·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Fu(k cancer. Again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
R.I.P.

On a funny note, if there is one, I read that and thought, "But we we still have Fliet Mignon!" :blush2:

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
R.I.P Professor. He was an interesting character. His battles with Hinault & Lemond were some of the best ever in the TDF.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
hats off to a geniune competitor... far too young.

f**k cancer, indeed.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Wow--my first reaction was "He's a young guy" (which translates these days as 'younger than me')

RIP, Professor.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
JustTooBig said:
hats off to a geniune competitor... far too young.

f**k cancer, indeed.
Antonio_B likes this.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I love how in the very brief bio they wrote they felt compelled to include that he used doping products. :rolleyes:
No different here, where he's on the front page of every newspaper site right now: the articles are longer so it's a little less present, but it's always part of the story.

Considering that the average life expectancy of tour champions over the years isn't much better than that of NFL linemen, the connection is certainly newsworthy...but IMO we could wait til the end of the initial mourning period to go into it.

RIP M Fignon: I won't lie, I never liked your media personality, but you are important to French cycling fans and you will leave a big empty spot.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I love how in the very brief bio they wrote they felt compelled to include that he used doping products. :rolleyes:
I think it's relevant since Fignon himself said he suspected doping contributed to his cancer.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I think it's relevant since Fignon himself said he suspected doping contributed to his cancer.
Not really...he left the door open, but his exact words on the subject are more than ambiguous. I'll paste the text below but basically he said that he doesn't know and won't guess, but that his doctors told him that a connection is highly unlikely. He also says that the truth won't really be known until we see what happens to all the other riders from the same era who took the same dope.

Still, I agree that it's relevant...just not right now.

«Je ne vais pas dire que cela n'a pas joué. Je n'en sais absolument rien. C'est impossible de dire oui ou non. D'après les médecins, apparemment non».

«J'ai expliqué franchement (aux médecins) ce que j'avais fait dans ma carrière, ils m'ont dit ça ne peut pas être ça. Ce serait trop simple. Et puis il y a en avait des dizaines, parce qu'à mon époque, tout le monde faisait la même chose, comme aujourd'hui tout le monde fait la même chose», a-t-il ajouté.

«On n'a pas de recul sur le dopage, a souligné l'ancien coureur. Etre sûr et certain que cela ne fait pas mal, c'est impossible à dire. Etre certain que tous ceux qui ont vécu l'époque 1998, où il y avait beaucoup d'exagérations, ne développeront pas un cancer dans dix ou vingt ans, je n'en sais rien. On le saura plus tard».

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Creakyknees said:
True.

And I think it's relevant anyway. If they're going to talk about his life, that needs to be part of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts