Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but that doesnt stop the two chicks in the cube next to me from goin on and on about how great he is as a host. they love how he always breaks character and is so dry.
"he did this thing last night? called bromance novels? anditwassofunny." i saw that bit. funny concept, but horrible execution. it was like someone threw out that idea, the writers got all excited, then stopped trying after coming up with 2 titles. it was like a pale imitation of a bad jay leno bit (and arent all leno bits bad) minus the smug cackle and steroid bobble head.

he aint dry. he is a dope with extremely poor delivery. and breaking character once in a while is amusing. but always breaking character means you cant pull it off. ever.

"so much better than cona ever was."

i fear for the future of comedy.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
He s no better (or worse) then anyone else from that SNL generation. Seriously, SNL stopped being funny 10-12 yrs ago. This just goes to show you can spoon feed sheep and they'll eat it.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I saw the 1st few minutes of it and quickly changed back to Ferguson, who is MUCH funnier, atmo.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its like a high schooler's public access production of what they think late night should be, only broadcast on better quality television.

conan had a tough time, but it took a mindset of "he is not, nor will he try to be, david letterman." once that was understood, conan really took off. he had a pretty good niche with my college friends, and we followed a bit after college. he is in a bad place right now. so screwed over...

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
where did Conan go? I totally missed that.
Vacation, then replacing Leno in the fall.

And yeah, Fallon really blows. Points for an inspired house band choice (probably not his), but other than that, I guess I'll start watching Ferguson.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
damn, i can't even stay up that late anymore....

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I would be an awesome talk show host.

joe

·
What the Hell is going on
5,139 Posts
30 Rock

deastin said:
He s no better (or worse) then anyone else from that SNL generation. Seriously, SNL stopped being funny 10-12 yrs ago. This just goes to show you can spoon feed sheep and they'll eat it.
I dunno. Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan are hilarious on "30 Rock". His "interview" with Tina Fey was terrible. Ferguson is much better.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I rarely stay up late enough to watch these shows and even when I do I rarely watch these shows. Seldom watch The Tonight Show or Letterman, much less the others. I'd much rather watch re-runs of Seinfeld or Fraiser. I've seen enough of Conan to know that any replacement can't be much worse. I will definitely not watch the Tonight Show when he replaces Leno.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I saw the first show. Some slow stuff, but he was happered in part by deniro who is by far the worst guest in the history of television. Whats he trying to prove? He's been on Larry King (didnt say a freakin word the whole interview), and on Fallon he sat there like a dope. Way too big for his britches. It took Timberlake to livin up the joint. Fallon needs a nitche like someone said. Lets face it, none of these people write the majority of their material, Fallon needs to call the folks from Family Guy or 30 rock and get some decent writers. He needs edgy, not Leno/Carson stuff.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Sounds like going to bed before it starts will still work..

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i am telling you right now: 85% of the problem is delivery. 15% is lack of material. i saw them try to install a "video of the day." seriously? that should have gone out once youtube hit. the bit is basically a plasma TV that shows a youtube-type video. fallon then tries to vamp over it. it is very awkward and non-funny. the one i saw was a video of some foreign QVC type thing with people dancing. fallon couldn't get a joke off to save his life.

chris kattan would be a better host.
heck, goat boy would be a better host. and i dont mean jim breuer. i mean the character goat boy.

bigmig19 said:
Lets face it, none of these people write the majority of their material, Fallon needs to call the folks from Family Guy or 30 rock and get some decent writers. He needs edgy, not Leno/Carson stuff.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Wizards at NBC Decided...

...their prime-time programming lacks. couple that with the high cost of producing hour long dramas. to cut costs and boost rating they decided to move Jay Leno into the 10:00-11:00 slot. they figured Leno was set to leave The Tonight Show soon, anyway, so...

they way Conan is getting bent over a barrel here is he will now be going head-to-head with Letterman (which he would have been doing soon anyway, just earlier than they planned), but Leno will be getting all the prime guests TTS would have gotten. most people who watched TTS did so because of Leno. they will al hit the hay during the nightly news now. anyone who sticks around would likely switch to see Letterman than try and "get" Conan's humor. people have said Conan needs to grow up to survive that slot, but he claimed during his last Late Night he wouldn't.

conan also had to move everything from NYC to cali.

the only thing that can save Conan are the fans who were introduced to him at LN but never saw Letterman. thats not a lot of people.

conans last week was awesome. i hadnt watched a full week of conan in a long time. i missed a lot. watching that final week was bittersweet. the last episode was the most bitter and the most sweet of all. i liked him taking the last five minutes to address the fans and talk about the people who stuck by him. seeing him almost cry was heart-wrenching. seriously. he battled against a lot at NBC. when he finally became successful they treated him like a dog.
now he knows how letterman felt.

Creakyknees said:
where did Conan go? I totally missed that.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
ampastoral said:
damn, i can't even stay up that late anymore....
+1
That's past my beddy-bye time.

·
Opus was just napping
21,653 Posts
Tig said:
+1
That's past my beddy-bye time.
Same here...but was young enough back then to stay up and remember how unwaveringly horrible Conan was when he first started. Even by Conan own admission he was god awful.

Have to give folks time to find themselves and get comfortable--he is wearing some pretty big shoes. Will see if I make it that late on Friday to give him a look see. But normally right after The Soup it is time for bed.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
thatsmybush said:
Same here...but was young enough back then to stay up and remember how unwaveringly horrible Conan was when he first started.
i don't think i've ever seen a full episode. last time i even seen any of his how had to be over 10yrs ago. actually must be longer than that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts