Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Which CF weave d'ya prefer?

• I like fine weave CF better.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Newer larger twill weave CFs look fabulous.

• They look good either way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New CF Trend: Large twill weaves...

I'm pretty sure the larger pattern twill weaves of newer CF bikes are purely cosmetic. It seems to be the new trend in CF tubing/ bikes but the question is are they better looking?

They remind me of gaudy black fish net stockings... personally I am not sure if they look better (of course all my cf bikes have small/ fine weave carbon fibers...:D .) That's why I hated the Colnago CF crank set...

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
if you mean something like the weave on the CF wilier (sp?) bike, then my god is that fugly.

OTT IMPO :)

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
6was9 said:
I'm pretty sure the larger pattern twill weaves of newer CF bikes are purely cosmetic. It seems to be the new trend in CF tubing/ bikes but the question is are they better looking?

They remind me of gaudy black fish net stockings... personally I am not sure if they look better (of course all my cf bikes have small/ fine weave carbon fibers...:D .) That's why I hated the Colnago CF crank set...
You're right - it is purely cosmetic. My '05 Fuji Pro has that fat carbon weave and I get constant raves about it from others.

Thx...Doug

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Does anyone made painted CF bike frames?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
MikeBiker said:
The look CA 585 is a good one.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yes i think only cosmetic

i emailed basso as i have a 2004 diamante that is the 12 k weave (small check pattern) and now it is 4 x 4 weave. basso said it is the same carbon only different pattern and has no significance.
jim

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MikeBiker said:
Colnago used to do faux carbon paint schemes if that's what you mean....

These days many CF bike makers used large pattern twill weave carbon fiber finishing sheet layer to cover up the imperfections such as joints etc (they used to and many still do cover the impections with black paint.) This finishing layer gives the new look of large twill weave carbon fiber look as you see with Colnago Extreme C, C50 and mnay Looks etc...

I didn't think they looked good initially... just different... and I still wonder whether I like it. I am just curious as to how everyone feels about this new look... obviously MFGs thought they'd look good....and are they here to stay or just a fad? Will every CF bike makers eventually join in?

I suppose this is something like whether you'd like to wear large twill pattern suit or fine pattern twill suit... I prefer the fine pattern ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts