Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody think that Armstrong will be/continue to be protected by the cycling ranks when all is said and done?

I ask this because I see Armstrong as being the type of personality and having the ability to capitalize on this should it be determined by the powers that be...he and USPS, Discovery, etc. had systematic doping programs.

Armstrong, I have little doubt, has documented "Dirt" on everybody in and associated with the peloton...that's his personality type. If he gets thrown in the dirt I fully expect to see every person from the UCI, WADA, team leaders, team owners, companies, etc. get completely thrown under the bus by Armstrong....He will make money out of it and in the end come out smelling like a rose, while everybody else sits in the mud.

As for federal prosecution...if they find Armstrong guilty, they have to pursue charges on every member of the team as well, and any domestic pro's on their team that raced if shown they doped. If Armstrong has the dirt, as I suspect he does then they also have to go after every other American rider in the domestic pro ranks...and that could bleed over into riders from other countries that raced in the US as well as raced on teams that had US sponsors. That could end up being a "Whole" lot of riders, team leaders, etc.

In the end...if they really go after Armstrong, it could completely destroy the sport and everybody involved in it, which I'm sure there are a few people out there would love to see...as long as Armstrong goes down.

However, the end result would be a sport that gets as much TV time as a nose picking contest and about the same amount of sponsorship dollars.

Sounds like a good plan to me :confused:

·
Banned
460 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
Does anybody think that Armstrong will be/continue to be protected by the cycling ranks when all is said and done?

I ask this because I see Armstrong as being the type of personality and having the ability to capitalize on this should it be determined by the powers that be...he and USPS, Discovery, etc. had systematic doping programs.

Armstrong, I have little doubt, has documented "Dirt" on everybody in and associated with the peloton...that's his personality type. If he gets thrown in the dirt I fully expect to see every person from the UCI, WADA, team leaders, team owners, companies, etc. get completely thrown under the bus by Armstrong....He will make money out of it and in the end come out smelling like a rose, while everybody else sits in the mud.

As for federal prosecution...if they find Armstrong guilty, they have to pursue charges on every member of the team as well, and any domestic pro's on their team that raced if shown they doped. If Armstrong has the dirt, as I suspect he does then they also have to go after every other American rider in the domestic pro ranks...and that could bleed over into riders from other countries that raced in the US as well as raced on teams that had US sponsors. That could end up being a "Whole" lot of riders, team leaders, etc.

In the end...if they really go after Armstrong, it could completely destroy the sport and everybody involved in it, which I'm sure there are a few people out there would love to see...as long as Armstrong goes down.

However, the end result would be a sport that gets as much TV time as a nose picking contest and about the same amount of sponsorship dollars.

Sounds like a good plan to me :confused:

That's why this is much ado about nothing. Ultimately, the cycling world, whether good or bad, to the U.S., IS Lance. If Lance goes down, flush the sport.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Had a similar conversation on my Saturday group ride. Lance brought thousands to the sport, thousands who spend tens of thousands of dollars on the latest and lightest technology has to offer. Money, or more accurately, consumer spending, will help shelter the accused Americans, if they are guilty, more than anything else, I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.