Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so the temp here in texas are mild and in the 65-75F range when im riding. Im finding that after the ride i have this layer of salt all over my face. i can wipe my hand on my face and on my hand is lots of salt crystals. im not really sweating that much right now because of the temps. so am i consuming to much salt in my diet if this is happening or is this normal

·
Registered
529 Posts
Happens all the time in in dry weather. As far as I know, it's harmless and not a sign of anything you're doing wrong. I used to get this all the time.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
this is one of the major reasons every energy drink under the sun has electrolytes

when it is really dry out the sweat dries to your face and skin more so then in damp climates. (it's doing it's job to cool you) what is left, is pretty much everything but water from the sweat. Plenty of salts as well as the stink sweat is associated with. Now go take a shower

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
fleck said:
this is one of the major reasons every energy drink under the sun has electrolytes

when it is really dry out the sweat dries to your face and skin more so then in damp climates. (it's doing it's job to cool you) what is left, is pretty much everything but water from the sweat. Plenty of salts as well as the stink sweat is associated with. Now go take a shower
TRUE. you're just not percieving the sweating.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
On long rides in hot weather my clothes end up caked in salt. I need electrolyte pills (Endurolytes or salt tablets) on rides over 4 hours... the electrolytes in sports drinks are not sufficient.

On my first Death Ride I did not know about supplementing with electrolytes and wound up with a case of hyponatremia. I finished the ride but it was quite a struggle.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes it is normal. The only issue for me is if I rub my face the salt crystals can act as an abrasive on my skin...

When you ride in warm-ish weather, take a bottle of water and a bottle of sports drink. The water is for drinking, washing sweat and bugs out of your eyes, and cleaning wounds if you crash. The sports drink is for replacing all the stuff that you're sweating out :) Also, in REALLY hot weather or on very, very hard rides, drinking sports drinks exclusively can make you sick.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
b24fsb said:
ok so the temp here in texas are mild and in the 65-75F range when im riding. Im finding that after the ride i have this layer of salt all over my face. i can wipe my hand on my face and on my hand is lots of salt crystals. im not really sweating that much right now because of the temps. so am i consuming to much salt in my diet if this is happening or is this normal
It is a fact of life here in Phoenix during mid-summer rides. Not to mention the fact that your jersey and bibs will be absolutely stiffened and crusty with the dried salt.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
fleck said:

Well, not really. There are two different kinds of sweat glands; eccrine(99% water for cooling), and apocrine(which can produce sweat that may become odoriferous from bacteria.)

Eccrine/merocrine sweat is primarily water and contains salts and doesn't of itself have much of an odor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweat_gland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts