Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i've been shopping around for the specialized roubaix going to about 3-5 different shops now they said my size is a 52 i've sat on that measurement as a guideline (i'm new to cycling) BTW. i've test rided some a trek as well as some others and they all feel different but then i went to a different shop today and they told me i'm a 54 first impression was WTF I called BS on dude right away but then it's because he's got the last roubaix comp and it's in a 54 and he's parting it for $1850 now is this worth it? and i'm sure i'm a 52 i'm 5' 6'' my inseam is bout 29.5". . someone please help me =)

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
iichiiban said:
okay so i've been shopping around for the specialized roubaix going to about 3-5 different shops now they said my size is a 52 i've sat on that measurement as a guideline (i'm new to cycling) BTW. i've test rided some a trek as well as some others and they all feel different but then i went to a different shop today and they told me i'm a 54 first impression was WTF I called BS on dude right away but then it's because he's got the last roubaix comp and it's in a 54 and he's parting it for $1850 now is this worth it? and i'm sure i'm a 52 i'm 5' 6'' my inseam is bout 29.5". . someone please help me =)
I'm 5'6" with a cycling inseam of 30" and I'm riding a 52 cm Tarmac Comp that fits perfectly.

That's a good price for the Roubaix Comp, but only to a cyclist that takes a 54 cm frame - I don't think that's you. That said, if you're new to cycling make sure you get a good bike fitting before shelling out your dough. My 02 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PJ352 said:
I'm 5'6" with a cycling inseam of 30" and I'm riding a 52 cm Tarmac Comp that fits perfectly.

That's a good price for the Roubaix Comp, but only to a cyclist that takes a 54 cm frame - I don't think that's you. That said, if you're new to cycling make sure you get a good bike fitting before shelling out your dough. My 02 cents.

so would you think with proper sizing the 54 will fit fine? or should i stick with a 52? when i stand over the bike my belongings touches the bar resting on it some what. . . they didn't have a 52 in the shop of another specialized so i couldn't compare. . an no where else in the area has a 52 either i've checked =( i'd road a 52 when i was in the shop in boston but i'm bout 1.5 hrs away from there now not going to drive back up there to just test and compare but thanks for the help thou

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
iichiiban said:
so would you think with proper sizing the 54 will fit fine? or should i stick with a 52? when i stand over the bike my belongings touches the bar resting on it some what. . . they didn't have a 52 in the shop of another specialized so i couldn't compare. . an no where else in the area has a 52 either i've checked =( i'd road a 52 when i was in the shop in boston but i'm bout 1.5 hrs away from there now not going to drive back up there to just test and compare but thanks for the help thou
Honestly, I think you should stick to the 52, but a good bike fitting would tell the tale for sure. Yes, with some experimenting with stem angles, length and saddle setback, you'd probably fit ok on the 54, but if you're seriously looking at spending $2,000 +/-, don't you want it to fit as close to perfect as you can get?

If there are no other 52's to be had in your area, it may be worth your while to make that drive to Boston. Consider it an investment in your cycling future. My opinion, FWIW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PJ352 said:
Honestly, I think you should stick to the 52, but a good bike fitting would tell the tale for sure. Yes, with some experimenting with stem angles, length and saddle setback, you'd probably fit ok on the 54, but if you're seriously looking at spending $2,000 +/-, don't you want it to fit as close to perfect as you can get?

If there are no other 52's to be had in your area, it may be worth your while to make that drive to Boston. Consider it an investment in your cycling future. My opinion, FWIW.

thanks alot for the 2 cent it does make sense just that don't want to let a nice deal pass i'm a sucker for those good deals hehehe

·
Registered
638 Posts
First off I am your size with about a half inch or so taller inseam. you are definately a 52. A 50 would probably be fine as well with about a 100mm stem. One thing to remember though is that some companies have strange geometry and your usual size might not be right. lemond and bianchi are two that are strangely sized. none the less i fell victim to what you are going through right now. I had a scumbag trek store convince me that at 5'6 with a 30 inseam i should ride a 53 lemond. a 53 lemond is comparable to a 55 or so from most other companies. wow, real coincidence that they had one lemond left on closeout and it was a 53. my point being is that theres alot of dishonest shops... some will size you wrong to dump a closeout, some will rely on degrading other companies just to sell you on the ones they carry and ive even seen one that likes to swap out the stock parts for cheaper ones and sell the bikes to newbie customers. my point is that you should find a shop that you can actually trust.... this is usually done by just hangin out and chatting with the employees. just remember that theres a difference in shops having different opinions on things and shop flat out lying to you

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, I can you that LBS is trying to "close a deal". Sure you can probably ride a 54, but will probably feel that bike "very big" after riding more than 1 hour. My rule of thumb is if you fall between two frame size, always pick the smaller size.

Same thing happened to me years ago when I was looking for a Roubaix Comp. I already knew I was a 56 cm and was maybe thinking a 54 cm for a more aggressive fit. But the store I went to only had a 58 cm. The owner said the 58 cm fits me right. Yeah, right!

$1850 is very cheap. I remember the asking price for a Roubaix Comp back in 2005 was $3200.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just for comparison I ride a 56 roubaix comp and I’m 5’10” and have a inseam of 32. I was debating between a 56 and a 58 when I bought mine and all it took was a side by side comparison ride to tell which bike fit the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all the dealers in my area @#$%^&*()(*&^^%

every LBS in the boston area i've been to was so helpful i meant everyone of them they took care and made sure i've had any questions answered that i had an gave me great advice on what is appropriate for me. .before i evan had a clue what should be my size every sales person pin me to the wall and took my measurements went throu every bike from the $700-$7000 to see which fits my taste never insisted on which one i should buybut threw me in the ball park to see which suits me the best now that's what your LBS should do. . now i have drive 1.5 hrs back up just to see which bike works for me i guess it'll be worth the drive thanks every one for your help really appreciate it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Price

iichiiban said:
Is it a 2008 or 2007?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another story for you. I looked online as to which bike should fit me for my height, etc. I figured a 52 would work. However, when started going to bike shops and getting fitted on bikes I was started out on a 52 but then ultimately moved to a 54. Now, none of the shops I went to had a 54 of the bike in stock I wanted and the sizing consisted of being measured and then placed on a bike on a trainer and having parts of bikes adjusted for me. So, now I'm pretty confident I am a 54. I am 5'6 as well. Of course though the geometry of the bike you are looking at could be very different. If they didn't put you on the bike and at least let you ride it on a trainer. You might ask for that so you can get a batter feel of what the size will be like when you are actually pedalling. I bought a bike a long time ago and went down a size from what was suggested to me. Believe me, it's just as uncomfortable to have a bike a little too small as it is to have one a little too big.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
iichiiban said:
it's an 08 model when does the 09 model for most of the bikes come in any of you guys know?
FWIW, about a week ago I inquired at my LBS about the '09 Tarmacs. After checking with their rep (and he checked with Specialized) they were told October - November.

·
Registered
78 Posts
walter2007 said:
Just for comparison I ride a 56 roubaix comp and I’m 5’10” and have a inseam of 32. I was debating between a 56 and a 58 when I bought mine and all it took was a side by side comparison ride to tell which bike fit the best.
i'm 5'10 with a 32" inseem and I ride a 54 in any specialized, and i'm a bike salesperson at a specialized dealer. you ride the wrong size road bike and should stop trying to give out misinformation.

·
Registered
629 Posts
mikbowyer said:
i'm 5'10 with a 32" inseem and I ride a 54 in any specialized, and i'm a bike salesperson at a specialized dealer. you ride the wrong size road bike and should stop trying to give out misinformation.

Bite Me milkboy, I'm amazed that from one paragraph you can tell what bike fits me, oh yeah you're a specialized salesperson.

This just adds to the title of this thread. . . . lbs are idiots

You know people like you really pizz me off. I have a few years experience with bikes and was also fitted to a 56 by 3 different salespersons from 2 different specialized dealers, with 54 56 and 58 in stock.

Now I can trust my own perception of what bike fits me or take the word of 3 salespersons one with 20 years of bike experience and a good friend. Or I can take the expertise of some azzwipe like you on a forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't disagree with you riding a 56, but if you are on a 58 you are wrong.

This is correct, I can guarantee it.

Sounds like you have a case of the "everyone I talk to who disagrees with me is an idiot" disorder. You go to the LBS and hear something you don't like, so they're idiots, then you go online to talk about how dumb they are and someone tells you you're wrong, so that guy is obviously an idiot.

Have you thought that possibly you're wrong? Because you are.

I've ridden every type of CF tarmac frame, I sell and size them at a dealership, I have the same measurements as you, and I am a mechanical engineer. What more do you want?

in case anyone wonders what this walter guy is all about check out his previous posts, ALL OF WHICH are in political forums, he's a poser.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=299394

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.