Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My California In-laws are thinking of having a family get together in Lake George NY.

edumicate me. Is it a good place for a family reunion, or should I plan on bringing a bike and getting lost on the local roads?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We've ridden all around there and had a great time.

How much riding you want to do depends on how much you enjoy being around your family but the riding is good.

BTW it is no place for a fixte! :yikes:

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MB1 said:
We've ridden all around there and had a great time.

How much riding you want to do depends on how much you enjoy being around your family but the riding is good.

BTW it is no place for a fixte! :yikes:
They aren't family.... they are in-laws. Thus the need for a little alone time. :D

Actually they are all nice, but Mrs. Chain is one of 7 and when you add in all the kids, it's a lot of people. Getting a decision made about where to eat breakfast takes till noon. :rolleyes:

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robdamanii said:
Very campy touristy. You'll be ok if you like 1970s resort towns with lots of mini-golf.
Sounds like Estes Park that is 60 miles from my house... guess we'll travel across the country to see/do the same we could do here.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Chain said:
Sounds like Estes Park that is 60 miles from my house... guess we'll travel across the country to see/do the same we could do here.
It's about 2 hours from where I'm at right now, and the riding is pretty nice. Wish I got there (to ride) more often.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Nice riding, and nice outdoorsy stuff to do aside from the usual tourist fare like mini-golf.

Rent some boats and head out on the lake. Go find a beach or some cliffs and jump in for a swim.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
My Mom is from Glens Falls, about 10 miles south of the Lake, and I spent a huge portion of my childhood there. I brought my kids up for a weekend about a month ago, and had a great time. Rented a boat, went to the fort, walked around...

Rob is partially correct - it is very campy in Lake George Village, but there is a ton to do and see if you leave the Village. Everything from hiking to cycling, climbing, kayaking, canoeing, etc...

LG is a great place for a reunion, and it's also a great place to ride. Just avoid Rt 9.

Glens Falls has the Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Chilis, etc. LGV has smaller places.

You don't mention when you're going - if it's in the very near future (next couple of months), then keep in mind that a lot of the attractions and restaurants have closed for the season.

If the reunion is for next spring/summer, then keep in mind that many people from NYC, New Jersey and Canada vacation at LG for most of the summer.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
murbike said:
My Mom is from Glens Falls, about 10 miles south of the Lake, and I spent a huge portion of my childhood there. I brought my kids up for a weekend about a month ago, and had a great time. Rented a boat, went to the fort, walked around...

Rob is partially correct - it is very campy in Lake George Village, but there is a ton to do and see if you leave the Village. Everything from hiking to cycling, climbing, kayaking, canoeing, etc...

LG is a great place for a reunion, and it's also a great place to ride. Just avoid Rt 9.

Glens Falls has the Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Chilis, etc. LGV has smaller places.

You don't mention when you're going - if it's in the very near future (next couple of months), then keep in mind that a lot of the attractions and restaurants have closed for the season.

If the reunion is for next spring/summer, then keep in mind that many people from NYC, New Jersey and Canada vacation at LG for most of the summer.
I think the plan is for next August. They want to have it back east so the east-coast-in-laws can join, but nobody has mentioned it to any of them yet. :rolleyes: Mrs Chain and I proposed asking them soon or planning a Disney cruise to the bahamas. :D

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
I can't believe that anyone didn't bring up Serotta! Factory is in Saratoga Springs, NY about 1.5-2hrs south. Just off the freeway. Good time and met some good peeps. I do not own a Serotta BTW...

Lake George, Saranac Lake, and Lake Placid are all really close by. It's very much a tourist trap. Very beautiful in the spring/fall and lots to see. Just not a whole lot to do...

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Lake George is a great place to go. I've been a couple of times. Yes its kinda campy/touristy. But lots of activities to do if you like the outdoors. Been horseback riding, visited the old fort, taken the ferry on the lake for a nice tour.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OldSkoolFatGuy said:
I can't believe that anyone didn't bring up Serotta! Factory is in Saratoga Springs, NY about 1.5-2hrs south. Just off the freeway. Good time and met some good peeps. I do not own a Serotta BTW...

Lake George, Saranac Lake, and Lake Placid are all really close by. It's very much a tourist trap. Very beautiful in the spring/fall and lots to see. Just not a whole lot to do...
That would actually be fun. My wife and I both are riding Serottas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.