Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize Lance isn't giving up racing and cycling entirely yet. But if this is, indeed, his last TdF what do you think he'll be doing five years from now?

[Responses involving "jail time", "community service" and/or "doping" belong in a different forum]

I think he would make a decent commentator. I don't know if he could do the play-by-play like Phil and Paul, but he could definitely be a contributor.

I also think he would make a good race director. He has a real knowledge of the history of the sport and he understands strategy.

What do you think he'll do?

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
LA's too much of an elitist to commentate to the people. He'll continue doing self-engaging activities like hawking tasteless low-cal beer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd like to see him continue on running Radio Shack. It would be definitely be interesting to see him in the mix with Vaughters, Riis, etc. I don't care for the guy but it is more interesting when he is around.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Assistant manager @ Piggly Wiggly (work release)

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
Does he really need to do anything? I really don't seem him commentating, can't see him sitting in a car all day with a radio in front of him.

I see him more or less doing what he was doing before he un-retired. Living the life, racing occasionally, and knocking up blond chicks.

Plum

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Plum said:
I see him more or less doing what he was doing before he un-retired. Living the life, racing occasionally, and artificially inseminating blond chicks.
Plum
fixed :p

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
I think he'd make a horrible commentator, his speech is too filled with those "ummmms " and "ahhhhs".
I remember before the start of this year's TDF he was asked a question about his strategy in this his last TDF, and he replied "who said it would be my last?" but he appears to have changed his tune since all the crashes.
I'd never discount him riding next year.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Learn how to wrench, become a dead beat, hang out at Mellow Johnnys and drink free beer that people bring in trying to get a killer deal.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
Not to send this into a different forum, but what party do you think he would join?
Ever been to Texas?

I don't see Lance as a commentator, politics would be more like it. Lots of money, well known public figure, hero to millions, that's got "Congress" written all over it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
He is really quite good in the Radio Shack commercials...his performance is amazingly subtle. I can see starting out at cameos, but migrating to a decent acting gig in some capacity.

Even if he fails to take a stage in the TdF, he is going to be a marketable commodity for a few years to come. He could morph this into the head of a major charity or NGO. Maybe start his own, like Clinton or Carter or Gates.

Maybe head a body to bring road racing to the US as a competitive sport. It has taken soccer only 30 years to catch on here in the US (though why, I have no idea...), so the same could happen for cycling. Start with school programs, like soccer, and in 30 years you could field a decent series of teams. High school football is getting bad press due to head injuries. Baseball bores everyone to death. Soccer might be great if you are drunk and European. Hockey is largely limited to towns that can't attract anything else (read: Columbus, OH). So there is definitely an opening for cycling.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts