Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RBR newsletter had a little article on Fignon and his fight against stomach cancer.

Interestingly, the published his address and e-mail in case anyone wanted to pass on their well wishes. So I thought I'd post it here.

Good luck, Laurent.

Laurent Fignon
126, rue du Maréchal Leclerc,
94410 St-Maurice
France

[email protected]

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is too bad. I didn't know he had this fight on his hands. Haven't heard anything about him in a long time. Hope he conquers. Loved his battles with LeMond.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wishing him the best. Its gotta be tough. I will always remember him as the last guy to not go aero during a TT.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,290 Posts
A fine man. I'm pulling for him.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
gh1 said:
I will always remember him as the last guy to not go aero during a TT.
You mean that TdF TT when Lemond beat him to win the overall by just 8 seconds?

While it's true that Lemond used aerobars (one of the first), Fignon was rocking disc wheels front and back compared to Lemond's box rim in front. LF wasn't without an aero weapon or two.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
* Two Tours
* Two Milano-Sanremo
* Two Criterium International
* La Fleche Wallone
* Grand Prix des Nations

And yet most people in the US remember him as the guy who lost to LeMond in the 1989 Tour, a resurgent season where by that point he had won Milano-Sanremo, Giro d'Italia, and Grand Prix des Nations.

Riders today don't even have the guts to try something like that anymore, unless you count their off-season boasting!

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
Mike T. said:
I just e-mailed him. Cummon guys, let's send him some good wishes. He entertained us well years ago.
I sent him one (in English and with a Babelfish translation). I hope it's not his personal account, and he has a secretary to tell him about well wishers, otherwise he might truly hate us if he has to wade through thousands of get well messages to find what he's looking for :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
The man is fighting a real tough and hard battle. I sent him a encouraging e-mail in french.
Lets keep them coming.
Thanks
Bruno 895

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I remember a photo of Fignon from his early career, he was away solo, going to win whatever race it was, and his Campy crank broke, clean in half, putting him on the pavement. The photo was of him sitting there looking stunned, one foot still strapped in with half a crank hanging there.

Definitely a helluva rider.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That time trial in 89 was the reason I started cycling. I video taped it and I watched it over and over again. I was about 12 years old and I remember I got a System U jersey for my birthday from my older cousin who raced. When everyone else was cheering on Lemond, I was cheering on Fignon, they all thought I was nuts. I was, and still am a big fan of Laurent.

I really hope he pulls through.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
That was a titanium BB spindle that broke. I also remember him for getting a flatworm one year - i always assumed it was from the cow sh!t getting sprayed on his bottle in the spring classics.

But I remember him most for putting the hammer down on Hinault in the Alps to win the Tour. Those were some great rides.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Email sent - He was a great Ambassador for cycling in the 80's. I know I cheered for him.

·
Registered
706 Posts
orange_julius said:
And yet most people in the US remember him as the guy who lost to LeMond in the 1989 Tour,
...who was a sore (French) loser and claimed GL "played the role of a weak chicken".

Oh well, best wishes to him in his battle. It's a shame.

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
The Weasel said:
...who was a sore (French) loser and claimed GL "played the role of a weak chicken".

Oh well, best wishes to him in his battle. It's a shame.

Well, a lot of people do silly things in their youth that I don't think should be held against them when they are more mature (unless they don't change, that is). I feel bad for Fignon; even though I enjoy watching Lemond's victory, I enjoy watching Fignon race a lot. I was in grade school when those guys were racing, but I have watched the videos of their races many times. I hope he is able to pull through it, but I think it is really bad.... :(

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
gh1 said:
Wishing him the best. Its gotta be tough. I will always remember him as the last guy to not go aero during a TT.
He wasn't the last one.
Chiapucchi (sp?) did the same thing in 1990 tour.
Granted, he would probably lost LeMond anyway but he showed up with no aerobar when everyone else did......
Hope he beat the damn cancer......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts