Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an RXR or VXRS and wanted to find out the largest tire size that can be run in these two frames.

I recently ran across a review where the poster had damaged the seatstays/chainstays on his TIME by running too large of a tire. (Although I can't quite understand how they didn't know there was a problem long before any real damage was done...it must have been a very slow ride!)

Thanks.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
I can't tell you about modern models, but my 2006 Time Edge Translink (which has the same fork as that year's Ulteam, VXRS, etc.) is able to fit Vittoria Diamante 25's with enough millemeters to spare to keep them from ever scraping the frame or fork. I'm running a pair right now. I wouldn't try anything larger, though, and a salesman at a bike shop in Santa Cruz (which carried an array of larger section tires that this Southern Californian found amazing) noted that the Michelin Pro Race 3 25mm tires are decidedly larger than the Vitts.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
273 Posts
The little aero cut out on the seat tube makes it a tighter fit. For example on my training wheels I could run a Gatorskin 25mm but not a Michelin Krylion 25mm. So I would say you can run some 25mms but not all.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I just put the Continental Attack/Force set on my VXRS. The rear tire is 24mm and based on the minimal gap between the tire and the seat tube I don't think that you could run anything larger.

·
petite française
30 Posts
If you put too big of a tire, it will most likely rub on the wishbone first then on the seat tube.
That's why 23mm is the max recommended. Of coure depending of the brand of tire and wheels, there is some fluctuation

·
Registered
76 Posts
my time VXS has panaracer ribmos front and rear, 28C front, 25c rear. IMO, the absolute best tires made for non race days..... flats are no longer in my vocabulary, plus the ride quality and the grip are great. I go faster over rough surfaces because the bike is smoother and I have more confidence of not slipping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts