Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who lives in Vegas?

I live in Southern Highlands area. Would like to meet/ride with others if possible. Sometimes I ride with the green valley guys & gals. Would be nice to ride with someone closer to me.

So everybody where are you?

Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mattbikeboy said:
I'm in the Silverado Ranch area and sometimes ride with GVC as well. Lately I've been riding around noon for 25-30 miles.

mbb
I've probably seen you on my way to work then. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a Vegas guy, but my in-laws live in Southern Highlands and I'll be down there all next week. Usually bring my MTB and ride out at Cottonwood but would like to bring the roadie this time.

Where are some nice (safe) rides around Southern Highlands? So many of the streets out there seem to not be very bike friendly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
tlh said:
Not a Vegas guy, but my in-laws live in Southern Highlands and I'll be down there all next week. Usually bring my MTB and ride out at Cottonwood but would like to bring the roadie this time.

Where are some nice (safe) rides around Southern Highlands? So many of the streets out there seem to not be very bike friendly.
I live across the I-15 in Silverado Ranch and we regularly add Southern Highlands to our rides. Since the Silverado Ranch exit and overpass on I-15 has been open Southern Highlands is a much nicer place to ride through.

1) You could come north on Dean Martin.
2) Turn east on Silverado Ranch for several blocks
3) Turn north on Bermuda, ride for a block
4) East on Pebble. Follow Pebble east as far as possible (it will merge into Wigwam.
5) Follow Wigwam east to Arroyo Grande
6) Turn up the hill (south) and ride up the hill to Horizon Ridge (about two blocks).
7) West on Horizon Ridge back towards Southern Highlands
8) Left at Green Valley Parkway (up the hill past a shopping center construction site)
9) Follow Green Valley around to the first stoplight.
10) Turn left at the Light (Sandy Ridge)
11) Follow to the end up the hill.
12) At the stop sign -- continue across onto the bike path. Follow up the hill and ride through Anthem Hills Park.
13) Follow parking lot roads out to Reunion.
14) Left on Reunion, follow up and around until it end on Anthem Drive.
15) Left on Anthem (head up)
16) Now you have some choices. Anthem is a loop and you can cut off the big climb by taking the right at Sun City Anthem (half a block past the first stop light you'll pass when going up the hill) -- then ride around to Volunteer (go west (right))
or
17) Follow Anthem up and over the top. Stay on Anthem all the way around until you hit Volunteer (stop light after you climbed all the way around, descended and climbed and descended a shorter steeper climb).
18) Follow Volunteer until it ends at St Rose PKWY
19) Go west (left) On St. Rose. Follow all the way back to Southern Highlands

That should be good for a little more than thirty miles on mostly bike friendly roads. There are some dicier intersections that you'll have to get through (Silverado Ranch and Las Vegas BLVD, St. Rose and the Freeway on-ramp are the two that are the diciest).

You can add more mileage be heading east on Horizon Ridge (but really only good as an out and back) and there are lots of fun steep little roads to explore in the residential areas in Anthem.

Have fun!

mbb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! I mapped it out and it looks like a nice little loop with good options to either lengthen or shorten the ride.

I'll have to fold your directions up and throw them in the jersey for when I undoubtedly get lost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts