Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to get LASIK surgery done. Has anybody else gotten this done and any problems / advice? I have been wearing glasses since Jr. High. I never wore them when I rode and raced because my eyesight wasn't that bad. After a 10 year "retirement" I am back on the bike, just picked up my racing license again, but I have to wear my glasses now.
I've heard that it is real quick, and no problems with halo effect. Any thoughts or issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Some people have had no problems. Numerous others have filed lawsuits. I would do some research.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
I am not a medical doctor, but iirc there are two things you need to check out.

First, how many surgeries your doc has done. Lots, or don't let them do you.

Second, there are certain tests that they SHOULD do before saying you are a good candidate (corneal surface scans, curvature measurements, etc.). Make sure those test are done, because if they are not your doc is a quack.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
dr hoo said:
I am not a medical doctor, but iirc there are two things you need to check out.

First, how many surgeries your doc has done. Lots, or don't let them do you.

Second, there are certain tests that they SHOULD do before saying you are a good candidate (corneal surface scans, curvature measurements, etc.). Make sure those test are done, because if they are not your doc is a quack.

Hoo is right on, My wife had this done, and LOVES it, she has no regrets, But we chose a surgeon who has done over 10,000 procedures and does nothing but LASIK. If it's an opthalmologist who just dabbles in LASIK, I would not use him, I wanted someone who eats, sleeps, and breathes LASIK. Hoo is also right about the preoperative testing, there are several different types of machines and procedures and a good surgeon will try to personalize the procedure to you and your particular anatomical requirements. Do some research before you proceed, find a good reputable and experienced surgeon, and then make your decision after discussing with them. I always hesitate to tell people to do research on the internet regarding medicine, because there is a LOT of BAD information out there, and for the uninformed, it can be hard to tell what is good or bad. So I would recommend meeting with a surgeon and talking it over with him before making up your
mind.

·
Registered
635 Posts
my dad had it about 4 years back. same thing, doc who lives lasik and lasik only, 10k + opperations performed, all the tests, etc.... he loves it. He had terrible vision and got it done so one eye is for distance and one is for reading/closer stuff. It took him awhile to get used to, but he loves it now. Def. talk think it through and find a good doc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had it done in early Feb. My wife got it done in Nov of 2005 and had 0 problems with it. She woke up the next morning and was able to see 20/20, no problem. There is a recovery peroid in which night vision is a bit crappy.

When I got it done, my recovery period was a bit longer. The 1st 2 weeks my eye sight was horrible. I was cursing out the doctor. But after a while, my eye sight started to improve. So the recovery period varies with people. But my vision is not 20/20 like my wife its more like 20/30.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lasik Problems

I had it done a about 4 years ago and have a few issues.
From day one my night vision is crap, I get star vision when looking at oncoming lights and stars, they kind of bleed out. I also get days, where my vision seems to be weak for no apparent reason. I also remember having a dry eye condition for about the first year. They tell me that the star vision is a result of having a large pupil which opens in low light conditions past the corrected part of the lense? Check out this web site for good info:
www.surgicaleyes.org

·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. The Dr. I am using is very well known and very respected in this field. All he does is LASIK. I have an appointment 3 days before where they will check my cornea, dilate my pupils and all that stuff. I asked about the halo effect at night and they informed me that the new procedures now correct a good bit past the pupils so when they expand at night, they are still in the corrected area. I guess it is not a done deal yet because they have to measure my cornea and all that stuff. Only bad thing is that I am working nights the week I am having it done so I hope the recovery time is nill.

Thanks again for the info. BTW, as a side note, I was finally able to downgrade my categories (road and track) on my new (renewed) racing license. I had to send in a racing resume showing that I haven't been racing in the past 15 years. Thought that was kinda odd.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had mine done 10/04 by a doc with 30K plus procedures, and only after three co-workers had it done by the same doc with excellent results. I had heard all the horror stories and after doing a ton of research, I concluded most of the bad results were from folks who went with the $499/eye places at the mall. I've worn glasses since 8YO, and haven't been able to tolerate contacts since about 1990. My prescription was -5.25, -5.75 with astigmatism of 1.25, 1.75. I was 20/400 or something. After my eyes healed and stabilized (about a month), I was 20/15. I had some initial issues with starbursts at night, but it's resolved to the point I don't notice them any longer.

Definitely do your research, talk to previous patients, and expect to pay for a good doc's experience, training, and equipment. Your eyes are not a place you want to save a buck.;)

Jim

·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Seamus. Everyone I've talked to that had this Dr. loves it and him, but everyone is right, more research can't hurt. This is definitely not one of those $499 an eye places in the mall. $2,500 for both, and he's got a really good reputation. I'm like you. Have an astigmatism but with the shape of my cornea I'd have to get specialized contacts and after about 2 years of wearing those things it would cost the same as a LASIK procedure.

Thank you for your information!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts