· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from the Des Moines Register

Will Lance Armstrong ride RAGBRAI this year?Lance skips France in favor of Iowa
BY JOHN CARLSON
THE REGISTER

June 27, 2006

Lance Armstrong, winner of the Tour de France the last seven consecutive years, is passing up Paris this summer to ride RAGBRAI.

Barry Jackson of the Lance Armstrong Foundation confirmed Tuesday that Armstrong hopes to ride at least one day of the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa.

"We're trying to figure out the logistics right now, but we know Lance is coming to Iowa and he is going to be a part of RAGBRAI," said Jackson.

RAGBRAI, the oldest and largest event of its kind in the United States, begins in Sergeant Bluff on July 23 and ends July 29 in Muscatine. Along the way, there are overnight stops in Ida Grove, Audubon, Waukee, Newton, Marengo and Coralville.

"We think we might be part of a huge event we hear they're having in Newton," said Jackson. "Lance is really excited about this. He's known about RAGBRAI for a very long time and now he's going to have the opportunity to be a part of it."

· Old enough to know better
720 Posts
Honestly I d rather he stayed home and trained for his marathon or whatever. Many people who participate in RAGBRAI use it as a vacation, I dont think it will be much of a vacation with the LA circus in town. Also him being here will very likely make the roads that much more unsafe for the thousands traveling. I got nothin against LA, but if he wanted to take part in RAGBRAI why not just show up? Why the press release? Most likely The Register is gonna use this to make some cash somehow I m sure. Sorry if this comes off as bitter but alot of people have worked hard to bring the "family ride" aspect back to RAGBRAI and all this media attention may not help.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Celebrities are part of the RAGBRAI experience. They often come to ride a few days. Greg Lemond has visited Iowa for RAGBRAI, although to my knowledge did not ride. John Howard has ridden with his daughter. Tom Arnold, a native Iowan, rides it every few years. Politicians often come out and ride a few miles. I think it is inevitable that Lance was eventually going to wind up in Iowa, but not this soon. I think it will be another great chapter in the rides history.

· Registered
90 Posts
deastin said:
Sorry if this comes off as bitter but alot of people have worked hard to bring the "family ride" aspect back to RAGBRAI and all this media attention may not help.
You are right it does come off as bitter. I've ridden a few RAGBRAIs too, and I think it's great that Lance will be there this year. I wish I was too.

· Old enough to know better
720 Posts
I dont think I d really say celebs are "part" of the ride they just go up and piggyback on the name and get some more media exposure. I guess thats where my negitivity comes from here is I m thinking whats the catch. I m from Iowa, born & raised. Believe me when people like LA come to Iowa there is a reason. Yes its great that he wants to be part of the ride, but is he coming to just ride a day and be in the ride or mess up a day for everyone?

· Administrator
13,151 Posts
deastin said:
I dont think I d really say celebs are "part" of the ride they just go up and piggyback on the name and get some more media exposure. I guess thats where my negitivity comes from here is I m thinking whats the catch. I m from Iowa, born & raised. Believe me when people like LA come to Iowa there is a reason. Yes its great that he wants to be part of the ride, but is he coming to just ride a day and be in the ride or mess up a day for everyone?
Yeah cause Lance definitely needs the media pop riding RAGBRAI can give you.

:rolleyes:

· Registered
6,422 Posts
family affair???

RAGBRAI a family event?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Phew, let me catch my breath...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!

Man, that's the best one that I've heard in years. I have never heard that ride called that. In between the massive amounts of beer that is swilled in every single town along the route, to the scantily clad people riding it, yep, sure is a GREAT place to bring the family.

· Registered
15 Posts
RAGBRAI is what ever you want it to be. It is a ride that can satisfy any taste as long as you like riding a bicycle. I have been on the ride the last 5 years and I doubt I will see the hype of Lance really affecting me. It will affect those that want to chase him down and hound him for a autograph etc.

As many RAGBRAI riders know what you see during the day depends on the time you leave. I would bet there will even be many people who will fit into the Lance who?

It was mentioned in the DesMoines Register that he was going to push for a Pres. that would support cancer research so it is clear if that is true his motivation for going on the ride.

I for one wish he would just ride unannouced then he could truly use RAGBRAI for what it is to many people.

It has been said many celebrity's have ridden this ride and many people never knew they were even on the ride as it is very easy to slip under the radar when you are wearing a helmet and sun glasses.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
magnolialover said:
RAGBRAI a family event?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Phew, let me catch my breath...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!

Man, that's the best one that I've heard in years. I have never heard that ride called that. In between the massive amounts of beer that is swilled in every single town along the route, to the scantily clad people riding it, yep, sure is a GREAT place to bring the family.
There are many aspects to RAGBRAI, and I find it hard to believe that it all gets narrowed down to just a party ride. If you want it to be a party ride, sure you can easily make it that. However, there are many families and people who ride RAGBRAI not to take part in the drunken beer slides. I have seen families all ride the same bike, they haul their kids behind trailers, and their kids ride along. You can navigate away from the many things. If you are looking for it, you will find it. I, myself, have met a lot of incredible people that are there to ride and not to get drunk. For many of my friends that race, it has been a great training ride to hook up with other USCF guys around the country. On any given day in RAGBRAI, there are multiple pacelines going with people who are there because of the bike. I hate the overgeneralization of RAGBRAI as just a party. At night, there are events for families and there of course are the wild parties. I guess it all depends on which RAGBRAI you want to observe. I have been a part of it all. From hanging out at a church for all you can eat pasta, to the beer tents.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Mr Wood said:
Tom Arnold is hardly a celebrity. :)
he rode the year I did RAGBRAI...we never saw him on route. I think his limo drove him within a few miles of town and droppped him off.

· Registered
90 Posts
There are many aspects to RAGBRAI, and I find it hard to believe that it all gets narrowed down to just a party ride. If you want it to be a party ride, sure you can easily make it that. However, there are many families and people who ride RAGBRAI not to take part in the drunken beer slides. I have seen families all ride the same bike, they haul their kids behind trailers, and their kids ride along. You can navigate away from the many things. If you are looking for it, you will find it. I, myself, have met a lot of incredible people that are there to ride and not to get drunk. For many of my friends that race, it has been a great training ride to hook up with other USCF guys around the country. On any given day in RAGBRAI, there are multiple pacelines going with people who are there because of the bike. I hate the overgeneralization of RAGBRAI as just a party. At night, there are events for families and there of course are the wild parties. I guess it all depends on which RAGBRAI you want to observe. I have been a part of it all. From hanging out at a church for all you can eat pasta, to the beer tents.
I agree. Ithink I've probably consumed about two beers per RAGBRAI. I'm there to enjoy the bike, Iowa and Iowans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.