Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like floyd and Lance have the same massuer- could this be a predeiction of who will win the tour....


"Chatting to Phonak masseur Freddy Viane at the start of stage five in Avignon this morning, Cyclingnews' Hedwig Kröner found out that the former masseur of Lance Armstrong is now Floyd Landis' exclusive physiotherapist. Viane revealed that he, like Jan Ullrich's personal masseur Birgit Krohme, could tell the level of form of his his protégé by the feel of his leg muscles.

"It does make a difference," said Viane, who has been doing the job for more than ten years. "With the experience, you can also tell the general class of a rider, and I can tell you that Landis has plenty of it! Plus, he has that special killer instinct true champions have." Coming from the one who accompanied Armstrong in six of his seven Tour de France victories, it was hard to argue."

"Ah, how nice of him to say that," laughed Landis when we spread the word to him. "But I don't know if that system [of comparing muscle structure] works! We'll see, I can't promise."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
Landis.

This will certainly help Landis, and help him to maximize effective muscular recovery and comfort, preserving his stamina and strength. Some think that Landis has "peaked too early" and will "explode" in July. I disagree, since besides having a superb supporting team/coach, he has a superb masseur!(and X6 years TDF experience with Lance!)
rollinrob said:
Looks like floyd and Lance have the same massuer- could this be a predeiction of who will win the tour....


"Chatting to Phonak masseur Freddy Viane at the start of stage five in Avignon this morning, Cyclingnews' Hedwig Kröner found out that the former masseur of Lance Armstrong is now Floyd Landis' exclusive physiotherapist. Viane revealed that he, like Jan Ullrich's personal masseur Birgit Krohme, could tell the level of form of his his protégé by the feel of his leg muscles.

"It does make a difference," said Viane, who has been doing the job for more than ten years. "With the experience, you can also tell the general class of a rider, and I can tell you that Landis has plenty of it! Plus, he has that special killer instinct true champions have." Coming from the one who accompanied Armstrong in six of his seven Tour de France victories, it was hard to argue."

"Ah, how nice of him to say that," laughed Landis when we spread the word to him. "But I don't know if that system [of comparing muscle structure] works! We'll see, I can't promise."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully he will be able to peak again in July.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
That's what...

ru1-2cycle said:
Some think that Landis has "peaked too early" and will "explode" in July. I disagree, since besides having a superb supporting team/coach, he has a superb masseur!(and X6 years TDF experience with Lance!)
That's what folks said about Mayo a couple of years ago. And then he exploded in July, fell off his bike when the race hit the cobbles, and really hasn't been heard from since for the most part.

Landis has experience of riding support in le Tour, and riding as co-leader for one year.

Having a good masseur is nice and all, but it ain't gonna win you the Tour. What wins you the Tour is training.

Landis is walking the edge of the knife a little too early in 2006, although he has time to come down, and then build back up. If you see him at the front of another race before say, the Dauphine, he'll flail in July most likely, but I think he's smarter than that. He's still not going to win in France this year, but methinks he'll give it the old Mennonite try.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
Mayo peaked a month too early - DL .

Floyd's 'peak' is 4 months before the Tour - PN.

I wouldn't put them in the same category.


magnolialover said:
That's what folks said about Mayo a couple of years ago. And then he exploded in July, fell off his bike when the race hit the cobbles, and really hasn't been heard from since for the most part
 

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Here's my connection:

I saw a tour of Floyd Landis' house in 04 and it was filled with Lance Armstrong posters. He adored the man.

In 05 Lance treated Floyd like dirt. Lance did everything in his power to humiliate Floyd and minimize his success.
- he mocked Floyd after passing him at the finish in Tour de Georgia.
- he made sure he and his Team chased down any Floyd moves in the Euro tours.

He did this since Floyd left Discovery and was not loyal. For these actions, I'm really disappointed at Lance. That is what I remember him for, just an ill-tempered punk. I think that will change and I'll grow to respect the legend again.

francois
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
Lance bullying?

Cycling sports racing strategies, with its myriad psychological "games", can be perceived as vicious and without compassion. I also remember Lance as a nurturing team leader. Remember when that young rookie faulted in the TTT a couple of years ago (the 6th?), and Lance reached out and hugged him in a tender brotherly manner? I believe that it takes too much energy to conceive, plan and implement a wicked plan like you perceived, and that Lance has enough common sense and experience to steer away from such detrimental tactics.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
ru1-2cycle said:
I also remember Lance as a nurturing team leader.
Get real. Armstrong was always a jerk and his success didn't bring humility or mellowness, it just made him an even bigger ass. He got mad at Landis because Landis told the truth about Armstrong's relationship with the other team members; and it wasn't the tender, loving, nurturing team leader that you seem to imagine. For the crime of revealing that there was no sense of comradarie betweem Armstrong and the rest of the team, he got put on Armstrong's enemies list. Nice way to treat a guy who spent three years helping you win the Tour.

Wasn't it Landis who once said that Armstrong was the most unhappy person he ever met?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
I disagree

magnolialover said:
Landis is walking the edge of the knife a little too early in 2006, although he has time to come down, and then build back up. If you see him at the front of another race before say, the Dauphine, he'll flail in July most likely, but I think he's smarter than that. He's still not going to win in France this year, but methinks he'll give it the old Mennonite try.
What have we seen Floyd do that suggests he is peaking?Before someone tries to be smart and point out the obvious that he has won two races lets think about that.

He won the TOC by basically winning an ITT then keeping near the front in the mountains.

He won PN by throwing down one day in the mountains.I mean,he is riding great and looks good.However,He didn't win a single stage at PN and it isn't like he went out there and mage HUGE efforts every day of the TOC and PN.

Do I think he is going win the TDF?I never speculate that kind of stuff.However,I wouldn't be suprised if he did really well and I will go as far as to say he won't be another Mayo falling to pieces when the sh*t hits the fan.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
francois said:
Here's my connection:

I saw a tour of Floyd Landis' house in 04 and it was filled with Lance Armstrong posters. He adored the man.

In 05 Lance treated Floyd like dirt. Lance did everything in his power to humiliate Floyd and minimize his success.
- he mocked Floyd after passing him at the finish in Tour de Georgia.
- he made sure he and his Team chased down in Floyd moves in the Euro tours.

He did this since Floyd left Discovery and was not loyal. For these actions, I'm really disappointed at Lance. That is what I remember him for, just an ill-tempered punk. I think that will change and I'll grow to respect the legend again.

francois
Don't forget just how much Floyd mouthed off/talked trash BEFORE most of that happened. I'm not saying what Lance did to Floyd was justified but Floyd did plenty of talking in the press to warrant the patron flexing some muscle. Also...pick a sport and find the elite...for example, Jordan...you ever see anyone that talked trash to Jordan that wasn't put in place with extreme prejudice ON the court. It's not very different. Point being if you're gonna talk it up you'd better be prepared to back it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
chuckice said:
Don't forget just how much Floyd mouthed off/talked trash BEFORE most of that happened. I'm not saying what Lance did to Floyd was justified but Floyd did plenty of talking in the press to warrant the patron flexing some muscle. Also...pick a sport and find the elite...for example, Jordan...you ever see anyone that talked trash to Jordan that wasn't put in place with extreme prejudice ON the court. It's not very different. Point being if you're gonna talk it up you'd better be prepared to back it up.
Well said chuckice. I guess it comes down to whether you like the man (Armstrong) or not.
I don't.
You do.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
chuckice said:
Don't forget just how much Floyd mouthed off/talked trash BEFORE most of that happened.
I call B.S. Quotes and links, please.

I want to see them because I never came across anything that could be considered trash talk by Floyd. Ditto for the "mouthing off". In all the interviews by Floyd that I've read, he has been honest about his situation and very hesitant to predict how he will do, especially the interviews he gave last year where he always said that he did not know how he would perform as team leader because he had never been in that situation before.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
I call B.S. Quotes and links, please.

I want to see them because I never came across anything that could be considered trash talk by Floyd. Ditto for the "mouthing off". In all the interviews by Floyd that I've read, he has been honest about his situation and very hesitant to predict how he will do, especially the interviews he gave last year where he always said that he did not know how he would perform as team leader because he had never been in that situation before.
Do your own homework. :rolleyes: Go back and read just about every interview with Floyd the past year...I totally agree, he's pretty humble but he's also very honest and straight forward about what he thinks when it comes to Lance/Discovery. This has been going on between the two of them since the day he signed with Phonak to race for Tyler. It's a common scene...Floyd talks openly and Lance tries to diplomatically talk around the subject until they hit the peloton together and then he lets the bike talk trash for him. It's very petty but petty on BOTH of their parts. This is how athletes settle this crap tho because you never read about the ones that settle it like men in private...that's not a story. I don't particularly like either of them...I have more respect for Lance for his LAF efforts than anything else.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
Just as I thought.

You have nothing. I have read Landis' interviews and I did not see the trash talk and "mouthing off" that you are alleging. Again, let's see it if you've got it. I won't be holding my breath.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
ru1-2cycle said:
This will certainly help Landis, and help him to maximize effective muscular recovery and comfort, preserving his stamina and strength. Some think that Landis has "peaked too early" and will "explode" in July. I disagree, since besides having a superb supporting team/coach, he has a superb masseur!(and X6 years TDF experience with Lance!)
The team is looking for a new main sponsor for next year to replace Phonak, so they need results right now. Landis performed in a big way, winning three big races early, which helps tremendously with sponsor. Now he can turn the task over to the classics guys and get back to training for a peak in July. This is a business, after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
What do you expect?

Most people who have very high drive and success in their fields tend to have strong feelings and ideas about topics close to them. Lance and his team members. Trump and his money. Bonds and his privacy. etc. It's part of what makes them so good. We expect them to be honest and unrelenting in their racing, work and training, but not in what they think or say. That is unrealistic and unfair. Champions say "mean" things all the time. Big deal. To them, it's just another interview.


towerscum
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
You have nothing. I have read Landis' interviews and I did not see the trash talk and "mouthing off" that you are alleging. Again, let's see it if you've got it. I won't be holding my breath.
I was in France when they had a 2 page spread interview in the papers with Floyd after he flamed Lance after months of silly he-said/she-said press and in Cycle Sport and Pro Cycling. Am I supposed to go to my local trash heap for those rags for you? :rolleyes: Do your own homework and open your eyes...neither is innocent.
 

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
towerscum said:
Most people who have very high drive and success in their fields tend to have strong feelings and ideas about topics close to them. Lance and his team members. Trump and his money. Bonds and his privacy. etc. It's part of what makes them so good. We expect them to be honest and unrelenting in their racing, work and training, but not in what they think or say. That is unrealistic and unfair. Champions say "mean" things all the time. Big deal. To them, it's just another interview.


towerscum
I expect more. And I won't even go in to their drug use.

Barry Bonds... c'mon. He represents what is wrong with Pro sports.

Lance. We're not talking about his interviews. His behavior during some races was inane.

Donald Trump. He keeps trading up for hottie wives. Wait... he's ok!!

francois
 

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
chuckice said:
Do your own homework and open your eyes...neither is innocent.
>Don't forget just how much Floyd mouthed off/talked trash BEFORE most of that happened.

This is what you said. You should back it up and stop saying 'Do Your Homework'. He has done his homework and believes you have nothing.

Me too. When Lance mocked Landis on the hilltop finish of Tour de Georgia. 'na, na, na, na, you lost the race' while pointing to the clock, there were zero negative words from Landis before that. Zero!

francois
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top