Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I think their paint is spectacular and their reputation is solid. I prefer lugs on steel bikes, but that's just an aesthetic personal preference. Good company, good product, and always offering a look that you don't see every day!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it can't wait

Thanks for the origin of the name (SNL). Since I like being a little eclectic, and don't really want a Trek like EVERYONE in my hometown rides, I'm gonna try out LANDSHARK. The custom paint job is the most attractive feature. It seems that every time I ride lately, I get STUNG by bees :cryin: So, I'm thinking about a queen bee theme?

·
Registered
187 Posts
SLOrider said:
You will not be dissapointed with Landshark. John can make you a bike that will perform with anything out there. Oh yea the paint. Why not get a paint job that is way different that anyone else.

Another very happy Land Shark owner here...John has build me several bikes over the past 10 years, mostly road and CX. I have three right now, one CX, one road and a track frame. I've also had A LOT of other custom steel, carbon, aluminum and Ti frames, but I always come back to the Land Sharks. His overall service, build quality and general framebuilder wisdom is excellent. I think he's been at it for 20+ years now.

Regarding lugs, John can do that too, though I think fillet brazing is just as elegant and even more rare these days since it's not as trendy as lugs.

Regarding steel, Land Shark also does a very cool carbon frame now, using his own proprietary internal lug process. It's up on the website.

Oh yeah...and regarding names, I'd agree it's a bit SNL random, but another very highly regarded framebuilder (Rock Lobster) came up with his moniker from a B-52's song. For those guys, it's either your last name, or you make something up.

·
Banned
476 Posts
since

jtolleson said:
Well, I hope your motivation is more than "it isn't a Trek." Have you decided that you want a steel bike?
Since you see so many Trek and Specialized
and since there are so many other good bikes out there
and since Trek and Specialized bikes are overprised unless you get a big discount

A good Motivation maybe it's not a Trek or Specialized

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
Comming full circle

FatTireFred said:
lugs are TRENDY???
Well,................................................................................................
......................................................................................................
...........................yea maybe. You might say that they're 'retro'.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bikebum said:
Looking at LandShark for my next bike. I like the idea of a custom bike and paint job. Currently ride a Serotta Legend Ti. Any opinions?
personally I think Landshark has some of the gaudiest paintjobs around, but YMMV. I think the quality is there though. What's wrong with your Legend TI?

Personally for custom steel I'd go Pegoretti or if I wanted eye candy a Columbine.

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
John Belushi

bikebum said:
Thanks for the origin of the name (SNL). Since I like being a little eclectic, and don't really want a Trek like EVERYONE in my hometown rides, I'm gonna try out LANDSHARK. The custom paint job is the most attractive feature. It seems that every time I ride lately, I get STUNG by bees :cryin: So, I'm thinking about a queen bee theme?
King Bee?

P.S. Are you familiar with gvhbikes.com? They are a good source for some 'new old stock' Landshark frames. They have some good pictures of different paint schemes. http://www.gvhbikes.com

·
Know It All
152 Posts
the seamus said:
I guess they can be, but then the paintjob is almost always the customer's choice, so you can't really blame John for that one. Ask him for a plain black frame and that's what you'll get.
It's true. I asked for green with white panels, I got just that. I think it looks much better than much of the crazy stuff people get.

·
Registered
777 Posts
1. With respect to paintjobs, John Slawta is an artist in paint, equal in my mind to Joe Bell and Brian Baylis. Higher praise cannot be had in this area. But his reputation is a bit more "radical" than Joe or Brian, so those are the customers he tends to get.

2. Did you know that John built every steel frame Andy Hampsten ever rode in Europe? At least as ar as I've ever been able to figure out, any steel bike under Andy's ass was a Landshark, regardless of whose name was on the downtube.

3. Fillet brazing is cool. While my aesthetic preference is for lugs, and ornate ones, the perfect flowing lines of a great fillet-brazed joint is a thing of elemental beauty, and one which few builders are capable of doing. John Slawta is capable of producing such joints.

4. In over 20 years of cycling, I've never met an unhappy Landshark owner. Not one.

--Shannon

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I bought a used Landshark frame/fork about 3 years ago. I don't know the age, but its a Columbus Max tubeset with a threaded steel fork, so I'm guessing mid to late '90s. Its one of my favorite bikes and the paint is still in super shape. Mine is a red / yellow fade and the paint is some of the smoothest I have seen. I have the frame stripped down right now to send back for a repaint.... I just need to decide how I want it done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another Landshark fan

Looks like the landshark fans are coming out of the woodwork!!

John is awesome to work with and his bikes are just magnificent. I've sold all my other bikes and now only own two: My Landshark road bike that I've had for about six years , and a Landshark mountain bike I got just last year. Both are the best bikes (of their specific genre) that I've ever ridden.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.