Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to buy a fixed gear bike. langster looks good but concerned about the aluminum frame. IRO Mark V looks good as does the fuji track, bianchi pista..
what do folks recommend? i currently ride a steel framed lemond road bike.
thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bianchi Pista

But that's mainly because I have one.
Pro:
- How can you not like a chrome bike?
- Durability has been good. Only problem was breaking spokes (I'm "gravitationally gifted"); re-spoked the rear wheel with DT spokes - end of problem. Every else has been fine

Con:
- No water bottle bosses -- I'm using the Zefel "whats itz"

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a Langster and love the bike (although I hate the black hubs). It's a blast. But if you are looking for fixed, there is no reason to pay the extra bucks for the rear brake, etc. on the Langster. At my local shop, the Pista is $400 and the Langster $600. I can't recall if that Pista is set with a front brake, but even adding that in it is going to be cheaper. I think that bike is a hell of a deal.

I'm going to keep my Langster as a SS, and get a Pista to use fixed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just sold my Langster...

I really liked it and it was an extremely quick and well handling bike. However, it is a jarring ride to say the least. I was always ready to get off of it. I just bought a Soma Rush to replace it. What a difference quality steel makes! It's like night and day as far as ride comfort goes. I did give up some weight advantages with the Soma, but I couldn't care less.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
I had an '04 Fuji Track. No complaints other than breaking rear spokes (like the Pista poster) but I also had the rear wheel rebuilt and it never happened again. Oh, on one ride my lockring came loose (turned out it somehow got stripped) so all I needed is a new lockring. I was glad I had the freewheel on the other side (didn't come w/it though) to utilize for the remainder of the ride. Nothing special about the bike, though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
fishercat said:
i'm looking to buy a fixed gear bike. langster looks good but concerned about the aluminum frame. IRO Mark V looks good as does the fuji track, bianchi pista..
what do folks recommend? i currently ride a steel framed lemond road bike.
thanks
If you like the fit of your Lemond, I'd second the recommendation for the Fillmore. I'll admit I'm biased, since I own one, but I did test ride many other bikes before deciding. The Langster's parts felt...basic, and I wasn't fond of the ride; it nearly rattled the fillings out of my teeth. The Pista was allright, but the geometry wasn't right for me. The bottom line is that I like the fit, spec., etc of the Fillmore over other singlespeeds out there. From what I've seen, though I haven't ridden one, the IRO looks nice for the money, and there's the added benefit of building up a frame from scratch (if you have lots of spare parts).

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
I'm riding a Mark V. I built it up from a frame/fork and standard wheelset purchased from IRO. My longest ride to date is over 80 miles and the bike is very comfortable... I keep trying to find negatives about this bike and about the only thing I don't like is the only water bottle cage mount is on the seat tube and not the down tube.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Pista: quick but steep, not super comfy for the long haul, even though it's steel.

Langster: I just can't get excited about aluminum frames or straight-blade forks, myself.

IRO: Again, straight forks, but I personally like the seat-tube mounted bottle bosses.

Everything's a compromise, I suppose. Have you checked out the Raleigh Rush Hour?
Someone else here just bought a Jamis that looks nice, and I think it was Tamu who recently ordered a Giant Bowery; not sure if he got it or not. Plenty of choices in the sub-$1000 range these days.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yea.. ive been waiting.. bike shop had a few delays.. it should of been in wed but giant has been draging their feet.. rather annoying.. and then they dont delever on the weekends..

hopefully if you want to order one tho, giant will have them in stock..

also, i got pretty good info the bike shop paid about 350 for it after shipping

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.