Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ride/build reports on the LaPierre HM carbon cross frame? I just picked one up.

The frame doesnt come with a fork so that is my next decision:
I'm thinking an Edge fork but IIRC LaPierre recommends a 45mm rake. Maybe a Python then? I want to stay away from Easton and the Reynolds CX forks are harder/more expensive to find. Were the Reynolds cross forks discontinued?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have one... raced it as my A bike last season. It's a rocket!

I ran a Python on it with no complaints. It's designed around a 45mm fork and I would suggest that you stick to that. The head tube angle on these CX bikes is very steep. (my 59 has a 73.5* HTA) So going to something with 47mm rake, like a CX20 or the Edge is going to quicken the steering up even more.... I would suggest against that. :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you pick up the Python?
Would you recommend going to a 43mm rake fork to slow things down up front a little?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I got my Python from my LBS. If your shop deals with SBS, they should be able to get one for you. They are not expensive at all. ~$400 retail last year.

Cyclocross world also sells them.

I would stick with a 45mm. I had no complaints on mine in the steering department. It's a hell of a race bike.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Get a reynolds cx fork, they might be a few grams heavier than the Python but when you start suffering from alot of brake chatter from the Python you will wish you had something a little stouter.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Any fork will chatter if the brakes are setup poorly. We have 4 bikes with Python forks and none of them chattered, after we dialed the brakes in.

I've seen a few people with Reynolds forks who have chatter as well. All of them had their brakes setup wrong when I took a closer look.

·
Registered
44 Posts
HM Cyclocross

Guys - I am looking at this bike. I have heard great things and I am thinking about getting one. I am psyched this thread started. Is the any chance you could please give me some meacurements that I cannot find on the LaPierre Internet Site? I am looking at the 54cm from center to top of collar. If by any chance you have that size, I would love to know the standover height on bottom bracket drop. I know these measurements vary greatly however depending on tires and tire pressure. - I just want a general idea. Thanks!!! I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've attached the geometry chart for this model. Be aware that the smaller sizes have VERY short head tubes. The included headset adds back a bit of stack height, but not as much as a Chris King or the like.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanls for the help!

However - I still do not believe I see the standover height and BB height on that chart. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Why do you care about standover? It's pretty pointless, the only time you're standing over it is on the line before the race.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wow. Thanks for this thread.

I was searching for a new fork for my La Pierre. I was looking at the Alpha Q

I love my La Pierre, great race bike, but the Ritchey Pro I have on it is a serious downer.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I would not get the Alpha Q. It has a 47mm offset. This bike isn't lacking in quickness.... stick with a 45mm offset for for best result. (unless you are on the 54 or smaller.)

·
Registered
493 Posts
That Ritchey fork shouldn't be sold as a cx fork. Talk about a noodle.

I am 160lbs and like the Easton ec90x on my yeti. If a stiff fork is what you're after, the best choice is the Reynolds.

I have a 2006 Lapierre, and it too is a rocket. It comes with some fork called "Pure". It is heavy for a fork, but also very stiff. No chatter issues.

These new frames are cool, but I know that short of a HT won't work for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this frame and ran the Alpha Q CX 20 in a 47mm rake last year. This year I am running the Easton CX90 with a 45mm rake to speed up the steering. I felt the bike turned to slow with a 47mm rake fork.

·
Registered
960 Posts
myktech said:
I have this frame and ran the Alpha Q CX 20 in a 47mm rake last year. This year I am running the Easton CX90 with a 45mm rake to speed up the steering. I felt the bike turned to slow with a 47mm rake fork.
Putting a 45mm rake fork on the bike will NOT make the bike steer faster.... it will actually make the steering response slower as you are increasing trail by lowering the offset.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts