BHS told me that 286 and 288 should be fine (as opposed to 287/289), so that's what I bought from him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've spent around 5 hours this evening trying to lace and relace but to no avail - I'm lacing up in groups - drive side trailers, drive side leaders, NDS trailers, NDS leaders - trying about every possible order of those groups. Below are pics of what I have now: the DS and NDS trailers completely laced - the amount that all the NDS leaders are short is highlighted in a couple photos. Let me know if you guys need anything else.

Thanks,
Royal28

View attachment 278634 View attachment 278635 View attachment 278636 View attachment 278637

·
Boyd Cycling owner
377 Posts
Apologies, those pictures did not seem to attach correctly. You can find the pictures here (One, Two, Three, Four)
Make sure that your nipples are not getting caught in the spoke holes. Sometimes when lacing a wheel the nipple can get hung up inside the rim and it makes it hard to finish lacing the rest of the spokes. It's happened to a few people around here who have had problems with lacing up wheels and it's actually an easy thing to overlook.

That NDS looks really tight for 3X lacing. It looks like you are getting interference with the elbows hitting the spokes. With the NDS flange being smaller you may want to think about only doing 2X

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Based on image one it looks as if you got on on spoke location along the way.
The spoke at 6:30 (going to the left) is crossing too much, same for the spokes at 4:30, 3:00, and 1:30.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.