Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a frequenter of mtbr.com and I found this site through the cyclocross link there. The reason I clicked on that link and the reason I am here is I need some sort of commuting type bike and I think a lower end cyclocross would be up my alley. I am in the process of building a freeride machine and I don't want to ride that around town. The problem is I'm 6'6" so I would think I would need a 62-64 cm bike and I don't see too many of those. I have hardly any money to spend on this thing. I have two options right now as far as I know. 1) Find an old road bike and fix it up, I've checked craigslist and ebay and found a couple on ebay that I'm keeping an eye on, or 2) A friend of mine has an old road bike, that is way too small for either of us, with nice components on it. I might be able to buy a cross frame and put those components on it as well as take some of the components from my old hardtail mtb. The two frames I am looking at right now are the Surly crosscheck and the Soma doublecross. I'm looking for thoughts on this. Basically, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Thanks all, even if you don't respond, for at least taking the time to read. :D

M

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I wouldn't count on using the components from the old road bike. Manufacturers have taken pains to see to it that new / old pieces parts aren't interchangable. Depending on the age of the donor bike, the frame might even have to be modified to accept the old stuff. IMO/IMW waaay too much trouble. I'm a tall guy too. Not as tall as you (6'3") and I know that finding frames can be difficult. You sound like you're doing all the right things, e.g., Ebay, Craig's, etc. I'd suggest also trying your LBS. You just never know. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.