Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So our wonderful sheriff has been in the news a bit lately mouthing off about how he's going to start ticketing cyclists riding 2 abreast, and hauling anyone to jail that doesn't have an ID on them. I guess I stupidly assumed that all the news coverage would at least have a short-lived impact on how the area's cyclists behave. No such luck.

Wednesday night I'm driving home, and what do I see but a group ride taking up not only the bike lane, but the entire northbound traffic lane. This is a stretch of road with a nice wide shoulder, and a decent amount of traffic (that was being held up). There's a fun, straight downhill stretch on this road, but the speed limit is 45, and unless you're on the pedals hard, it's pretty difficult to get up to 45 on the hill (I've got lots of practice, I live at the top of the hill and it's part of my commute). The group proceeded to continue to block the entire lane and traffic on the flat stretch after the hill.

My wife looked over at me and said "That's exactly why people hate cyclists." Hard to disagree on any level.

There are 3 rides that I know of around Ft Collins on Wednesday night. WNW - doubt it was them, as they probably would have been taking up both the northbound and southbound lanes. Peak to Pub - I wrote the leader of that ride an email, he politely replied that his group was riding a different route that evening. So that leaves the Lee's/Optic Nerve ride - well done guys, you're a credit to your sponsors.

I'd like to find out the route for their next ride, and give the sheriff a heads up.

Sorry for venting, but there's enough attention being paid to cycling in the area right now that the last thing the cycling community needs is people to ride like complete idiots.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't sounds very defensible.

Luckily, the ride I'm planning on going on tomorrow only currently includes me, myself, and I. We'll try to stay to the right.

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MerlinAma said:
I thought your sheriff was only concerned about BOULDER residents breaking the law in Larimer County. :D
Alderden erected a fence and put up border crossing stations between Boulder and Larimer county, so now he's free to focus on Larimer county residents

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pablo said:
Yeah, that doesn't sounds very defensible.

Luckily, the ride I'm planning on going on tomorrow only currently includes me, myself, and I. We'll try to stay to the right.
Just make sure you have ID for all 3 of you, and your meds.......

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
godot said:
Just make sure you have ID for all 3 of you, and your meds.......
I generally draft behind myself, if that's ok with me. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.