Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mancebo has retired: 30 yr. old Spanish hopeful Mancebo has announced to his DS that he will retire from cycling effective immediately. (gets the David Millar, disgrace in honour award)

Ulrich: Shocked and dismayed at his suspension from TDF. "Worst day of his career". Will fight to prove his innocence (I sense a Tyler coming on)

Basso: Has slipped away from Strasbourg incognito while Riis was announcing his suspension from the TDF squad. Has said that his lawyers will do the talking for him as he fights to prove his innocence (Ah, let the lawyers talk -- good one there!)

ASTANA: as the team only can field 4 of the original 9 riders (Hunter and Contador out), they cannot start the TDF since they are under the minimum number of riders required to start as per ASA's rules. Vino OUT!

footnote: ASTANA just signed on as a sponsor and already their name is irrevocably linked to cheating and doping -- someone in the Kazakh company's marketing dept will have hell to pay for!

Source for newsbits: Equipe

· imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
philippec said:
Mancebo has retired: 30 yr. old Spanish hopeful Mancebo has announced to his DS that he will retire from cycling effective immediately. (gets the David Millar, disgrace in honour award)

Ulrich: Shocked and dismayed at his suspension from TDF. "Worst day of his career". Will fight to prove his innocence (I sense a Tyler coming on)

Basso: Has slipped away from Strasbourg incognito while Riis was announcing his suspension from the TDF squad. Has said that his lawyers will do the talking for him as he fights to prove his innocence (Ah, let the lawyers talk -- good one there!)

ASTANA: as the team only can field 4 of the original 9 riders (Hunter and Contador out), they cannot start the TDF since they are under the minimum number of riders required to start as per ASA's rules. Vino OUT!

footnote: ASTANA just signed on as a sponsor and already their name is irrevocably linked to cheating and doping -- someone in the Kazakh company's marketing dept will have hell to pay for!

Source for newsbits: Equipe
here is not quite an accurate translation (used babelfish) , but readabe

L'Equipe page

GENERAL
STAGES
BY POINTS
MOUNTAIN
BETTER YOUNG PERSON
COMBATIVITE
BY TEAMS

Jan Ullrich in the eye of the cyclone. (The Team)

TO ALSO READ

Leblanc: "a courageous gesture"
The actu of the Turn of France

TO RETAIN
The list of the principal quoted runners
The Spanish media published a widened list, Friday morning.
ASTANA-WURTH: Joseba Beloki (Esp), Angel Vicioso (Esp), Isidro Nozal (Esp), Jörg Jaksche (ALL)
CSC: Ivan Basso (ITA)
AG2R: Francisco Mancebo (Esp)
T-MOBILE: Jan Ullrich (ALL), Oscar Sevilla (Esp)
WITHDRAW OR SUSPENDED FOR DOPING: Roberto Heras (Esp), Angel Casero (Esp), Santiago Perez (Esp), Tyler Hamilton (the USA), Igor Gonzalez Galdeano (Esp)

THE DECAPITATED TURN

After Jan Ullrich and Oscar Sevilla, drawn aside by their team T-Mobile, it is with the turn of Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo to be made suspend Friday by CSC and AG2R. They will not take part in the 93e edition of the Turn of France, which springs Saturday of Strasbourg. All are suspected of doping after dismantling in May of a Spanish network of autologous transfusions.

Caught up with by the suspicions
The Italian Ivan Basso, the German Jan Ullrich, the Spaniards Sevilla Oscar and Francisco Mancebo were to take part as from Saturday with the 93e edition of the Turn of France, which springs of Strasbourg. But all these great names of world cycling were caught up with by the suspicions of doping which weigh on their shoulders since dismantling, in Spain, of a network of autologous transfusions last May. The sporting director of the formation T-Mobile, the Belgian Rudy Pevenage, also makes the expenses of the investigation of Spanish justice, and will not take part in the edition 2006 of the Outer Loop.

"Because of the documents which the direction of the Turn provided us, we consider that it is impossible to continue to work with these three people", Christian Frommert, the spokesman of T-Mobile estimated, making reference to the ousting of Ullrich, Sevilla, and Pevenage. The ethical code signed by the teams stipulates that they must withdraw on suspicion any runner implied in a legal procedure related to doping. They are however well the organizers of the small queen who announced the suspension of Basso and Mancebo, before their respective teams (CSC and AG2R) do not align themselves on the decision of the direction of race.

The group will spring without winner
With the ousting of Ullrich, it is the only winner of the Outer Loop (in 1997) committed this year which disappears from the group. The German formed part of the hot favorites of the edition 2006, just like the Italian Ivan Basso of the CSC, victorious of Giro last May.

The former champion Bernard Hinault, who works now in the organization of the competition in the field of the public relations, estimates that "15 to 20 people" could be prohibited of Turn. "doping is not generalized [ in cycling ], and on 400 or 500 professional runners, there are 50 of them which are in this operation" declared on the antenna of RTL the victorious quintuple of the Outer Loop. "I wait until the housework is done. These people-there are not desirable in the Turn of France, even the favourites, it does not have there a preferential treatment " it concluded.

(With AFP)

Promotional bonds

CREDIT HELP SEEK
© The TEAM 24/24 - 2005 - all rights reserved
Appropriations photographs: The Team/AFP/Reuters

· Registered
21 Posts
Here's the catch for Astana: the riders are not banned (yet). They're just on the list. Now it is the team who can choose to retire these riders. If they do: not enough riders to start.

But why couldn't they wait for the first stage to be started to retire these riders? There is a rule concerning the number of riders at the start but NOT AT THE END!

(edited for sp.)

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
greenasgrass said:
But why couldn't they wait for the first stage to be started to retire these riders? There is a rule concerning the number of riders at the start but NOT AT THE END!
Why on earth would they do that??? If they have enough riders that are eligible to start, they'll start ... and they'll continue. A team has nothing to gain by pulling riders that are eligible to compete.

· Registered
21 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
Why on earth would they do that??? If they have enough riders that are eligible to start, they'll start ... and they'll continue. A team has nothing to gain by pulling riders that are eligible to compete.
They're not. 5 of the 9 riders are on the list (Sergio Paulinho, Isidro Nozal, Allan Davis, Alberto Contador, Joseba Beloki)... which brings down to 4 the number of eligible riders. The minimum to start is 6.

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
greenasgrass said:
5 of the 9 riders are on the list (Sergio Paulinho, Isidro Nozal, Allan Davis, Alberto Contador, Joseba Beloki)... which brings down to 4 the number of eligible riders. The minimum to start is 6.
That's what I don't get about what you're saying. If they don't have the minimum of six eligible riders, they can't start. Either they have enough riders to start, or they don't. If they DO have the minimum of six, what is gained by retiring those riders after they start?

Maybe I'm missing something about what you're saying.

· Registered
839 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
That's what I don't get about what you're saying. If they don't have the minimum of six eligible riders, they can't start. Either they have enough riders to start, or they don't. If they DO have the minimum of six, what is gained by retiring those riders after they start?

Maybe I'm missing something about what you're saying.
I'm probably not explaining well.

Here's my thought: so far all banned riders were suspended by their team. Not UCI or ASO. From http://permanent.nouvelobs.com/sport/20060630.FAP6344.html?1533: " Si la direction de leur équipe décidait de les empêcher de prendre le départ du Tour de France samedi à Strasbourg -comme l'ont décidé la T-Mobile pour Jan Ullrich et la CSC pour Ivan Basso- elle ne disposerait plus du nombre minimum de coureurs (six) requis pour pouvoir participer à la course." In other words, If the team's direction decides not to allow these listed riders on the tour, the team will not have anough riders to start.

One way or the other, these riders will end up banned. Logically Astana should retire them like T-Mobile ans CSC did. But I'm wondering if they can wait just one day to do so...

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
I think the point is that simply because the rider's name is on the list, doesn't automatically bar them from starting. At this point, it is the team's decision to retire them or not.

Generally, the team would be expected to retire them. But they could stall the decision long enough to make a start, then 'decide' to pull them after the prologue. By technical rules it might be feasible, but it would be bad form for the team at the eye of the storm.

I don't practically see a way that Vino's going to start.

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
greenasgrass said:
So the team can choose to wait for tomorrow to suspend them... and they're all good.
Okay, I am following you, after all.

You're saying, wait until after Le Tour starts, and then suspend them.

I'm saying, if under the rules they are eligible, why suspend them after the start? What does that accomplish? The team would be shooting itself in its own foot. The team wants to race. They hope they'll be allowed to start. If they are allowed to start ... what possible benefit would there be in suspending its own riders, if the organizers deem those riders eligible and allow them to start?

· Registered
21 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
Okay, I am following you, after all.

You're saying, wait until after Le Tour starts, and then suspend them.

I'm saying, if under the rules they are eligible, why suspend them after the start? What does that accomplish? The team would be shooting itself in its own foot. The team wants to race. They hope they'll be allowed to start. If they are allowed to start ... what possible benefit would there be in suspending its own riders, if the organizers deem those riders eligible and allow them to start?
Why then were Basso, Ullrich and others suspended by their teams? Same thing here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.