Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
4,838 Posts
55x11 said:
one mechanical just before prologue. Luckily didn't cost him much. Another two mechanicals today. What is going on? His result is impressive, but preparation?

UCI screwed him over.. made him change his handle bar position last minute.. and then the handlebars cracked.. (oln reported)

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
bas said:
UCI screwed him over.. made him change his handle bar position last minute.. and then the handlebars cracked.. (oln reported)
I heart UCi:incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:

· Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
bas said:
If true that is definitley par for the course. Gets inspected all year and okay'd with that position then screw him over at the most important time in his career.

· I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
bas said:
They were probably watching Floyd's coach on OLN this morning talking about how Floyd can "barely see where he is going" when he uses those bars. Doesn't exactly sound safe!
Of course, in true UCI fashion they wait til the last minute when it is most detrimental to the rider to make the call! :mad2:

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, not to take UCI side, but what do you expect if you are essentially pushing the boundaries of what is "legal"? It was discussed previously here, and in many photos Landis' position is clearly in violation of UCI rules. I wouldn't be surprised if in constant tinkering in search of a better position Landis and Ventura tried to cross that line - maybe inadvertently.

This was always a risk with attempting that position, and Landis knew it all along.

Frankly, I am a little surprised he wasn't called on it earlier, as he can barely steer riding like that. I am sure others will disagree...

· Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
It seems rather ridiculous for the UCI to jerk any rider around like that. It's not like they hadn't approved his setup/position up to this point. It's a good thing he didn't crash out when his new setup failed. I wonder if his backup bike was in compliance? Anyway, if he could stay composed and still turn that kind of performance it would seem he's the man this year barring a catastrophe. ...like the UCI pulling another move like that. It's early still so I wouldn't bet on Landis yet though. ...on the other hand I would bet against Gonchar's GC chances for sure because he doesn't have chance in the mountains unless he's on the top shelf dope.

G

·
That's the point - why didn't they do something about it earlier? Instead of telling Phonak shortly b/4 Landis had to ride - talk about messing with a riders head. Landis is one cool dude to pull off the ride he did with all the problems he had.

· Registered
93 Posts
55x11 said:
Well, not to take UCI side, but what do you expect if you are essentially pushing the boundaries of what is "legal"?
I would expect them to mention it 6 months ago. Or yesterday. Or pretty much anything except minutes before you are about to start, forcing you to make an untested modification to the setup.

If anything its the UCI that should be taken to task for creating a dangerous situation, by suddenly forcing an untested setup.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AJL said:
That's the point - why didn't they do something about it earlier? Instead of telling Phonak shortly b/4 Landis had to ride - talk about messing with a riders head. Landis is one cool dude to pull off the ride he did with all the problems he had.
I completely agree. These things should be approved well ahead of time. As long as Landis & Co didn't try to change something recently, they should file a complaint. I am sure we will hear about it.

But they knew they were exposing themselves to this kind of calls from officials. They are in a very grey territory as far as I am concerned.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rocco said:
on the other hand I would bet against Gonchar's GC chances for sure because he doesn't have chance in the mountains unless he's on the top shelf dope.
look up "Giro 2004". While he can't climb with the likes of Simoni or Cunego, he can minimize his losses.

· Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
stcanard said:
I would expect them to mention it 6 months ago. Or yesterday. Or pretty much anything except minutes before you are about to start, forcing you to make an untested modification to the setup.

If anything its the UCI that should be taken to task for creating a dangerous situation, by suddenly forcing an untested setup.

It seems the inspection procedure needs to be re-evaluated. I wonder if the officials do their technical inspections minutes before the start of F1 races? I would think the morning of the race and hours before the start is the latest they should do such inspections.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OnTheRivet said:
And you know this how?
ever tried driving your car with your elbows? Do the dishes? Vacuum your carpet? I haven't either, that's because I know it would not end well.

Landis can't have much of control over his bike steering with his elbows - most people including himself and his coach attest to that. Superman position may provide more control than that.

UCI calls may be arbitrary, but they didn't pick on anyone else for a reason - Landis exposed himself to UCI's calls by going borderline legal.

· Registered
93 Posts
rocco said:
It seems the inspection procedure needs to be revaluated. I wonder if the officials do their technical inspections minutes before the start of F1 races? I would think the morning of the race and hours before the start is the latest they should do such inspections.
I agree. It would also be interesting to see the criteria -- they keep going on about how this position was developed in the wind tunnel. Given how much difference even millimeteres of position make, I would be very surprised if Floyd & crew have changed the position since the prologue.

So how does it pass on the prologue and fail on this time trial? Is it a relatively arbitrary decsion based on who's looking at it today, and 2 weeks from now the bike will pass again, or maybe even the modified backup will fail?

[Edit] Before someone points out the obvious, I know there is a codified set of 'rules' from the UCI -- but this situation points out that those 'rules' aren't interpreted the same all the time, or else Floyd's bike would have been changed quite some time ago...

· Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
55x11 said:
look up "Giro 2004". While he can't climb with the likes of Simoni or Cunego, he can minimize his losses.

Perhaps, but lets see here... He just turned 36, that was 2 years ago, he lost tons of time in the mountians in this year's Giro... and that's Giro, not the Tour. We'll see.

· I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts

If we look at Floyd's and Levi's position side by side it appears as if their elbows are in pretty similair positions in relation to the bar. I wonder if it's the position of Floyd's hands that the UCI objected to, given that they're blocking his line of sight. His hands are also that much farther away from the brakes, another safety issue.

What do you guys think?

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
yeah, landis was robbed. They stole time off him by forcing him to change last minute.

The higher bar position was the result of their wind tunnel testing this year. Aside from the mechanical, it affects Landis' confidence, output, etc since he's been training in that position all year.

fc

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.