Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do UCI officals generally pull lapped riders as a matter of course? I was fined for not dropping out of a race last year, was there some rule I was supposed to be aware of? I did not hear anyone ask me to drop out, I just got a call from the federation hitting me up for 70 bucks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yes, lapped riders are usually pulled in UCI races (and most others, I should hope...). Looks like you've discovered that there is indeed a rule about that. It's part of the sport- you're lapped, get off the track! Not meaning to offend here, but it's important to remove lapped riders in bigger races. I can see letting people slog on at training series races or local events but if the race is to be taken at all seriously it is very important to pull lapped riders. As you can imagine, it becomes a nightmare for the officials. But more importantly, it can really mess up the race for the leaders as they begin lapping riders. At nationals, year before last this occured and may have affected the outcome of the mens elite race when JP and Ryan Trebon were battling during some of the final laps. That race was really a mess, it was a huge field and lapped riders were not being pulled. Fields for the elite race have gotten so big that I've heard there will be some new rules this year that will keep the field smaller (riders must have at least 1 UCI point, I think, to race).

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should go back and read the UCI rules, my understanding is that when I was lapped, I was simply supposed to leave the course without being pulled and would be scored as such. I was not aware of the rule and assumed I rode until pulled, I noticed when I watch the Euro races on DVD that they tend to leave the lapped riders in the race until the final lap. I don't have a problem with the rule, just with using fairly large fines as a means of communicating the rules when a pre race announcement would do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That's a bummer you got dinged $70, I agree that seems odd. At the races I've done in europe, they were very clear to lapped riders to get off the course. I have no doubt that there's a rule, but unless you flagrantly disregarded an official and continued riding after they indicated that you must leave the course, I'm surprised they'd hit you with the book like that. Just be glad they didn't insist you pay it in Swiss francs!

·
Registered
187 Posts
there was some discussion on the evershrinking canadiancyclist forum that fines were handed out for the aurora race. might not be that much of a biggy for the closeby races but it could have an impact at something like the nationals either with smaller fields or perhaps more aggressively proactive fields. i.e. take out the leader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts