Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple bottles of LA's Totally Awesome Orange Degreaser that we use around the house. I 'm curious if anyone has used this on their drivetrainl. I'd like to use a citrus degreaser on my chain and cassette and this stuff smells like orange but I can't seem to find anything that confirms the ingredients.

Cheers!
K

·
Registered
101 Posts
Id say thats not going to work very well. Its made for cleaning up kitchen messes and the like, not for dissolving serious amounts of grease and grime from the road. Even citrus degreasers made specifically for bicycles dont work so well I have found.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Use it on your cassette and rings but not the chain (except maybe once in a blue moon when it's really dirty).

Chains should be clean on the surface but totally stripping them of lube everywhere, which strong degreasers do, is counter productive. Soap and hot water in the better choice for regular chain care.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I use Zepp citrus degreaser sold at Home Depot for $12/gallon. It works frigging great. It does not completely strip your chain of oil so it starts to rust like gasoline will. I've been using this stuff for over a decade. Its cheap, effective and perfectly safe for your bike.

I have no idea what LA's Degreaser is, but if its just a liquid cirtrus based degreaser like Zepp, it should be perfectly fine. The degreasers they sell in bike shops are the same thing, just ten times more expensive.

·
9,790 Posts
I have a couple bottles of LA's Totally Awesome Orange Degreaser that we use around the house. I 'm curious if anyone has used this on their drivetrainl. I'd like to use a citrus degreaser on my chain and cassette and this stuff smells like orange but I can't seem to find anything that confirms the ingredients.

Cheers!
K
I use it in the shop. It's only a buck, and works as well as any other degreaser that isn't CleanStreak...

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
No, citrus degreaser is pretty harmelss stuff, unless you're grease. I did have some aluminum parts that had a bad reaction to purple degreaser once, so don't use that. Plain old mineral spirits works pretty well too, especially if your soaking your chain and/or cassette. I think the citrus stuff is less toxic and more environmentally friendly. It doesn't kill my grass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.