Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MADONE in Lance tribute

Hi. first excuse my grammar as English is my second language, I own
five bikes and yes I have to hear my wife's mouth once in while . Anyways I always
like Lance Armstrong so I decided to get an American made bike and since Lance
rides a TREK , I got a trek , an used 07 madone 6.5 SSL , after a month with the
bike I felt something was missing the bike is great but I just don't feel connected to
the bike, to make the long history short. I decided to paint the bike with a
Lance Armstrong LIVESTRONG theme, Yes the yellow and black should do the
trick and to start the loving affair with the bike I should do the job myself WOW,
Here are some pictures of the work so far, comments, suggestions ,ideas are welcome .Thanks

I want the bike to look something like this, but I don't want a copy of this bike.

Here's the bike before the work started,

Bike was disassemble Sunday and by Monday started doing some sanding, Wow
TREK sure put lots of clear coats in this frame which is fine with me since I want to use the old paint as a primer, I started with 150 sandpaper with
no problem of eating out all the clear coat and finished with 320 sandpaper .

Today Tuesday I managed to paint the frame satin black and later in the
evening I started sand blocking the frame, for sure started looking real good
check the pics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lance Tribute

Ok here is the latest.
On Wednesday I applied one last thin coal of black color followed by one wet coat of clear, today Thursday I did more block sanding, the bike started looking very good there is not orange peal and really looks smooth like glass,there is already some shine without any wax. I'm now waiting for the decals, stencils and is time to
make final decisions as to the paint theme, If any of you
have any good ideas please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Lance Tribute

I'm also working in removing the Dura-ace decals, again
is hard to believe the amount of clear paint they'd thrown
to this wheels, anyway they coming along nice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
first of all, respect for the amount of work you put into your project! i am particularly interested in your project because i ride a 2007 6.9 ssl (the white decals on your frame are silver on my frame) and i was once considering a repaint too. in the end, i didn't do it because the paint scheme that would serve as basic idea for my "project one of a kind" would only look good on newer madones with beefier tubing.

however, why didn't you completely sand the frame? i understand that you wanted to use the existing paint as a primer, but why not sand it, prime coat it and then paint it? just a question... was it just not to waste time?

and, admitting that i am not a paint expert, what is all the block sanding about?

please, keep posting as your project progresses, you do an awesome job here! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hello
Hey Daddy yo-yo , to answer you first question as to why didn't I completely sand the frame, I choose not to go all the way to the carbon because there's not need, the paint still in good condition and it will serve as good or better than new primer, second I'm not taking any chances of going too deep into the carbon and compromising the integrity of the frame, as to you second question related to block sanding.
"One of the steps involved in body work preparation before a car is painted is a system called "block sanding".This is an all important step which allows you to obtain very flat smooth surface before the paint is applied.All high end paint jobs go through the block sanding process which insures that excellent flat finish!"
Take a look of picture # 6 you'll see the shiny dots (darker), those are low spots,(also known as orange peal) and the idea is to have a very flat surface, that is why there's a $3,000.00 paint jobs and a show quality $12,000.00 paint job in the car industry, there is a lot of sanding to get a show quality paint job.
Anyway, I'm taking the day off today, still waiting for decals I may work in the
wheels later. Signing off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
bianch342 said:
Hello
Hey Daddy yo-yo , to answer you first question as to why didn't I completely sand the frame, I choose not to go all the way to the carbon because there's not need, the paint still in good condition and it will serve as good or better than new primer, second I'm not taking any chances of going too deep into the carbon and compromising the integrity of the frame, as to you second question related to block sanding.
"One of the steps involved in body work preparation before a car is painted is a system called "block sanding".This is an all important step which allows you to obtain very flat smooth surface before the paint is applied.All high end paint jobs go through the block sanding process which insures that excellent flat finish!"
Take a look of picture # 6 you'll see the shiny dots (darker), those are low spots,(also known as orange peal) and the idea is to have a very flat surface, that is why there's a $3,000.00 paint jobs and a show quality $12,000.00 paint job in the car industry, there is a lot of sanding to get a show quality paint job.
Anyway, I'm taking the day off today, still waiting for decals I may work in the
wheels later. Signing off.
hi and thank you for your quick reply! i just googled "block sanding" and was wondering what sanding block did you use?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lance Tribute

Hello
Come on guys, I need some ideas for the wheels
this problem has me completely stuck, any painting
designs,...... need help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm loosing my patience waiting for the decals
I made a wheels test run paint job, I'm not sold
in this paint job , but I'm going to wait until
a get the decals and the frame is completely
painted to have a better look once is all together.
Here's a couple of pictures
Please let me know what you think about the wheels.
Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
madone

Quick update in my project, still waiting for stencils....
they should be ready for pick up on Tuesday, I painted
the TREK logos and clear coated the frame one more time , hopefully
by Wednesday I'll paint all the remaining yellow graphics, here are
a couple of pictures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
madone

Hello, well finally this Saturday I got the stencils + decals, I managed to paint
a couple of the graphics, I tried to rush the work and for sure I messed up
the paint, I had to remove all the paint from the fork
anyway here is a couple of pictures this time for sure I'm going to let the paint fully cure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks CLIPZ , tons of work left. I have a question for you and
everybody also, If you have to add another color as a trim or wherever
which color would you choose ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, I agree white is also my first choice, I painted a trek logo under the down tube
some days ago, since then I had been thinking in doing some white trim.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts