Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my new one ....so i decided to TRY to salvage the old one...it is/was a great laptop

ok...tore it apart yesterday, ordered an new CMOS battery just in case since it is a 5 year old rechargeable... (ML 1220)

semi stuck it back together this morning and leaving the battery out over night reset the CMOS and it tried to boot.....display and all. I mucked around a bit and ended up popping the batter out again and what do ya know...the battery holder popped right off the mother-board...DAMN...BUT..there was the original problem....bad or broken solder joint....well NOT repairable BUT (well I guess i could try to solder it back with 2 little bits of wire) I found a new motherboard (OEM) for 44.99 on line so I ordered it. Worst case scenario....I screwed up and I am out 54 bucks (with shipping)

If i get it back up and running, my son gets a good laptop.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Wait, I think I told you to remove the battery earlier. No one ever listens to me anymore. Either way you ended up with a new lappy so all is good.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought you meant the power battery not the cmos battery which I had done repeatedly. It is a MAJOR job to get to the RTC battery so I didn't want to start on that until I had a replacement laptop. as it is, the problem was the battery holder not the battery. This way I will restore it to original and give it to the boy.....I got it down to the mother-board now so...................

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand this, this ain't my first rodeo...
There are at least 25 or more screws i had to take out to get the laptop apart, and given that it is a 5 year old machine, i was hesitant to break it opened without a new one configured and loaded with programs and the data from the hdd on laptop 1. I use a computer for a lot more than e-mail and the lounge .

Fact is, the bios was corrupted BUT the reason for that was a solder failure on the RTC battery holder, hence the need for a new motherboard. I was going to try to repair it and it would not be the first motherboard I soldered back together. But for 54 bucks, it just isn't worth my time, this time. I will probably fix the old board later just to prove to myself that I can...lol.

I would much rather waste my time on my bike!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, MB came this afternoon, two days....I have it in and the computer is perfect again!

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
wow, MB came this afternoon, two days....I have it in and the computer is perfect again!
Did you order it through Tiger Direct or Newegg, I get most of my computer stuff through them ...Very fast most times

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I left it running when we went out for a few hours last night and when I got back it was frozen solid....I re-booted a few and it was ok...but ultimately froze up every time. This morning it freezes as it goes into windows. I booted with an Ubuntu disk and it seems fine. (no hdd activity with a ubuntu live) Wondering if Windows is just so hosed that it won't work?.....OR what?

edit....no they didn't have a motherboard.....this is 5 years old

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scratching head now...I ran a system restore, back to July 27 before and of this nonsense and it is now here in windows working just fine. I can honestly say, I sure don't trust this thing!!!!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
new update.... format C:\ enter......
as we speak it sits at 65%....and been running longer than at any point in the last day...LOL

I have a full set of XP pro install disks and driver so...

we'll see....................

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
just pause to consider the value of your time and what else you could be doing besides messing with computers... unless you enjoy that.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
considering I would be paying 300 bucks to have someone else do this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts