Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen the pics on LA.com of Lance on his new TT machine? The thing that struck me immediately is that he clearly did his homework over the winter. His position is now much closer to what Jan Ullrich's was, with aero bars pointed slightly toward the ground and arms hanging farther down. I think he and Johan Bruyneel looked at some tape and figured it was not just coincidence that Jan, who had never beaten Lance in a Tour TT before this year, was taking time out of him on both TT's with his new position last year.
I would also like to add that that new ride is sick as all hell. I would give both my testicles to own that bike.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see what kind of ride he can do in Algarve tomorrow. I hope you cycling nuts out there have something to say about this.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I had a talk tonight with one of LA's inner circle about the changes and they can be attributed more to Steve Hed than anyone else. So far he's been able to get more speed out of this position in all of the testing done. I was also told a ton of time and work went into the changes--not much surprise but interesting. The UW wind tunnel apparently has more to offer for them than the previous work at Texas A&M as well.

Tomorrow should be interesting....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I dunno Teo...

teoteoteo said:
I had a talk tonight with one of LA's inner circle about the changes and they can be attributed more to Steve Hed than anyone else. So far he's been able to get more speed out of this position in all of the testing done. I was also told a ton of time and work went into the changes--not much surprise but interesting. The UW wind tunnel apparently has more to offer for them than the previous work at Texas A&M as well.

Tomorrow should be interesting....
When I saw those pictures at trekbikes.com, the first thing that came to my mind was Ulrich. It much more similar to Ulrich's position. If Hed came up with that position for Lance just this year, he's a little behind the curve on this one.

I'm with latindork on this one.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Asiago said:
When I saw those pictures at trekbikes.com, the first thing that came to my mind was Ulrich. It much more similar to Ulrich's position. If Hed came up with that position for Lance just this year, he's a little behind the curve on this one.

I'm with latindork on this one.
Do you expect anyone in Lance's camp to tell me they stole the position from Jan? (laughs)

Anyway, it was an interesting conversation but we didn't get into the Jan comparison. They are very confidant the changes will bring improvement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Superman position? I think not

Neither Lance's nor Jan's TT position is at all the same as a superman position. Both have their upper arms hanging almost perpendicular to the ground, which means that the surface area of the upper arm is available for the wind to push against and create drag. The difference is the position of the forearms, which are angled slightly toward the ground. I agree with the post above that no one in Lance's camp would ascribe the changes to Ullrich's influence, but I can't imagine that Ullrich's TT strength didn't have an influence on Lance, Steve Hed, Johan Bruyneel, or anyone else who has a vested interest in making sure that Lance doesn't get beaten in the TT's this year. Maybe Steve Hed, looking at the tapes, saw Ullrich's forearm position and decided it would be worth a try in the wind tunnel, and he found that it actually is aerodynamically advantageous.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's not the Superman position cause the handlebars wouldn't be UCI legal. In my opinion this is an extrapolation of a similar concept but with-in the confines of the current regulations.

·
Registered
57 Posts
whoa

Imagine if he didn't have such a back problem. What's up with all the spacers. Is that because of armstrong's back problem or because of a too short head tube? Trek is good at making short head tubes. Guess it is more aero and not a problem with the aluminum steere bontrager forks. Wondering how this applies into my TT bike fit. Thinking of modifying a pair of Profile Carbon X's with a carbon MTB bar cut in half. Rotate it down slightly, and you have a Jan/Walser aerobar. Design and idea from slowtwitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.