Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
One Colorful Rider
Joined
·
103 Posts
My rendition of the New York Langster

Handbuilt wheels By Normbilt
Paul Large Flanged Hubs/Sun Venus Rims/DT DB Spokes/Dt Gold Nipples
Ritchey WCS Handlebar and Stem
Easton EC70 Seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle Vanox Yellow
CONTINENTAL GRAND PRIX ATTACK FORCE YELLOW TIRES

16lbs
 

·
Road bike member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Hows the ride on these bikes? I thinking of useing it for riding to work in back about 50 miles round trip. I was thinking of going steel for a soft ride. But these bikes do look very nice.
 

·
One Colorful Rider
Joined
·
103 Posts
mark59 said:
Hows the ride on these bikes? I thinking of useing it for riding to work in back about 50 miles round trip. I was thinking of going steel for a soft ride. But these bikes do look very nice.

My Previuos comuter was a Surly Steamroller. Steel Frame with Steel fork.
I found the Langster to be a little more forgiving with the carbon fork and seatpost


This is my daily comuter. My Comute is 30 miles round trip.
 

·
Road bike member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Thats a nice bike Normbilt. I am suprised to hear that this Langster is a softer ride then your Surly Steam Roller. . I wanted shy away from Aluminum . I thought for sure the steel is more forgiving and softer. Hmmm you got me thinking now.
 

·
Looking for Vintage Treks
Joined
·
53 Posts
Normbilt said:
My Previuos comuter was a Surly Steamroller. Steel Frame with Steel fork.
I found the Langster to be a little more forgiving with the carbon fork and seatpost


This is my daily comuter. My Comute is 30 miles round trip.
Brother Norm!
Great Langster, how are things up north? I miss riding with you and the other Gnomes....
-Robb
 

·
One Colorful Rider
Joined
·
103 Posts
MunkeeHucker said:
Brother Norm!
Great Langster, how are things up north? I miss riding with you and the other Gnomes....
-Robb
Hey Robb,
I have been thinking about the old days and your Name Came up. Dennis (DD) and I were just talking about you last Sunday.
Wondering where you ended up. Things are good up here. Weather has been incredible in October. Deer Grove is a little more
beatin down by the August monsoon we had but has dried up with more log overs....Perfect for 29ers.



Just Ride
Norm
 

·
One Colorful Rider
Joined
·
103 Posts
mark59 said:
Thats a nice bike Normbilt. I am suprised to hear that this Langster is a softer ride then your Surly Steam Roller. . I wanted shy away from Aluminum . I thought for sure the steel is more forgiving and softer. Hmmm you got me thinking now.
Surly Bikes are well built for sure.
The Specialized Carbon fork VS the Surly Steel Fork is the BIG difference
 

·
One Colorful Rider
Joined
·
103 Posts
gumby said:
According to my LBS the Seattle is currently the most popular, Specialized thought it would be the least. Took over two months for mine to come in
I talked to Specialized today. I put a 52 Seattle on back order in July. It was ordered
early enough to guaranty to get one. Each batch 56cm are the bigger quantity. 52cm should be in in november.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Hey Chainslap. Were you on the Bike Barn Halloween ride on Saturday night. I saw some guy on a New York with some KILLER bike handling skills. I wanted to know more about the bike so I did a search here and came across your thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I didn't do the Bike Barn ide on Saturday but I did do the 35 Annual Moonlight Ramble (@ 2am Sunday Morning). I saw a guy on a 61cm Langster NY w/ Flat bars, I forgot his name but he said that he works for Bike Barn or used to work for them.

Did you do the Moonlight Ramble? There were over 2000 cyclist riding in the inner loop from 2am to 5am. It was fun, but it got damn cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
I bet we saw the same guy then who must have done the two rides. He was tall with very short black hair and was doing these crazy track stands, bunny hops, and skids, while a group of 300 of us were going about 8 mph with full police escort. The ride was from 8 to about 10:30 with the temp dropping about 20 degrees throughout the ride. I've never been crazy enough to do the Moonlight Ramble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
They should have made the New York model with forward-facing dropouts, four-inch wide bars, mismatched wheels (front Aerospoke!), 52/14 gearing, and cut-up innertubes wrapped around the frame. And it should have come with a New York lock and chain.

The taxi theme is just so...bad. So obvious. So touristy. At least from an NYC resident's point of view. It's like something you'd buy in the Empire State Building gift shop. I can't imagine an actual New Yorker ever buying one.

Although I disagree with the vehicular enemies list rankings--MTA buses are by FAR on top of the list, followed by independent delivery vans, airport shuttles, illegal town cars, and THEN taxis. And the passengers are way worse than the drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
HEY NORMBILT!yours looks great,thanks for mine i already put 100 on it in the rain,and i've got to say it feels so much more sure than the allez double.i think it was your excellent set up that made it so nice.thanks,steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike - hope it serves you well for many miles of trouble-free enjoyment. Now personally, I think the whole city-themed line-up is childish gimmick that looks hokey as all get out, and will become seriously dated in about a year and a half. The checkerboards, fare rates, and other Taxi decals are too silly to believe they actually went ahead and did it, but that's just my biased opinion, and I've been accused of being an intolerant curmudgeon from time to time ... to which I readily and happily confess.

And seriously - I hope you enjoy the hell our of your new ride!
 

·
One Colorful Rider
Joined
·
103 Posts
BianchiJoe said:
Congratulations on your new bike - hope it serves you well for many miles of trouble-free enjoyment. Now personally, I think the whole city-themed line-up is childish gimmick that looks hokey as all get out, and will become seriously dated in about a year and a half. The checkerboards, fare rates, and other Taxi decals are too silly to believe they actually went ahead and did it, but that's just my biased opinion, and I've been accused of being an intolerant curmudgeon from time to time ... to which I readily and happily confess.

And seriously - I hope you enjoy the hell our of your new ride!
Hey Joe...Where you going with that gun in your hand. (Jimi Hendrix)

Sheesh lightin up. It's all about having fun. Some frames fit people better.
I myself had a PISTA CONCEPT. I can say I hated it but It Just didn't Feel Right.
I'm not racing i'm comuting about 5000 miles a year. You might have a Chrome Pista which will all way look like a classic which SKy Jager designed it after a Chrome Schwinn.
I bought it cause its Yellow and noticeable so some moron doesn't run me over on the way to work. In the winter snowy months I ride my Bianchi San Jose. Washed out blue.
I've had that for two years and racked 3000 miles in mostly winter comuting.

So Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the maggets (Rolling Stones)

So Get on your bikes and Ride! (Queen)
 
21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top