Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Not much of a Lance fan, but I'll bet he can sub 3 hour the marathon. It'll bring more awareness to the sport, so that would be good. (As well as show that cyclists are athletes, not just people that ride the bike a lot).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lance again

Hey,

Maybe he will return to his roots and start doing triathalons again or maybe even follow Ned and compete in the Xterra or something similar. Wherever he goes, he is going to draw a crowd whether you like him or not...

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Lance is ruining the sport

Lance will never be considered among the running greats like Alberto Salazar, Jim Fixx, etc. as long as he trains for and only races in the NYC marathon. If he wins, it will be only be due to the fact that his competitor had the courage to do the Boston marathon and the NYC marathon double.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Geez

The guy is just going for a run, and someone is already downplaying the importance of his win. Let him run for christsake and have a life. And by the way, I haven't seen any proof of any doping at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only marathon I've heard of is the Boston marathon (not real into running). So the fact that is Lance running the NY marathon should, in my opinion, be a good thing for the sport. Look what him winning the TDF did for road riding. Sure, a lot of the new riders aren't as die hard as some of us, but who cares. Riding is riding, and running is running. If more people start competing in marathons, or tri's, then how is this sooooo bad? I still can't believe people have such hatred for the guy. He rides a bike like the rest of us, and he's pretty fast too. Get a life people.

G

·
I would love his life in many ways.

He was in my hometown the other day, dropped in for a visit with one of his friends in town - came in for the morning - they went for a 90 mile ride, had dinner and then he left the next morning.

Pretty nice, I think he will do well in the marathon as he has nothing riding on it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
He is NOT going to come close to winning but I'm sure he'll be in the 2:30 range which is great for a non professional runner.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Don't Think He's Tryin to Win the Thing...

...because the quotes i have read are about him finding a way to "fill the void" now that he isn't cycling competitively. i also think he is using it as a way to keep his name out there, not for himself so much, but more for the cancer research aspect.

and bring more people to the sport? hate to break it to you guys, but more people in the US can name two running races (marathons-5Ks) than can name two bike races (stage races-crits). check your local events calendar. chances are there is a 5K race within an hour of where you live this weekend. and have you seen how many people jog compared to those that bike?

sometimes i forget this at work and end up sounding like an idiot. like trying to explain this year's paris-roubaix. or when last week during a meeting someone said, "we need to roll this out in early june. i'm goin to italy the last two weeks of that month and the first week of july." and i replied, "aw, man! youre gonna miss the giro. maybe you could swing up and see the start of the tour." blank stares from everyone in the meeting, followed by "what's the giro? like mardi gras in rome or something?"

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
1234tuba said:
Ahh, just caught the "wink," jesse. I take back the slight hostillity.
No problem. We'll just take it and direct it towards the people who would post what I did with no wink and not a hint of sarcasm intended. They're out there.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Oops

Sorry, I didn't see the wink either. I guess I'm overly sensitive to the doping thing. I've seen way too much made of it and way too little evidence of any wrong-doing at all in his case and others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts