Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have used latex tubes: Do you give them the talc treatment too?
I suspect the answer is either yes or it doesn't matter. I just don't want to find out the hard way that talc doesn't play well with latex and it dries them out or something like that. And I don't want to add the extra weight of talc if it doesn't do anything :)
thanks,

·
Registered
760 Posts
For what it's worth, Challenge Latex tubes come pre dusted with talc, so I figure they think it is ok at least. Tempted to try some myself on my Challenge CX tires.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Yes on the talc application and very liberally too. Both on the tube and the tire.

Edit: Challenge latex have been a hit or miss. Vittoria latex are the tubes I have been using for a while now without any issues.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. And thanks for the extra info. I was actually going to get Challenge tubes so will reconsider.
When you say hit or miss......what is a miss? Bad valves? They pop?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Thanks. And thanks for the extra info. I was actually going to get Challenge tubes so will reconsider.
When you say hit or miss......what is a miss? Bad valves? They pop?
they slit at the valve

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and another question......

I intend to try latex on 33mm cx tires. I pretty much know the answer based on having blown up latex condoms and gloves at some point but it's okay to use tubes that are "too small" according to the advertised size the way it is with butyl, right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes on talc for me with Vitt latex tubes. With talc it's easier for me to get them positioned correctly when I install. No punctures yet, so I can't tell whether talc becomes a PITA when trying to patch.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
and another question......

I intend to try latex on 33mm cx tires. I pretty much know the answer based on having blown up latex condoms and gloves at some point but it's okay to use tubes that are "too small" according to the advertised size the way it is with butyl, right?
Well, this is debatable. Latex stretches 7:1 vs. 2:1 (or 3:1?) for butyl. Ive used the larger Vittoria size (25/28) with Conti GP4KSII 28mm which measure at 31.5mm on HED C2 rims without any problems for thousands of miles. Also used them with Challenge Strada Bianca OT which measure 32-33mm on 17.5/23mm rims. No problems there either.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Challenge tubes come in 2 sizes, small for road tyres and large for CX tyres, do both sizes split, or is it if you use the small tube in a larger tyre that has a problem?
I used the 19/28mm with road tires. I have not used the 29/38. (its been a while but i dont recall the 29/38 being available when I was buying Challenge latex tubes; then I moved on to Vittoria)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Well, this is debatable. Latex stretches 7:1 vs. 2:1 (or 3:1?) for butyl. Ive used the larger Vittoria size (25/28) with Conti GP4KSII 28mm which measure at 31.5mm on HED C2 rims without any problems for thousands of miles. Also used them with Challenge Strada Bianca OT which measure 32-33mm on 17.5/23mm rims. No problems there either.
From your experience, how much air pressure does the tire loose over say a 6 to 8 hour ride with the Latex Vittoria tubes?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
From your experience, how much air pressure does the tire loose over say a 6 to 8 hour ride with the Latex Vittoria tubes?
Not enough to cause a problem if you start with a properly inflated tire. Some of the volume lost through permeation may be counteracted by the increase in volume under use. This obviously is not apparent all the time but it may be happening where having adequate pressure could be more critical, i.e. high speed descents on switchbacks.
I would say the loss is about 10psi per 24 hrs on a stored bike starting from an inflation pressure around 90 psi.

·
Wandering
195 Posts
Yes on the talc application and very liberally too. Both on the tube and the tire.
Ditto. The only small issue is getting talc on the rim. If I don't clean it well, it acts as a lubricant on the brake track - not a plus.

I started with the uber-thin Vredestein latex. After a month, one started to lose pressure even more than usual overnight. I took the tube out, checked it under water, no issue. Next ride, it developed a 1/8" hole unrelated to anything on the road. I figured that it was just too thin to be reliable & switched to Vittoria. I've been on them over a year with no issues.

I love the latex & I'm not big on noticing things. I got new custom wheels that cut over 1.5 lbs & couldn't tell the difference. I changed to latex tubes & noticed immediately. The reduction in flats is a nice side benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Ditto. The only small issue is getting talc on the rim. If I don't clean it well, it acts as a lubricant on the brake track - not a plus.

I started with the uber-thin Vredestein latex. After a month, one started to lose pressure even more than usual overnight. I took the tube out, checked it under water, no issue. Next ride, it developed a 1/8" hole unrelated to anything on the road. I figured that it was just too thin to be reliable & switched to Vittoria. I've been on them over a year with no issues.

I love the latex & I'm not big on noticing things. I got new custom wheels that cut over 1.5 lbs & couldn't tell the difference. I changed to latex tubes & noticed immediately. The reduction in flats is a nice side benefit.
I bolded part of your post for folks to notice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used Vittoria and Michelin latex tubes without any problems. I put the tube in a zip lock bag and give them a liberal dousing of baby talc before fitting them. I haven't had any issues with pinch flats when inflating them and the ride on them is noticeably smoother and nicer than on butyl tubes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ditto on using talc. It makes installation so much nicer.

I inflate the tube just enough to take form, then cup and fill my hand with talc and then slowly twist and pull the tube through for full coverage.

This method gives you an even distribution without any excess.

Love the latex, I'll never go back.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have used them w/o talc right out of box no issue but when the tire is dead I swapp out the the tube anyway. Other than a tire destroying piece of silicone time no issues (knocking on wood) I notice more from the latex tube on a 23 than a 25 but might just have more to do with the pressure and it could just be in my head. Right now I am running Vittoria latex and Corsa G+ Speed. Really smooth ride. I would be interested to hear more on the wider tire

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I bolded part of your post for folks to notice.:thumbsup:

Interesting discussion on latex tubes. I never game them a consideration before, but the nicer ride quality has me interested in trying them. Though with latex, I can't be lazy and not check my pressure for a few days. :p

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I use both latex and butyl...I use latex with my nicer tires like the Turbo Cotton, but I just don't think they are worth it (for me-literally not worth the $) in a Zaffiro or Gatorskin etc...JMO though. I'd be lying if I said i can feel a difference in the Turbo Cotton or the Conti GP4000 between latex and butyl...you guys that switched to latex are noticing what exactly?

Less flats? How? If anything they are a bit less durable. Better ride? How so? Maybe a touch more supple i guess but, again can you notice that in a Gatorskin? Turbo Cotton? Faster/less crr? Yes but, you can notice that 1-3W difference?

As for psi loss in 24 hours I notice more like 25-30psi drop from 100. immediately noticeable just rolling out of the garage. Certainly something you won't miss.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I use Vittoria latex tubes also. I buy them in 10 packs from UK sellers, works out to be about $6-7 per tube in this volume. Also use talc on both tubes and inside tires.

I ridden about 10-11K miles on them in the last 3 years, no major problems or complaints. I really like the ride, with good tires very much the same feel as tubulars.
One thing I have seen, especially as they get decent mileage (i.e. 3-4K miles) on them, they may tend to develop very small pinhole slow leaks that can be hard to find. You can't get much pressure in them outside a tire/rim without a section balooning out.
Once I find and patch the hole, it seems like another develops shortly. These usually are discovered at the beginning a ride, finding a flat tire on bike that was ridden no problems the day before.

Not really sure if this is from very small stones getting inside the tire, but when it gets to this point, I end up replacing them, and the problem goes away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts