Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
BigFatOne said:
I guess all that stuff Walsh wrote in his book must be true, because lance gave up his court case

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt=As7hLDihFLZb5ifSu0uVlAd.grcF?slug=afp-cyclingfrausatour&prov=afp&type=lgns
Walsh & Co. were discredited at the arbitration hearings (he was heavily involved in orchestrating the "defense" -and no doubt a highly paid "expert"). And since his book is nothing but hearsay & rumor (much of it by paid contributors) LA (or Stapleton) prolly doesn't see the cost/benefit working out right now....that book doesn't really affect the American Public's perceptions the way that press stories can, so why spend a million bucks to take it to trial....???

Until the full text of the arbitration hearings gets leaked (instead of just snipets to support specific argueing points - pro & con) we will have to rely on what we see in the press. Anyone following the "Puerto" affair can see a perfect current example of how the press coverage is contradictory and innacurate on a day-to-day basis as reporters (gee, wasn't Walsh a reporter once/) rush to be the first out with the story (for their personal glory) without fact checking.....

But with each new scene in the drama, the haters will continue to hate, and the fanboys continue to cheer, with little regard for the script.....me?,
I am just waiting for the fatlady to sing :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
BigFatOne said:
I guess all that stuff Walsh wrote in his book must be true, because lance gave up his court case

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_yl...slug=afp-cyclingfrausatour&prov=afp&type=lgns
I don't understand your logic here... how does the fact that Lance dropped the charges equate to "all that stuff Walsh wrote in his book must be true"? How the heck do you draw that conclusion?

People drop/settle law suits all of the time, and it's really hard to draw conclusions from that action alone without any actual data.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
bas said:
Because we don't like cheats who steal titles.
I don't really care about cheaters because it is only a game, but I have a problem with guys who act like the bigger the lie the more you are supposed to believe it. If he had taken a low key approach and just issued a few stock denials and paid little attention to all the accusations it wouldn't be so completely obnoxious and insulting to the intelligence of cycling fans (such as it is).

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,341 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
blackhat said:
that's rich. weren't you just complaining about lemond in another thread? doping allegatons will haunt LA forever, or until he comes clean.
I noted that Greg Lemond doesn't appear to have moved on (much to the diminution of his legacy). More fool he and more fools those who don't get on with the rest of their lives.

Lance is over, get over it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You Should Take Up

bas said:
Because we don't like cheats who steal titles.
Sudoku or crossword puzzles then.

There are cheaters in every sport but you can't convict them until they've been caught! Where's your proof?

From what I've read in recent weeks, even if he doped, he was playing in an even field!!

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
James OCLV said:
I don't understand your logic here... how does the fact that Lance dropped the charges equate to "all that stuff Walsh wrote in his book must be true"? How the heck do you draw that conclusion?

People drop/settle law suits all of the time, and it's really hard to draw conclusions from that action alone without any actual data.
I love the "until he comes clean" response - pretty much like "have you stopped beating your wife?"

I have no way of knowing whether Lance doped or not. But not only was he the most tested guy around, he was also the most closely watched. He had less privacy than anyone else in the peloton. So even though the testing is lame, it's a little hard for me to see how he could be consistently doping without L'Equipe at least having pix of some assistant loading bags of blood into a Budweiser cooler.

He's won something like 20 of these lawsuits and arbitration hearings in a row. When he drops one, you wonder why, but I can reasonably guess that at some point you just get tired of putting that much energy into it.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
what does he have to gain?

he doesn't need the money, he's winning the PR war. Suing would just make him look petty. he's retired, his legacy is intact, to pursue it would make him look petty or as if he had something still to prove (thou doth protest too much!). By doing nothing he makes himself appear unconcerned with it, above it, because it is all just petty speculation, unsubstantiated rumor and non-science.

Guys are still trying to fight the battles but he's already won the war (on the P-R front)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.