Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I've seen them around here for many years. Unless you poke your hand where you shouldn't they just leave you alone. Normally they act like the sloth of the bug world.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Nah....just saturate your property with Roundup and you'll be good. :D
How exactly would that deal with the bugs? I guess maybe once the herbicide has killed all your plants, the bugs that these bugs prey on would eventually leave, so the wheel bugs would go, too.

The headline on that Outside article is incredibly stupid.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I was thinking this was going to be some crazy bug that latched onto bicycle wheels...

Was thinking I'd have to carry a bic and hairspray..? (whatever Bond used to jury-rig the makeshift flamethrower)

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
How exactly would that deal with the bugs? I guess maybe once the herbicide has killed all your plants, the bugs that these bugs prey on would eventually leave, so the wheel bugs would go, too.

The headline on that Outside article is incredibly stupid.
Who knows...maybe Roundup kills bugs since it's so toxic. Or at the least it might sicken them, or possibly vex them.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Hold our for the carbon fiber edition.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
If you really need something to worry about you might want to bone up on world affairs.
That's actually pretty close to the bottom of the "things to worry about" list for me. I don't spend much time worrying about things I can't change. Waste of energy.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you really need something to worry about you might want to bone up on world affairs.
Oh, I'm completely oblivious to world affairs and spend most of my free time watching cat videos. Every so often I'll stumble across something I think is worth sharing with the community, especially, if like me, they've never heard of a wheel bug yet might encounter one while MTBing, changing a tire on the side of the road, etc.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Sadly we live in a world where it's easy shed this responsibility and outsource it to others, who may not have the best intentions.
There's a difference between caring and worrying. I care about a lot of things going on in the world but they don't constantly occupy my mind to the point of being worried.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Was thinking I'd have to carry a bic and hairspray..? (whatever Bond used to jury-rig the makeshift flamethrower)
You should already be carrying those things. There are so many times when an improvised flamethrower was just what the situation needed.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
There are two types of things to worry about: The things you CAN change, and the things you CAN'T.

No sense in worrying about the things you can change, since you can change those things accordingly.

No sense in worrying about the things you can't change (meteors, terrorist attacks, Yellowstone supervolcano, and now wheelbugs), 'cause you can't do a damn thing about them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.