Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting that LA is picking Jan atthis early stage rather than Basso. I thought he was better friends with Basso - but I guess its earlyand people can really take any old guess at this point.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I suspect it's the old psych-out.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i agree with rc. lance and ivan are really good friends and so i wouldn't put it past lance to try and put the pressure on jan. if jan is the marked man, he'll have more pressure on him than basso.

G

·
Maybe he thinks that if Basso does the Giro, Ullrich (who supposedly is in really good form for this time of year) will be too strong. And LA has alot of respect for Jan, even though they are not good friends like LA and Basso.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Umm, OK...

cmatcan said:
i agree with rc. lance and ivan are really good friends and so i wouldn't put it past lance to try and put the pressure on jan. if jan is the marked man, he'll have more pressure on him than basso.
Let's see, every year since Jan made his Tour debut he has been a marked man, it's not going to be any different this year. Jan is still the favorite, still has the most experience, and still has the most second places (at least out of guys still racing) in the Tour, he has been, and always will be (as long as he's racing) a favorite for the Tour, he'll always be marked. The pressure is already there. He's gotten used to it by now, but I'm sure it still weighs on him.

From my understanding, Lance is "friends" as much as he can be friends with anyone, with both Basso and Ullrich.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Old_school_nik said:
Interesting that LA is picking Jan atthis early stage rather than Basso. I thought he was better friends with Basso - but I guess its earlyand people can really take any old guess at this point.

Thoughts?
Does it matter this far out? Armstrong looked like a bloated pig at Paris-Nice last year and could hardly follow the pace in the bunch and decimated everyone at Tour time.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Cycling definition of "bloated pig" - millimeter of meat covering several ribs.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
don't know about that.

AJL said:
And LA has alot of respect for Jan, even though they are not good friends like LA and Basso.
didn't he refer to Jan as a "f___ing chump" in the latter part of Coyle's book? something about Jan staying inside and riding the trainer and Lance braving the headwinds of the hudson river, I think. I don't really think LA has much respect for anyone outside his circle of sycophants. even they're not safe, mike anderson being a good example.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
hmmmmm

blackhat said:
didn't he refer to Jan as a "f___ing chump" in the latter part of Coyle's book? something about Jan staying inside and riding the trainer and Lance braving the headwinds of the hudson river, I think. I don't really think LA has much respect for anyone outside his circle of sycophants. even they're not safe, mike anderson being a good example.
I think its also a possibility that on the bike, he is a very different person than off the bike.

Otherwise, none of these folks are there because they are super nice open minded people at race time. They come to win. As has been said, IF basso does the Giro and shows up at the TDF, he very well may NOT have it. I have no idea why they want him at the Giro.

IMO, if he came to the TDF, with no Giro in the legs, he would be very hard to beat.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
He had...

ttug said:
I think its also a possibility that on the bike, he is a very different person than off the bike.

Otherwise, none of these folks are there because they are super nice open minded people at race time. They come to win. As has been said, IF basso does the Giro and shows up at the TDF, he very well may NOT have it. I have no idea why they want him at the Giro.

IMO, if he came to the TDF, with no Giro in the legs, he would be very hard to beat.
They want Basso at the Giro simply because he's Italian. To be Italian and to win The Giro is even better than winning le Tour. Also, I think he promised his mother that he'd win the Giro for her on her death bed. What more motivation could you want than that? I read that last bit in Cycle Sport I think.

I think you're incorrect in that these guys can't be "nice" and "open minded" even when at a race. I know a lot of people who are super competitive a-holes when riding in a race, but as soon as you cross the line, they switch back into nice people.

Last year Basso came to the Tour with the Giro in his legs, and if not once again for the on form all powerful Lance, he would have won the Tour last year right? So what's not to say that he can't do both and possibly win both? It has been done in the past and as recent as 1998, OK, so that's not that recent, but it's still possible.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I don't know who's more full of BS - Lance picking Ullrich for the win, or Ullrich saying the course doesn't suit him (Maybe he was hoping for one long slightly uphill constant grade 3400km TT?).

Given LA's endless enemies list and Basso's refusal of the discovery contract offer I wouldn't be that surprised if Basso is on that list now. On the other hand LA may respect Ullrich's talent but has nothing but disdain for his determination and motivation so it's hard to believe his pick is genuine. I suspect the main purpose in picking Ullrich or of anything LA these days is to keep LA in the media spotlight. Making a public pick, no matter who it is, accomplishes that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ivan is such a boss tycoon

I read that Jan is gonna race the Giro this year as well. Daayyumm showdown in a GT before the Tour. The Giro rocks so hard. I'm confident Basso would have won the Giro if it hadn't been for that disaterous day on the Stelvio. Even after he lost over 20min. @ the summit, he didn't give up. that to me is the sign of a true champion. Ivan's my pick, but it's a close one. the TT's this year could help Jan, and he is looking better than ever this time of year. T-Mobile even copied CSC's winter survival camp! not as hardcore, though. any way, looking forward to an awesome Giro and great Tour.

You all should come out to the Tour de California next month. it's gonna kick so much ass. I'm so stoked. I'm in the Bay Area. See you there!

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
good point

magnolialover said:
They want Basso at the Giro simply because he's Italian. To be Italian and to win The Giro is even better than winning le Tour. Also, I think he promised his mother that he'd win the Giro for her on her death bed. What more motivation could you want than that? I read that last bit in Cycle Sport I think.

I think you're incorrect in that these guys can't be "nice" and "open minded" even when at a race. I know a lot of people who are super competitive a-holes when riding in a race, but as soon as you cross the line, they switch back into nice people.

Last year Basso came to the Tour with the Giro in his legs, and if not once again for the on form all powerful Lance, he would have won the Tour last year right? So what's not to say that he can't do both and possibly win both? It has been done in the past and as recent as 1998, OK, so that's not that recent, but it's still possible.
I agree that yes, there are some nice folks, UNTIL THE RACE STATS. Then as you said, swithch off after the race. A very close friend who was a junior at 7-11 was exactly the same way. Hang out, drink, train; give you anything you needed etc etc . THEN THE RACE. You know what? I didnt know him then. Weird I guess. At a certain level, its ego and lungs and legs........

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i think you're confusing phonak with t-mobile.

t-mobile did not do a military styled 'outward bound' bonding camp.

sgt_hedgehog said:
T-Mobile even copied CSC's winter survival camp! not as hardcore, though.

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
sgt_hedgehog said:
I read that Jan is gonna race the Giro this year as well. Daayyumm showdown in a GT before the Tour. The Giro rocks so hard. I'm confident Basso would have won the Giro if it hadn't been for that disaterous day on the Stelvio. Even after he lost over 20min. @ the summit, he didn't give up. that to me is the sign of a true champion. Ivan's my pick, but it's a close one. the TT's this year could help Jan, and he is looking better than ever this time of year. T-Mobile even copied CSC's winter survival camp! not as hardcore, though. any way, looking forward to an awesome Giro and great Tour.

You all should come out to the Tour de California next month. it's gonna kick so much ass. I'm so stoked. I'm in the Bay Area. See you there!
It won't be much of a showdown b/w Ullrich & Basso @ the Giro. Ullrich's targeting the Tour, so he won't be much of a factor @ the Giro, whereas it's no secret that Basso has every intention of pulling off the double.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Definitely...

ttug said:
I agree that yes, there are some nice folks, UNTIL THE RACE STATS. Then as you said, swithch off after the race. A very close friend who was a junior at 7-11 was exactly the same way. Hang out, drink, train; give you anything you needed etc etc . THEN THE RACE. You know what? I didnt know him then. Weird I guess. At a certain level, its ego and lungs and legs........
Definitely highly agree with that. Myself, I'm pretty damn laid back, pretty quiet, and just low key, but when I get into a race, or even just a hard training ride, something switches in my brain. I start to talk junk, and become overly competitive, but before and after the race/ride, I'm all good. I have a lot of friends like that as well. Although, when in a race, I like to joke around a lot, if I can breathe that is. I think even at all levels, there is still a lot of ego, lungs, and legs.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
botto said:
i think you're confusing phonak with t-mobile.

t-mobile did not do a military styled 'outward bound' bonding camp.
They may not have worn fatigues like Phonak, but they did do unconventional team building excercises.

Team building for T-Mobile

The 2006 season has already kicked-off for the T-Mobile team, with riders gathering together for the first time in Munich and Vienna. A team building session in Montafon/Austria gave the team a chance to tackle a few challenges in the Alps to develop team cohesion, along with two days of ergometric testing, meetings and a photoshoot in Munich for team captain Jan Ullrich and his 28 team-mates.

The team then travelled into the Alps for a two and half day team building session. Applying new methods to enhance communication, trust and the sharing of responsibility within the team, riders got to work in the mountains, with a strong focus on integrating the 12 new riders into the team fold. The motto for the session was "Action, reflection, transfer", with riders trekking up to the Lindauer cabin (1744 metres) through heavy snowfall, sharing a communal cooking session and constructing a ropeway to cross a canyon in freezing temperatures.

"We went into a lot of these challenges, thinking we would never manage it!" said Ullrich. "But everybody weighed in so that we devised the right strategy to achieve our goals. It was very motivating and is bound to help us in the coming season." New recruit Linus Gerdemann agreed: "Of course, we were already fully aware of the importance of teamwork. However, the exercises in the Alps brought home the importance of staying calm and communicating with each other in critical and hectic situations."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/nov05/nov22news

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
But wzq622 said he was a fatso, que?

Old_school_nik said:

Thoughts?
Big ol' tub of lard. Never heard that before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts