Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you all have any idea how much I can expect to pay for a LBS to setup my Tubular wheels and tires? I didn't purchase the wheels or tires from this shop. I'm just wondering what that cost should be if I choose to use them.

Not looking for dead on cost, but the ball park range.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
You should do this very important job yourself. There's too much at risk to trust someone who you have no idea of their expertise and qualifications. Learn how and then trust yourself - for the price of the glue.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I agree with doing it yourself... glue them up... let them firm up... air them up... then try to pry them off with your fingers (at low pressure.). You will find out how your glue job was pretty easily. for high pressure road tires, lots of the force holding the tire on is the high pressure. it is something that is worth your time to learn.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Would you all have any idea how much I can expect to pay for a LBS to setup my Tubular wheels and tires? I didn't purchase the wheels or tires from this shop. I'm just wondering what that cost should be if I choose to use them.

Not looking for dead on cost, but the ball park range.
Is there a reason you don't want to do it yourself?
What happens if you get a flat on the road? Will a shop run out and change it?
I just posted a link in another thread yesterday in regards to doing this job, it's not tough, doesn't need a lot of supplies, and it isn't time intensive.
Consider doing it yourself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan to race these wheels only! I've looked at youTube and saw several ways to get it done.... I just figured the shop would have more experience and thought it would be a good first move.... Maybe not...

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Hope your wrong... I dropped them off and they charged me 40 per wheel. That's why I posted this question. I thought that was high...
I've no idea what it costs in a shop but I've glued dozens of them on for myself (many years ago; I don't use 'em now) and I think $40 is incredibly high. It probably funds a liability insurance premium.

Inflate them. Try with all your might to roll them off. If they won't come off then they probably did a good job.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hope your wrong... I dropped them off and they charged me 40 per wheel. That's why I posted this question. I thought that was high...
I'd probably charge the same if I were doing it as a business (especially if I didn't sell the customer the wheels or the tires). :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If I can do it anyone can. Just read up on it and give it a try. You may want to run a strip of tape along the brake track in the event you spill some glue on it.
No need it will come off as soon as you brake, also I'd not recommend cleaning the side of the rim with solvents to get rid of any glue, if it hits the tire the solvents will ruin the tire.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you're happy with that word "should" then that's all that matters. I wouldn't let anyone, not even Calvin from Park Tool, touch my bike even to change my handlebar tape but that's just me.
I would love to get to the point that I could work on my own bike\bikes 100%. Your making me think hard about my next move. Bleeding breaks for my MTB.....

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I would love to get to the point that I could work on my own bike\bikes 100%. Your making me think hard about my next move. Bleeding breaks for my MTB.....
It's quite easy really - knowledge + tools + drive/ambition = job done. I'll start you off on the right path ~ they're 'brakes'. Maybe that's why you were having a problem :D

Check the Park Tool site for all your knowledge needs. Just don't believe you need all the tools they suggest as they are in the business of inventing tools.

And check the late Sheldon Brown's site for more knowledge than you will ever need.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.