Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently reminded of just how good by seeing this:

The touch passes particularly blew my mind.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I was never really in to hoops before or after him but I saw about 90% of Celtics games when he played. (I'm from Boston).

yeah, really amazing. The thing is he was probably no more gifted athletically then the average guy on the street but the way he saw things before the happened and outsmarted everyone was was simply amazing to watch.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
saw the Birdman play near the end of his career against the SA Spurs.

Larry was old, a little pudgy, and really slow...but, he could put the ball anywhere he wanted. some of his passes were simply brilliant.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I was recently reminded of just how good by seeing this:

The touch passes particularly blew my mind.
Its a good highlights summary. I did have to click past the parts where Kevin McHale was in the play (always hated him) but still good stuff

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Yeah he was awesome...but as a kid I was a 76ers and Lakers fan so I hated him and the rest of the damn Celtics. It was a respectful kind of hate though. 😄

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
larry bird died?

here's the height of flattery (from wiki):

In October 2005, a man in Oklahoma City, Eric James Torpy, was convicted of shooting with intent to kill and robbery. He asked that his sentence be changed from 30 years imprisonment to 33 so that it would match Bird's jersey number. His request was granted.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
larry bird died?

here's the height of flattery (from wiki):

In October 2005, a man in Oklahoma City, Eric James Torpy, was convicted of shooting with intent to kill and robbery. He asked that his sentence be changed from 30 years imprisonment to 33 so that it would match Bird's jersey number. His request was granted.
If the guy were smart he should have been a Moses Malone fan (#2)

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
Went to college in Boston during the Celtics Larry Bird era. We would watch the game on tv and listen to Johnny Most on the radio. I became a Celtics fan and have remained one to this day.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
We would watch the game on tv and listen to Johnny Most on the radio.
that's what i do too when i watch my college team on tv -- listen to the more educated radio broadcast (via the free tuneinradio app).

the two are often several seconds apart. i can easily handle the delay when the radio is behind the video, but the opposite is really annoying.

tv play-by-play is horrible for college sports.

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
that's what i do too when i watch my college team on tv -- listen to the more educated radio broadcast (via the free tuneinradio app).

Just a tad biased but a whole another level of entertainment.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
^ awesome.

man, the game is so different today.

to think bird scored 60 in a game back then. that's like 80 now.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I think it's a misconception of many that he wasn't particularly athletic... great body control, and if you watch that highlight reel that's a lot of dunking.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I think it's a misconception of many that he wasn't particularly athletic... great body control, and if you watch that highlight reel that's a lot of dunking.
I was a big hoops fan in that era and I really can't remember ever seeing Bird dunk in a game. This reel must have captured every dunk he ever made. I agree Bird was a great player but he did it without athleticism

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I don't consider a 6' 9" person dunking a basketball to be much of an athletic accomplishment. Especially by NBA standards he really wasn't that athletic at all. Athletic in the speed and power sense. He definitely was in the hand/eye and dexterity sense.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Considering we classify golfers as "athletes", the definition of athletic is clearly up to one's interpretation.

I think what made Larry Bird so skilled is instead of looking at the players he focused on the spaces between (and under) the players.

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
^ awesome.

man, the game is so different today.

to think bird scored 60 in a game back then. that's like 80 now.
Hell, if George Gervin were playing today he'd be averaging 50 a game. Of course, he'd have to pass the modern-day cocaine testing but maybe he could get ahold of Dr. Ferrari for some advice.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Hell, if George Gervin were playing today he'd be averaging 50 a game. Of course, he'd have to pass the modern-day cocaine testing but maybe he could get ahold of Dr. Ferrari for some advice.
The Iceman probably could average 50 a game plus zero assists

1 - 20 of 24 Posts