Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a K2 a about a year ago. It was a good first bike, but my riding ability has outgrown the bike. It is a bit heavy at about 21 pounds IMO. I am looking to upgrade asap to a lighter more of a performance bike. My dealer here is pushing a Giant. Of course it is a brand he carries.
But I want this to be my last purchase for a while. I am willing to spend $2-2,500. But dont want to be limited to the brands my local shop carries.
Please chime in on what you think. Looking for something under 18 lbs perferably.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Randi.

Sorry I'm not a lady although I would look at other shops even if it means traveling a bit. The most important part of cycling is fit. If you fit your bike you will be happy with it. It does have to visually appeal to you also. It's your money so buy what you want and fits you right. For me Giants sizing doesn't work and I could never be satified with a Giant. If you have some friends that are very knowledgable in bicycles mailorder might be an option.

Good luck on your future purchase and post pictures.

Juan

·
Registered
838 Posts
My first road bike was an early 90's carbon fiber Giant. It had a more compliant ride than the Ti bike I have now, and actually fit me a bit better because the top tube was shorter compared to the rest of the bike. It was heavy for carbon though, at about 19.5 lbs built w/ Ultegra and wasn't nearly the climber my new bike is(Ghisallo).

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ Giant...just make sure you read as many reviews as you can about the particular model they want to sell you. Make sure the weights they quote you are correct, and you're comparing apples to apples. Pay attention to frame weight, not just total bike weight since you may want to shuffle parts later on.

I bought my bike sight unseen from a shop in Massachusetts (im in SC). I found it on the internet. It was a risk, but got my bike for half price because the small size was hard to sell in a high-end bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live these days in a limited market area for just about everything. For a kitchen remodel, I had a hard time finding a T square for drafting plans. Locally, I can't find appliances, storage equipment, or much by way of counter-top options. I was looking for shades/blinds to manage sunshine in windows. Not much choice there either.

Cycling specific -- One shop in town, a couple more down the coast 20, 30 miles. They're all limited in what they stock. I can't find decent cycling shoes. Bike brands are pretty limited and "shop specific." Clothing brands/styles are the same way.

Accordingly, it's worth my time to drive the 100 odd miles into "the big city" and shop at an LBS that has a broad selection, styles, colors, sizes, brands. As you well note here, you want this to be "the last purchase" for a while. It would pay to make a special trip to a large scale dealer where you can shop and compare a broad market selection of brands, styles, colors in stock.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Blazin' Saddles said:
I live these days in a limited market area for just about everything. For a kitchen remodel, I had a hard time finding a T square for drafting plans.
T-Square for drafting? How does that work? Do you bang on the keyboard with it? I think anyone would have trouble finding one. I have a few, but they are antiques. I haven't seen one for sale in the US for quite some time.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Big Bad John said:
T-Square for drafting? How does that work? Do you bang on the keyboard with it? I think anyone would have trouble finding one. I have a few, but they are antiques. I haven't seen one for sale in the US for quite some time.
everyone knows the t-square is for smacking your GC because the punk always picks up the phone before he reads the darn drawings.

enough of a hyjack...
i've heard some good things about treck's WSD for the ladies...
but i also have some female teamates that prefer standard geometry bikes.
test ride lots of bikes. But use your own saddle and wheels. Wheels make all the diffrence in the feel of the ride so you want to be consistant. Your own saddle will help minimize distractions. I the shop gives you greif just walk, they should understand and support your desire to find the right bike.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
randi said:
I bought a K2 a about a year ago. It was a good first bike, but my riding ability has outgrown the bike. It is a bit heavy at about 21 pounds IMO. I am looking to upgrade asap to a lighter more of a performance bike. My dealer here is pushing a Giant. Of course it is a brand he carries.
But I want this to be my last purchase for a while. I am willing to spend $2-2,500. But dont want to be limited to the brands my local shop carries.
Please chime in on what you think. Looking for something under 18 lbs perferably.
K2 was my first "real" bike purchase, too. :)

The first road bike I test rode was a Giant OCR1. The ride wasn't bad - the saddle sucked, the brakes could've been better, but it dampened much more road vibration than I was used to and had a good value/price ratio. That said, I didn't feel like it fit that well, nor did it seem like something a little tweaking in saddle position/spacers could fix. Giant's sizing work for a lot of people, but I just wasn't comfortable with it.

What is it you don't like about the Giant? It's a lot easier to find a bike you do like if you identify the things you don't like about the ones you've already tried. I definitely second the idea that you should go "to the big city" to check out some other bikes. My LBS had a pretty decent selection, but doesn't stock bikes small enough for me, so I had to look elsewhere, since I didn't want to blind order a bike I hadn't test ridden before.

If you have a narrow build, you might also check the women specific designs. Cannondale, Trek... most all brands have them. They usually have pretty colors, too. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
randi said:
My dealer here is pushing a Giant.
Giant makes great bikes. The question is if you want a Giant and/or if the TCR2 fits you. I assume that it is the bike you are going to flow into with the criteria you gave us here. Or maybe the TCR W.

Personally, I like to buy from my local bike shop. Then I can get my bike worked on fast and well when I need the help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought last years TCR Limited in a size XS. I ordered it without ever having ridden it. A huge gamble. I knew all the measurements I wanted though. I really lucked out as the thing fit me like a glove. It was perfect (fit). The ride is so smooth... Oh I love it. It came with Ultegra 10 speed. Which I love. Things I changed: Wheels - way too heavy, bought some Easton Acents. Brakes - horrible, the bike came with generic brakes, switched to 105's. The saddle - tried it, didn't like it switched it to my Terry zero. Saddles are to fit specific. It's unlikely you'll buy a bike with the perfect saddle.

Overall, I wouldn't trade this bike for anything. I got an excellent price for it, and changed what I didn't like. Last year Giant didn't have women specific bikes, what I liked about this one is the cranks came in 165, the handlebars where small in diameter and my hands love them! So it may not say women's specific, but to me it is.

Good Luck,
Sarah

·
Registered
704 Posts
randi said:
When my wife developed a real interest in riding, we headed for a LBS that I'd developed some trust in and got her fitted out for a Gunnar Sport - Gunnars are an off the peg range from custom steel builder Waterford's in Wisconsin. At the time, they had a very experienced fitter who did all the measuring and suggested that the Sport would fit her near as durn well as a custom Waterford, but at much lower cost. The Mavic Ksyrium wheels she fell in love with upped the price a little, the Ultegra triple drivetrain kept it all within the bounds of reasonable and, though this is some 3-1/2 years back, it ran out at around $2000. The saddle - well, she got lucky with a Terry Butterfly, which has about as good a pedigree for a women's specific saddle as you'll find. The fitting process also came up with narrower bars than you'd tend to find on a stock bike.

The result - she loves it and is still happy with it. She's not a high mileage rider but got fed up with lugging a 'comfort bike' thing around. Not sure about the weight of her Gunnar - I'd imagine more like 20lb with two bottles and a seat bag for tools, tube, pump, and other things I'm told are essential - I've never felt the need to carry a lipstick around, for one, but that's me, your average mystified guy ;). Not sure it matters - I've been riding much the same bike based on the same model of frame for the last two years, and can't tell you an instance where the bike was responsible for the lack of speed, as opposed to my lardy frame.

If you buy a 'bike in a box', as you've already found out, the saddle is going to be a generic, and cheap, plastic blob of a thing that won't suit many folk past riding around the shop parking area. So you'd need to budget for finding a saddle that suits you (one that doesn't is a real good route to misery for anyone :eek: ) and maybe have to change the stem, perhaps the bars too, to suit you. As stuff on "instant bikes" is, as noted, cheap stuff, adding a saddle, bar and stem, for example, can soon reduce the bargain status.

For your 2500, you could get a really good ride that suits you precisely and last you for years. Keep researching, and do a lot of that before spending.

Regards

Dereck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts