Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lars Boom, reigning cyclocross World and Dutch champion also won the Dutch Elite Road race as well.

Looking at his results, he has also won the Junior and U23 Cyclocross WC, and the U23 TT WC. There are also some other Dutch national Championships for U23 TT, U23 Cyclocross.

That's pretty damn impressive, right? He's only 22 too.

I wonder if he will ever make a full time commitment to the RR? I gotta imagine it pays more than Cyclocross.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I wonder if he will ever make a full time commitment to the RR? I gotta imagine it pays more than Cyclocross.
I sort of doubt it. He'll be a big fish in a smaller pond, and cross is pretty popular in Holland from what I gather. Why risk being just another pro roadie when you could potentially dominate cross?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I'm pretty sure I remember him committing to cross for the near future, but you've got to figure in a couple of years he will make the switch. Although a cross worlds/TDF focused schedule wouldn't seem that overly demanding if he didn't do much in between.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I'm pretty sure I remember him committing to cross for the near future, but you've got to figure in a couple of years he will make the switch. Although a cross worlds/TDF focused schedule wouldn't seem that overly demanding if he didn't do much in between.
What's he going to win in the Tour of any real consequence? Aren't the Classics a bigger deal and more amenable to cross skills? Wouldn't training for the road undermine his cross abilities? I would think that there would be an easier transition to track or moutain biking.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Because Armstrong money makes Nys money look like chump change :)
Well, Lance is a cultural icon and business man. You're also not suggesting that Boom can switch to the road and become Lance. He potentially could become Nys.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
pretender said:
Cross and classics?
The problem with that is that he'd want to peak for cross worlds in early Feb., which doesn't leave much time to rest and rebuild for the classics. I'm not sure if we know if he can climb at all, but he does appear to TT very well, which is what made me think of the TdF.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Pablo said:
Well, Lance is a cultural icon and business man. You're also not suggesting that Boom can switch to the road and become Lance. He potentially could become Nys.
I think Boom could have the potential to be a GT winner perhaps and he is only going to find out if he makes the switch at some point.

For me, he and Kreuziger (who was also a cyclocrosser in the younger ranks) are the two most likely next big things at this point.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Pablo said:
What's he going to win in the Tour of any real consequence? Aren't the Classics a bigger deal and more amenable to cross skills? Wouldn't training for the road undermine his cross abilities? I would think that there would be an easier transition to track or moutain biking.
You would think that but Boom rides largely on power. His skills are not very good. I've seen multiple cross races were he gets repeatedly gapped through corners.

It may be totally unrealistic because he can't climb well, I've never seen any indication of his climbing abilities, but I think he is/will be a world class TTer.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
You would think that but Boom rides largely on power. His skills are not very good. I've seen multiple cross races were he gets repeatedly gapped through corners.

It may be totally unrealistic because he can't climb well, I've never seen any indication of his climbing abilities, but I think he is/will be a world class TTer.
I wonder how hilly the Dutch road race was? Probably not so very hilly. Still, he won it. At the very least might be good in the cobbled classics.

·
Mountain biker
315 Posts
hike a bike

Dwayne Barry said:
The problem with that is that he'd want to peak for cross worlds in early Feb., which doesn't leave much time to rest and rebuild for the classics. I'm not sure if we know if he can climb at all, but he does appear to TT very well, which is what made me think of the TdF.
I remember watching CX worlds when he won, he would hike the bike during that steep climb during every lap. Others would grind it out and I'm not sure if that was faster, but I remember noting that Boom hiked every time start to finish. I'm not sure if that is really indication of his climbing prowess since it was just a short grunt.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
ewarnerusa said:
I remember watching CX worlds when he won, he would hike the bike during that steep climb during every lap. Others would grind it out and I'm not sure if that was faster, but I remember noting that Boom hiked every time start to finish. I'm not sure if that is really indication of his climbing prowess since it was just a short grunt.
Not a good way to judge. He may have simply made the choice strategically.

That said, elite cross racers don't have the right strength-to-weight ratio for the kind of climbing that leads to GC wins in grand tours. And they also don't typically have the top-end speed of a successful sprinter.

That's why the typical combo is cross and classics, not cross and grand tours.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
pretender said:
That said, elite cross racers don't have the right strength-to-weight ratio for the kind of climbing that leads to GC wins in grand tours. And they also don't typically have the top-end speed of a successful sprinter.

That's why the typical combo is cross and classics, not cross and grand tours.
But there are some exceptions. De Clerq was a good road sprinter before turning entirely to cross in the latter part of his career, I think he even won a stage of the Tour. Gadret can ride amongst the best in cross and climb. He was amongst the best climbers in the '06 Giro before crashing out with a broken collarbone. Although hasn't seemed to be able to recapture that form.

I may be totally off. I just think Boom looks lanky enough that he might be able to climb well enough to defend in the mountains any advantage he might gain in TTs so that he could be serious stage race rider on the road.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i've been in plenty of mtb races where hiking is faster and easier. I never considered myself for picking up 5 or 10 places at a time while hiking, and quite likely avoiding anaerobic hell at the same time. guys hike the cobbles in the classics sometimes, while others ride. I don't believe its a skill thing

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
bauerb said:
i've been in plenty of mtb races where hiking is faster and easier. I never considered myself for picking up 5 or 10 places at a time while hiking, and quite likely avoiding anaerobic hell at the same time. guys hike the cobbles in the classics sometimes, while others ride. I don't believe its a skill thing
Huh? Just how is not riding up a steep hill, especially in the Classics, not a skills issue?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I dunno if Boom's ever going to make the leap to big-time road racing, but at the 2.2 level he's having a phenomenal season, with 11 wins so far (including 2 overall wins and 3 time trial wins). In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that Rabobank will insist that he makes the road his main focus.

I borrowed the list below from www.cqranking.com

29/06/2008 NC2 1 National Championships Netherlands (Ootmarsum)
17/06/2008 2.2s 1 Circuito Montanes, Stage 7 : Potes - Santander
15/06/2008 2.2s 1 Circuito Montanes, Stage 5b : Renedo de Pielagos I.T.T.
11/06/2008 2.2s 1 Circuito Montanes, Stage 1 : Santander - El Astillero
7/06/2008 2.2 1 Volta Ciclista Internacional a Lleida
6/06/2008 2.2s 1 Volta Ciclista Internacional a Lleida, Stage 5b
6/06/2008 2.2s 1 Volta Ciclista Internacional a Lleida, Stage 5a : Les - Vielha T.T.T.
25/05/2008 2.2 1 Olympia's Tour
24/05/2008 2.2s 1 Olympia's Tour, Stage 8 : Gendringen - Buchten
23/05/2008 2.2s 1 Olympia's Tour, Stage 7 : Gendringen - Gendringen I.T.T.
30/04/2008 2.2s 1 Tour de Bretagne - Trophée des Granitiers, Stage 6 : Dol-de-Bretagne - Dol-de-Bretagne I.T.T.
27/04/2008 2.2s 1 Tour de Bretagne - Trophée des Granitiers, Stage 3 : Le Cambout - Fréhel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.