Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

In what state are your fork's "lawyer tabs"?

  • I filed them off. A quick release is supposed to work like Tullio intended.

    Votes: 64 43.2%
  • I left them as they came. I can twist!

    Votes: 68 45.9%
  • What are lawyer tabs?

    Votes: 16 10.8%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I cleaned my celeste beauty today I came up with this little poll to test the legal waters on this forum. :thumbsup:
 

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1/4 of voters for alternative 3 so far. How fast can you change a front wheel?
 

·
Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
36,546 Posts
What if you really hate lawyer tabs but are too lazy to file them off?
.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
no lawyer tabs.

They prevent natural selection from proceeding as it should.
 

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SystemShock said:
What if you really hate lawyer tabs but are too lazy to file them off?
.
Then you're
1) not too lazy to twist, or
2) able to twist real fast,

I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Are they really a problem? I can see, if you race, you might want to file them off, but even then......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,669 Posts
Do you take the reflectors off the wheels. The spoke guard off the rear wheel? Of course file them off. Who needs to put up with that hassle when removing a front wheel? I suspect this is an in-America only thing. The bike I bought in Italy several years ago did not have them.
 

·
What the what???
Joined
·
12,707 Posts
I haven't reached that point of critical mass where I have removed the wheels enough times for it to matter that much. I can see, though, where folks who race or make regular wheel swaps would want to break out the file.
 

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pmf said:
I suspect this is an in-America only thing. The bike I bought in Italy several years ago did not have them.
It has migrated to Europe all right. Standardisation I guess.
The straight blade steel fork on my wife's beautiful old Colnago has none, but my new Bianchi had them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
pmf said:
Who needs to put up with that hassle when removing a front wheel?
What "hassle"? It takes three seconds to unsrew the skewer the two turns it takes to get the wheel off. Again, if you're racing, I can see the logic. I'm not racing.
 

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To me that's the hassle, Gimme Shoulder. YMMV and all that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
I buy and sell lots of bikes on ebay, and I am amazed by how few people file those ignorant things off. They are a PITA, plain and simple. And hey, the way I look at it, if you are stupid enough to take off on your bike without closing your quick release, then you deserve to be catapulted over your bars. It might even help clean up the gene pool!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Only one frame has lawyer tabs.

1 custom, 2 old enough to be pre-tab, and I'm not about to take the tabs off my bike friday's fork...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
428 Posts
cyclust said:
I buy and sell lots of bikes on ebay, and I am amazed by how few people file those ignorant things off. They are a PITA, plain and simple. And hey, the way I look at it, if you are stupid enough to take off on your bike without closing your quick release, then you deserve to be catapulted over your bars. It might even help clean up the gene pool!

I think Virenque filed them off or didn't close his QR. He's French though and he deserved it.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
Anybody ever wonder, if they do something, why the same tabs aren't on the rear dropouts?

I file them off. Their removal is not going to effect the structure of a carbon drop out. Certainly not as much as clamping the quick release damages the dropout. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top