Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This previous weekend was a Double Points weekend at performance as you all may know, so I ordered a bunch of stuff.

I've moved recently, and I made sure to get it shipped to my new address. This also means paying considerably higher sales tax in my new state, Washington. They charged me the WA sales tax rate of 8.8%, and the confirmation e-mail had the address information all correct.

The next day, I get a Shipping Confirmation e-mail. They sent it to my old address, anyhow.

I checked my Performance customer account to see if I'd forgotten something. Nope, my new address is in there.

And, they only gave me the usual points, not double.

Um. I know, I know, "that's what you get, support your LBS, blah blah." But, seriously.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Argentius said:
This previous weekend was a Double Points weekend at performance as you all may know, so I ordered a bunch of stuff.

I've moved recently, and I made sure to get it shipped to my new address. This also means paying considerably higher sales tax in my new state, Washington. They charged me the WA sales tax rate of 8.8%, and the confirmation e-mail had the address information all correct.

The next day, I get a Shipping Confirmation e-mail. They sent it to my old address, anyhow.

I checked my Performance customer account to see if I'd forgotten something. Nope, my new address is in there.

And, they only gave me the usual points, not double.

Um. I know, I know, "that's what you get, support your LBS, blah blah." But, seriously.
They are bad and getting worse lately. The other day I saw they had 24 packs of Gu on at a good price. I put it in my cart and then logged in to my Team account. Went back to my cart and the price had went up $5. I emailed and asked if this was a new Team benefit... Also, every year they charge sales tax and shipping on my Team membership dues. I email and they refund it, but wouldn't think they could fix it? - TF

·
Registered
209 Posts
gawd awful S&H

I placed an order 3/11, shipped 3/13 and no sign of it yet. Checked the tracking site and it is supposed to arrive in my state 4/5/06, with another 4 to 7 days before it finds its way to me. A month to get a box of less than 4 lbs! E-mailed em and suggested that what they charge for standard S&H there's profit enough to use a better service or upgrade, all of which would go a long way to improve customer satisfaction and loyalty. Told them that all the cycling forums contain criticism of their poor shipping, and just a simple fix as this could result in vastly improved PR.

Oh, they offerred to refund my S&H costs.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I was WONDERING about the sales tax on the S&H, too! $11 * .088 is only like a buck, but, hey, the guv'ment doesn't get THAT buck!

I'm callin' em tomorrow.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Their tracking system is jakkkkkked....my orders either NEVER show up in the tracking site or show up the day of delivery.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I am dealing with the exact same issue, only worse. They told me you have to change your address, log out, then back in and make your order. I asked why it wasn't on the site warning of this, and they said, "well, it might be." Of course it isn't, or I WOULD HAVE SEEN IT!

Then when I call to complain, there response was, "well, it's at the old address, just go get it." On top of that, online sizing was wrong so I had to send it back. When they return shipping, they use the APX crap rather than what you paid for the 1st time. I have been waiting since March 14th (the day they supposedly re-shipped, original order was March 2). I have argued with them so much they finally agreed to refund my order, but I have yet to see the refund that was promised on Friday. (today is Tuesday.)

Also, they totally screwed up the original order price total, then refunded like $1.24 more when they got the return, then charged me just the merchandise total again, without the original discount. Confused? Me too.

I absolutely hate this company.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah.

I called them, they told me the exact same thing about "well, if you had changed your address in your PROFILE, it would have gone to it."

I said "okay, but, when I ordered, it asked for billing address. I gave it my new address. I said ship to the billing address. The original confirmation says that it's coming to my new address. How was I supposed to know that it ... wouldn't?"

"Well, you just wrote over top of the old address, which means it looks right on your screen, but not in our system."

I moved out of state, BTW, so it's not as though I can go GET it. Fortunately, it's still in transit, so they could have FedEx reroute it. But, they say, it will cost an extra $10.

"No, no, you don't understand. If there's an error in your system, I shouldn't have to pay for it..."

"No, sir, the system doesn't have an error, it's just that you wrote over top of..."

ARGH.

After a few minutes of arguing they finally fixed it. But, still. I get better customer service from random eBay sellers than this.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Just a question...

So just about every single day of the week, there is someone on here complaining about the bad performance of Performance. OK, maybe not everyday, but there is at least a rant per week about them, and yet you guys keep going there and ordering from them. Why? You hear the horror stories on here, and yet you keep going back. Why? No deal is worth all of the hassle you all seem to get from them. Usually, the rants end with, "Well it's been 2 weeks now and I still don't have my -insert product name here- and Performance said they weren't going to do anything about it." What's the old saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Do we have a bunch o' fools on here?

·
Put the seat down!
550 Posts
OK, so I may be opening a can of worms here, and I totally am not intending to be condescending to anyone who has ordered something from these guys. But... you order something and have all these issues, or you've read these posts and know they have these problems, so then what is it that draws people in to order only to experience the same problems? Misery loves company I guess. I've ordered 1 part from performance in the last 2 years, got it in a timely manner and had no issues, but I will never take a chance on them again given all the problems I've heard about. There isn't an amount of money they could save me that would make it worth the frustration, hassle and anger involved.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Getting to big for their britches

Yes I've ordered from Performance a couple of times with out any problems. I think when they took over Supergo and Nashbar, they bit off more then they can chew. I know there are 1 or 2 of their stores in PA but I haven't been in to one yet. Supporting your LBS is a good thing, I use them if I'm stumped and need a repair, but as far as accessories and clothing, you sometimes can't beat the deals on the internet or through places like performance.

·
Put the seat down!
550 Posts
magnolialover said:
So just about every single day of the week, there is someone on here complaining about the bad performance of Performance. OK, maybe not everyday, but there is at least a rant per week about them, and yet you guys keep going there and ordering from them. Why? You hear the horror stories on here, and yet you keep going back. Why? No deal is worth all of the hassle you all seem to get from them. Usually, the rants end with, "Well it's been 2 weeks now and I still don't have my -insert product name here- and Performance said they weren't going to do anything about it." What's the old saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Do we have a bunch o' fools on here?
HA! Got me by 5 minutes! We're totally on the same page with this though... Well said Magnolialover!

·
Registered
819 Posts
There deals were pretty amazing, and this was only my second order. The first took 7 days to even leave the store, then the crappy APX turtle shipping. On that one they told me if I wanted the order to go out right away I had to up the shipping or they would just fill it at their leisure. (not kidding). I paid up this time, but regret ever falling for it.

Oh, and the first shorts were nice enough I thought it was worth the risk.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I'm not surprised by any of this. What real competition does Performance/Supergo/Nashabar have? Without competition there is no real need to keep customer service sharp.

After another recent Performance thread, I decided to stop in the new Performance megamart in Tucson. What a waste. First it was like going to one of those big chain grocery stores, where half of everything they sell is their own brand: lots of things on shelves but damned little selection. And to be honest, a lot of the Performance name brand stuff looked like junk. Needless to say, I didn't spend any money there, nor will I. Their prices on stuff I would buy aren't that great......if they even have the stuff. Also, the prices are nearly as good at my regular LBS, and at that LBS, they can order whatever I want.

Oh....hanging above the doors to Performance was a Performance logo sign. The sign reminded me of the little Stonehenge prop in Spinal Tap: it was ridiculously small. Looked completely amateurish and stupid.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
magnolialover said:
Because nobody else is any better. Performance is just bigger so it gets more complaints. It's not like we don't get LBS rants or rants about the overseas, on-line sellers. - TF

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Because nobody else is any better. Performance is just bigger so it gets more complaints. It's not like we don't get LBS rants or rants about the overseas, on-line sellers. - TF
Well, I beg to differ: there are plenty of shops that are far and away better than Performance.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
magnolialover said:
What's the old saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Do we have a bunch o' fools on here?
I've seen another one (attributed to Einstein, but you know how that goes) that's similar.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Honestly, people. You see these posts all the time, so there just might be some truth to them. If you actually still order something from Performance, don't go whining about it...what did you expect?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Absolutely right. You get what you pay for, and you get what you deserve. There are plenty of reputable e-tailers who will price match even Performance. Their selection may not be as deep and they may not have fancy features like order tracking, but you can usually call and get the owner on the phone, or someone standing right next to the owner.

I'm no shill, but I use WiseCycleBuys quite often. They will price match almost anything, even eBay stores. Also, I've used LickBike with great satisfaction. Again, they may not have everything, such as PowerBars. Maybe for bars/drinks join the local GNC club and go on discount days.

magnolialover said:

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Most of the LBS complaints I've read are about service, not sales. They can't send something to the wrong address, I've never heard of any that won't honor the price on the product, no sales tax on shipping so it can't be screwed up in the first place, there normally aren't ads and Team memberships to have problems with, etc. Just less to go wrong. Sure, you might run into some winners, but at least you're face to face and can just walk out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts