Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
badder2 said:
With the current suspensions an aging Lance probably could have kicked some butt in this tour and won his 8th straight.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda
whatevva:rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trevor! said:
Coulda, shoulda, woulda!

Who cares? This is a great race without him!
Agreed, although I really enjoyed Lance's ability not to get caught .....er I mean win 7 years in a row it should be a lot more exciting this year with dominate rider.

Go Floyd!

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
I think Lance would have won number 8 with or without the recent suspensions.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The dullest tours I ever saw

were 2001 and 2005. HO-HUM dude! Not that I've seen that many tours but those two were real yawners IMHO!
I'm really going to miss him and yet I'm sooo glad he's gone!
Bruyneel one time responded to an interviewers question on why Lance didnt win with a little more panache in 2005 saying; "Panache? Panache? I think winning 7 tours is panache enough". I don't. I thought it was dull and I was dissapointed in the predictability and lack of brains some of the riders had! I wish he would have dehydrated more often!:D rantrantrant..(where'd that come from?).

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
cheddarlove said:
were 2001 and 2005. HO-HUM dude! Not that I've seen that many tours but those two were real yawners IMHO!
I'm really going to miss him and yet I'm sooo glad he's gone!
Bruyneel one time responded to an interviewers question on why Lance didnt win with a little more panache in 2005 saying; "Panache? Panache? I think winning 7 tours is panache enough". I don't. I thought it was dull and I was dissapointed in the predictability and lack of brains some of the riders had! I wish he would have dehydrated more often!:D rantrantrant..(where'd that come from?).
I think all Tours are exciting in many ways. 2001 and 2005 may seem "dull", but only in retrospect. There was a lot of doubt and threats and sub-stories.

And part of why we like the Tour is because we get to see the best riders competing head-to-head. Otherwise, why wouldn't we watch Tour of Scottland or Tour of New Zealand (or a local nameless crit) - if all we wanted is to be in suspense as to who wins, regardless of who it is?

Maybe we should eliminate top 20 picks from every Tour. That should make it much more exicitng, no?

Somehow we want it both ways. We want to see the best cyclists race against each other, but get upset if the favorite to win turns out to be better than the others.

·
here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
Blazin' Saddles said:
"Could HAVE had" -- Conditional perfect if I'm not mistaken.
Thank God I'm not the one who had to say it. The last thing I need to become is a grammar nazi, but that was bugging the hell out of me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What else did LeMond say?

MB1 said:
Unlike Greg Lemond.:17:
He got my goat today/tonight on OLN
"I was first . . . my legacy . . .cycling doesn't define me . . . Lance won't find anything else to make him happy . . ."

He sounds like Barry Bonds.

Eddie and Bernard both look dignified with a little extra poundage. Greg they only photograph from the neck up.

·
MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
55x11 said:
It would appear that way. Especially with this field, on this course. Easily the largest margin of all of his wins.
Remeber the tour isn't just about wining. There are many other important aspects. Green/White/Polka Dot kersey, Top 5 places, finishing (something you and I would never be able to do in a hurry).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.