Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Tour of Algarve......Lance's Madone lacks the aero seat tube and down tube.....hmmmm....any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
from a poster on another forum, that was a beta frame made before the Madone, as a testbed for the top tube and rear cluster. Lance decided to use it as a training-ish setup with the SRM. not my info, the poster claims to have a source inside Trek.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
Second Opinion

weiwentg said:
from a poster on another forum, that was a beta frame made before the Madone, as a testbed for the top tube and rear cluster. Lance decided to use it as a training-ish setup with the SRM. not my info, the poster claims to have a source inside Trek.

Nothing personal here weiwentg but I don't think this is an old Beta bike....what you have is Trek damage control. This has the potential to big backlash at the dealer level. There are many unfilled outstanding orders and a new commemorative $7000 bike that JUST started shipping last week.

I had two seperate sources who are much closer to LA's day-to-day dealings than a Trek level employee tell me today that this is a 2005 Madone or 05 Beta. My sources are from Lances camp so they'd have less to hide than Trek. Without having seen the picture one asked me "Does the bike have Madone TT, Madone rear end, and 5900 seat tube and down tube?"

Thats my spin and I'm stickin' to it......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Lance and the boys at Trek are just playing mind games with all of us, not to mention the competition...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Heck, if playing around with frame changes is a competition mind game them T-mobile and their giants has to take the cake....


but seriously folks... somebody at Trek or USPS thinks they have a better bike, it's getting tested out :) no big deal. If it's the real thing we'll see it in the TDF, if not, oh well. After last years frame flip flops between the 5900 and the 5.9 I'm personally hoping that Lance get's his equipment lined up before the Tour of Georgia. Also interesting is how the rest of the team is lined up on regular old Madones. Will Azevedo or Beltran be riding 5900's in the mountains this year?


RemingtonShowdown said:
Lance and the boys at Trek are just playing mind games with all of us, not to mention the competition...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Nothing personal here weiwentg but I don't think this is an old Beta bike....what you have is Trek damage control. This has the potential to big backlash at the dealer level. There are many unfilled outstanding orders and a new commemorative $7000 bike that JUST started shipping last week.

I had two seperate sources who are much closer to LA's day-to-day dealings than a Trek level employee tell me today that this is a 2005 Madone or 05 Beta. My sources are from Lances camp so they'd have less to hide than Trek. Without having seen the picture one asked me "Does the bike have Madone TT, Madone rear end, and 5900 seat tube and down tube?"

Thats my spin and I'm stickin' to it......
well, it was someone else's info, so I'm not taking it personally ...
... but are they downgrading the Madone?
 

·
Get me to In&Out
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
I am truly offended by USPS for ditching the blue tap. Black is boring and slow. Who was the last rider to win the Tour on black tape anyways? White is the color of champions, but blue seemed to be working too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
More intel...or spin

More info creeping in the more I investigate. It indeed is a new bike and did not exist last year. A third source claims its an '05 test model.

In meetings being held yesterday with some dealers Trek eluded to changes to the Madone and that Lance is testing the bike. The meetings were already scheduled and not specifically related to just this bike but it was a topic.

One highly speculative theory I've been told is that Trek may merge the 5900 and Madone into one unit--possible I guess and could explain why the bike has lost some aero tubes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
teoteoteo said:
More info creeping in the more I investigate. It indeed is a new bike and did not exist last year. A third source claims its an '05 test model.

In meetings being held yesterday with some dealers Trek eluded to changes to the Madone and that Lance is testing the bike. The meetings were already scheduled and not specifically related to just this bike but it was a topic.

One highly speculative theory I've been told is that Trek may merge the 5900 and Madone into one unit--possible I guess and could explain why the bike has lost some aero tubes.
Thanks Teo. Keep the juice flowing when you get it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top