Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was windy and cold today. But not as windy and cold as we had gotten used to last month.

The thing to do on windy days is to start out into the wind so you can finish with a tailwind and a smile on your face. So we rode through Georgetown, crossed the Key Bridge to the very urban Custis Trail before hopping on the W&OD straight into a pretty good (and cold (as in freezing cold)) wind.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
MB1 said:
It was windy and cold today. But not as windy and cold as we had gotten used to last month.

The thing to do on windy days is to start out into the wind so you can finish with a tailwind and a smile on your face. So we rode through Georgetown, crossed the Key Bridge to the very urban Custis Trail before hopping on the W&OD straight into a pretty good (and cold (as in freezing cold)) wind.
You have nice bikes. I am starting to get into the mindset that I will not be a competitive rider until I retire. I work about 60-70 hours a week and if I didn't commute, I doubt that I would get 120 miles a week with just weekend rides. I was thinking about a nice steel frame with a cool lugset. I have always liked chromed lugs on a painted frame. I was thinking about a custom with chrome chainstays and half chrome seat stays. Something to ride for the pure enjoyment of being on a bike that is one of a kind. I could find something on eBay, but it wouldn't have been built for me. I will move to Sardinia next May, so maybe I can find a local builder to make me something nice. I will probably be in Virginia in late 08, early 09 so I can show you in person.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After 40 miles of oh so fun riding (straight into the wind) we took a right on Hamilton Station and were treated to an outstanding sidewind.

Now anyone familiar with the area may wonder what the heck we were doing on Hamilton Station when there were plenty of other roads that would take us down to the river with a lot more protection from the wind.

What do you think we were doing?

We were riding our Waterfords through Waterford naturally!

Of course from there we had to go over the dirt road on Furnace Mountain (either that or another 10 fun filled miles straight into the wind).

Once we cross the Potomac we would normally take the C&O Tow Path for a few miles. Today with those great tailwinds we stuck to those nice wide open farm roads.

We were flying.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just before we hit the outer ring of suburbs we finally headed down to the Tow Path for some fun riding (in color or not) and to avoid a whole lot of messy traffic.

Then it was up and out at Great Falls before taking the Mcarthur Bike Trail home.

It had warmed up to temps we hadn't ridden in for quite a while (but I am sure it really wasn't 90).

Then it was time for dinner.

Spring Rolls wern't enough, I'm ready for the real thing.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I am going to have gears on a bike, I am going to have them all.

jplatzner said:
Either that bike has a triple, or you are taking pictures in one monster gear. :)
Although I really love riding fixed it does have its limits. Normally we are fine on that route fixed but with yesterdays headwinds it would have been really tough fixed and the tailwinds would not have been near as much fun.

The gearie is normally set up with 24/36/46 rings and a 12-25 9 speed cassette. Every so often if we are going to do something totally crazy (like pull stumps) I slap on the 11-34.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is funny how you look forward to getting older to get in better shape.

bigbill said:
You have nice bikes. I am starting to get into the mindset that I will not be a competitive rider until I retire. I work about 60-70 hours a week and if I didn't commute, I doubt that I would get 120 miles a week with just weekend rides. I was thinking about a nice steel frame with a cool lugset. I have always liked chromed lugs on a painted frame. I was thinking about a custom with chrome chainstays and half chrome seat stays. Something to ride for the pure enjoyment of being on a bike that is one of a kind. I could find something on eBay, but it wouldn't have been built for me. I will move to Sardinia next May, so maybe I can find a local builder to make me something nice. I will probably be in Virginia in late 08, early 09 so I can show you in person.
Of course it does actually work that way. The kids move out, the finances are in shape, the SO doen't want to see you so much. Lots of time to train.

BTW I'll point out that right now and as long as you are in Hawaii you have a unique chance to obtain a custom Brust frame. Not too many of those on the road.

BTW2 Even though I know that I could have bought the same perfomance for several thousand dollars less there is something really nice about riding a beautiful bicycle built just for me (the miles fly by).

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
MB1 said:
The gearie is normally set up with 24/36/36 rings and a 12-25 9 speed cassette. Every so often if we are going to do something totally crazy (like pull stumps) I slap on the 11-34.

Is that a typo: 24/36/36? If not, why 2 rings of the same size? Seems odd....and duplicative.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
36/36 gives great ring life and better chainline.

wasfast said:
Is that a typo: 24/36/36? If not, why 2 rings of the same size? Seems odd....and duplicative.
More likely though it was just my fat fingered mistake (the chainrings are 24/36/46).

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
B&W

That B&W shot on the tow path is sublime. Nice to have a versatile bike that you can take on mixed surfaces. That's real cycling - when you can roll down new paths and have fun exploring...

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B&W vrs Color

ispoke said:
That B&W shot on the tow path is sublime. Nice to have a versatile bike that you can take on mixed surfaces. That's real cycling - when you can roll down new paths and have fun exploring...
I love rich saturated color. This time of year when the light is so blue and all the colors are washed out (and there is almost no green) I'm thinking B&W really works better for photos and is more interesting to see.

I'm ready for some spring.

BTW I have always taken any of my bikes anywhere-I sure do enjoy rides that include a bunch of surfaces and terrain.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
MB1 said:
I love rich saturated color. This time of year when the light is so blue and all the colors are washed out (and there is almost no green) I'm thinking B&W really works better for photos and is more interesting to see.

I'm ready for some spring.

BTW I have always taken any of my bikes anywhere-I sure do enjoy rides that include a bunch of surfaces and terrain.
Oh spring! MB1 I know what you mean, I've heard whispers of 74 on Saturday mmmmm long ride.
I love the picts and agree on the B&W pic. helps when nature is so grey.

Cheers.
S

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, thats a cool looking ride you have put together. I often ride a couple of the trails you mentioned. Question: how many miles total? Also is that ride described any where else? I'm thinking about a detailed description or cue sheet, something like that? Great pic's BTW
Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
110ish, no route slip.

hurtbac2fat said:
Hey, thats a cool looking ride you have put together. I often ride a couple of the trails you mentioned. Question: how many miles total? Also is that ride described any where else? I'm thinking about a detailed description or cue sheet, something like that? Great pic's BTW
Thanks
We are pretty familiar with all the roads around here so we just kind of make things up as we go. You can find a route pretty close to this on on bikewashington.org

·
Registered
704 Posts
bigbill said:
One day, I will post the rest of the shots of my new baby, but for now, is this the sort of thing that trips your trigger, Bill?

Of course, if you're hanging around Italy, they've got the odd good custom builder too - this one's from the NE of England, save you wondering

Nice ride photos MB - good to see you're not hanging around the house just because it's cold. Mz Sue reckons you are a bubble off plumb, BTW - but she thinks that about me too!

Regards

Dereck

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ooooo (bright red), ooooooh (chrome stays), aaaaaaah (Brit old school).

Carbon fork?!??? Arrrrrrrggggggggggg. ;)

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
MB1: I really should show you my Bob Jackson. It's a little sad-looking right now (Haven't ridden it since July), but it's burgundy with a white head tube and pinstriped lugs (matching steel fork, too). I've been tempted to convert it to down tube shifting just to clean up the lines even more.

·
Registered
704 Posts
MB1 said:
Ooooo (bright red), ooooooh (chrome stays), aaaaaaah (Brit old school).

Carbon fork?!??? Arrrrrrrggggggggggg. ;)
Actually, it's orange! Orange and black - the colours of a certain small non-profit fundraising consultancy you might just have encounted ;) It was originally going to be silver with black, but I surprised Ms Sue somewhat...

The style - don't know what you lot were painting your frames like in the US around about 1970, but this is straight of British cycling late 60's / early 70's My last BJ was pretty much this style - minus the chrome, which I couldn't afford then - but in red and white.

The CF fork - I'd decided to join in the present century with a 1-1/8" steerer, but there's no decent fork crowns around that match the lugs I wanted (plain spearpoint), so I thought I'd go the whole enchilada. I suppose I should have gotten a 1" steerer with steel fork... Promise you when I get the "Curly" for my 60th, it will be "correct".

Did I say that?

I will post some more piccies up in frames when I can find the Round Tuit - tax season is hard on a two person shop :eek: - but the detail work on this frame is about as good as it gets.

This makes a positive count of three Bob Jacksons around DC, with a possible report of a fourth. One is a 16-odd year old trike! Revolution sell that many Trek Mad-Ones on a Saturday (unless a certain uber-salesman is working, when it's probably more like a dozen ;) )

Regards

Dereck

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think I have ever sold a plastic wrek.

Dereck said:
... Revolution sell that many Trek Mad-Ones on a Saturday (unless a certain uber-salesman is working, when it's probably more like a dozen ;) )

Regards

Dereck
BTW Tony had the same reaction to the frame (and the fork :eek: ) as I did. Love those lugs....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts