Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so there's an argument that vanity plates are lame by definition.

But on the way to work yesterday morning, I came across a set of plates on a rustbucket econobox.

I POWN U

1) Clever. Except, not.

2) Car was in process of being towed. I hate schadenfreude, except when it fills me with glee.

3) yeah, the obvious bit.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
I think paying extra money for a vanity plate is lame all by itself.
The one time I did it, I got Kode Svn, Code 7 being the police code for out to lunch. Cops dug it and it got me out of more than one ticket.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
It seems I have a couple coirkers that have lame plates as well. One guy is a HP-UNIX admin and his is "UNIX DR". I can't decide which is more lame that plate or his bumper sticker that says "got root?" I have another coirker that's a huge Jesus freak. His motorcycle has "Son Pwrd" on the plate and his car has "its gods". I've got no beef with either...both good guys....but c'mon, enough of the lame-o plates.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
How about vanity plates that are just one more advertisement for what kind of car you're driving? Bonus points for keeping those plates with a new car, so you're advertising for something you no longer own.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
After my grandpa finished restoring the 54 Ford he got vanity pates that said "New 54"

I thought that was fine, but I'm generally against them.

joe

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
I've never really understood the whole vanity plate thing. Does that mean I'm not vain? :D

I did, however, pay an extra $20 for the Share the Road tag on my car.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Jeebus, the LAST thing I want to do is make it easier for people to remember by plate.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Hollywood said:
thanks for sharing. Now GTF outta your HOTEL ROOM.

// I know, I know... the mirrors.

HW - wishes I woulda got 'OMG WTF' plates before anyone knew what was happening. :D
Probably not too late to get HTFU. Unless Endo already has 'em on order.

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
kykr13 said:
How about vanity plates that are just one more advertisement for what kind of car you're driving? Bonus points for keeping those plates with a new car, so you're advertising for something you no longer own.
I agree, those are lame. Like a red Porsche 911 with a plate that says RED 911. Um, thanks, I never would have known that.

Perhaps this serves an evolutionary purpose though, as it signals the owners utter lack of creativity and imagination to the opposite sex.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
lets_ride said:
I did, however, pay an extra $20 for the Share the Road tag on my car.
Stupid Indiana. Our Share the Road plate hasn't been chosen by the state for at least the last 3 or 4 years while others easily slide through. That's the only one I'd actually bother paying extra for.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Stupid Indiana. Our Share the Road plate hasn't been chosen by the state for at least the last 3 or 4 years while others easily slide through. That's the only one I'd actually bother paying extra for.
We had someone who arranged a big push for pre-orders. I think we had to get 1000 to ensure the plates were made. It was a race to see if we'd get plate status before the NASCAR plates did. Those didn't come out until this year. :p

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
After my grandpa finished restoring the 54 Ford he got vanity pates that said "New 54"
That's cool, and so was DRM BRKS on a Corvette (about '64? It was the last year it had drum brakes on all four). RED 911, etc is Captain Lameo.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
For a historical vehicle, it's useful. But I remember when my sister's friend got a 1977 Trans Am, and her license plate said "MY77TA." It was 1977 at the time. LAME.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
There is a 4x4 AMC Eagle running around town with a plate that says "BUMVEE" I thought that was pretty funny.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts