Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
cut 'em off...

sheesh, rode for years & years & years on forks w/o tabs, never realized how lucky i was that i never had a wheel come flying out of the dropouts...

none of my bikes have 'em, given a lot of them predate that rediculous cpsc mandate. if you're not a dumbass you don't need 'em, if you are you shouldn't be on a bike anyway...

· Registered
8,116 Posts
I never understood what was so bad about them-- is it really that big of a trouble to spin your QR two or three times to remove the wheel... is your life really that fast-paced and hectic?

sgt_hedgehog said:
so is it okay to file them off? the practical and safe side of my brain says hell no, but they're SO damn annoying!!
it's a Ritchey WCS fork, btw.

· Registered
650 Posts
No my life is not so hectic but after rideing a nice custom steel fork with no tips, i bought a cf giant with the tips and now i have to completly remove the skewer to remove the wheel. This is not hectic but if i am too fast i will lose the funny little spring. Lose the tips. i have.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Completely remove the skewer? Gadzooks!

The irony is on my old steel (tabless) commuter, I rode 20 miles home from work, picked up my bike to bring it in the house, and the wheel fell off and went bounding down the street... who needs tabs?

slowdave said:
No my life is not so hectic but after rideing a nice custom steel fork with no tips, i bought a cf giant with the tips and now i have to completly remove the skewer to remove the wheel. This is not hectic but if i am too fast i will lose the funny little spring. Lose the tips. i have.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
slowdave said:
bought a cf giant with the tips and now i have to completly remove the skewer to remove the wheel.
why? i've got a tcr comp and while i do have to unscrew the QR i don't have to go all the way and remove the skewer???

· Registered
9,274 Posts
sgt_hedgehog said:
so is it okay to file them off? the practical and safe side of my brain says hell no, but they're SO damn annoying!!
it's a Ritchey WCS fork, btw.

If the tips were aluminum, you know you could file them off. But with all-carbon fiber, I don't know either. I think I would be a little bit hesitant to touch it.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Fast and Hectic?

filtersweep said:
I never understood what was so bad about them-- is it really that big of a trouble to spin your QR two or three times to remove the wheel... is your life really that fast-paced and hectic?
Let's see, these tabs were designed for people too stupid to learn how to use a quick release. So lets design a safety device (tabs) that requires them to constantly adjust a device that they do not understand in the first place. Without the tabs when I open and close my QR it is always properly set. I always cringe when I am at a charity event and look down to see an improperly installed QR on the front hub and always question if the tabs would really prevent an accident.

My kid was chatting with one of the big bike company reps about filing off the carbon tabs on his fork. The rep said the official company line is not too file. He then went on to explain that when you do file them off do it gently and only take off as much as you need for the open QR to clear. Once finished take some clear coat acrylic or nail polish and paint the freshly filed area. About once a month my son touches up the paint job and inspects the fork tips but it may be overkill as he is pretty meticulous about having a clean bike.

· Registered
85 Posts
Say good-bye to your warranty if you file

Stupid has nothing to do with the tabs...anything keeping the wheel on your fork is a good thing. A skewer can strip, snap...all sort of things could go wrong, having nothing to do with operator error.

Also, since more kids are riding road bikes...heck put as much safety crap into every bike as far as I'm concerned.

But as far as filing the tabs off...definitely forget your warrantty...is it really worth it if you need to return your forks for a defect????

· Banned
662 Posts
Ditto

filtersweep said:
Why not just leave your good virgin hardware un-touched? May change re-sale value
down the road.

· uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
jason_haza said:
A skewer can strip, snap...
let's analyze this a bit more shall we...

if a skewer strips or snaps there's not a lawyer tab in the world that's going to save your bacon. specious argument at best..

i think one thing that keeps folks from seeing how useless lawyer tabs really are is the steady proliferation of the "boutique" quick release. you know, the "lightweight" external cam units. never mind that tullio got it dead on with the very first iteration, and any possible perfecting that needed to happen was done by suntour and shimano years ago.

the "uncool, old fashioned" units, in addition to having a much smoother feel and requiring far less overall effort, all have a cam-over point. i've never seen a boutique unit that did. this is a pretty subtle feature, and provides a huge safety margin. that's why every bike in my fleet wears either campagnolo, suntour, or shimano quick release units. and why none of 'em have lawyer tabs...

so maybe i'm really IN the lawyer tab camp, eh? if you insist on using one of the modern "improved" skewers you need 'em, if you're an old fashioned fart like me you can dispense with them. a bit of a connundrum, it is.

a random last thought: while "flip it & spin it" isn't that big a deal with a road fork, a lot of us play in the dirt too. can't do that when you've got a bomber on the front, it's "flip it & gradually loosen it a 1/4 turn at a time" instead. pain in the arse, it is/was.

and quite the astute observation from "keeping up with junior"; it's mysterious and arcane, so let's require folks to meddle with it that much more. brilliant!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.