Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm not a huge fan of negotiating but I want to support the LBS I bought my cervelo from.

I'm looking at the dura ace c24 CL wheels and yes I can get them cheap on;ine.

But out of curiosity, do any of you have experience or know if a LBS would lower their wheel price. I don't expect a matching price but a little reduction would be nice.

The 7900 c24 CL are 1300 (2013) and $ 1200 (2012) at the LBS.

Any thoughts good people?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I don't haggle with shops, if I don't like their price I just buy online, they offer a 10% discount for 90 days when a bike is purchased from them which is nice. Figure the good folks there know I buy some stuff online just from looking at my bike (Zipp Wheels etc) and if they were willing to negotiate they would offer something less than MSRP when I am talking to them about something. I'd like to support the LBS more and willing to pay a bit more at the shop but if I can get a substantial savings online its hard to ignore. Think I saved about $1000 on my wheels online vs the LBS.

338 Posts
If you're worried about pissing them off, then don't. But, depending on how that shop is run, they might be disappointed if you didn't give them a chance to compete. I know my old LBS would tell me to come in w/ the prices I found and if they could match it or come close they would, otherwise they'd just tell me to get it from where I found the price.

Not every shop works that way (just the ones that want to stay in business).

FYI, my name is not Charlie. That was inspired by the youtube videos "Charlie the Unicorn" (see avatar). There are 4 or 5 of them, they have nothing to do w/ cycling.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Like Charlie says, go in the shop with the best price and ask them if they'll work with you. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't, but if you give them the chance and you frequent the shop they won't be looking at you sideways when you show up with something new.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think it's pretty simple. Call them and tell them you'd rather buy from them and you found them for x $. They will appreciate that you are trying to spend money with them. Its worth a little more if you run into problems with the product.

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
I think it's pretty simple. Call them and tell them you'd rather buy from them and you foun them for x $. They will appreciate that you are tryin to pend money with them.ItTs worth a little more if you run into problems with the product.
I've had success with this. You can even show them a printout of the part at the online store.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Like Charlie says, go in the shop with the best price and ask them if they'll work with you. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't, but if you give them the chance and you frequent the shop they won't be looking at you sideways when you show up with something new.
if the shop wants to sell wheels for $x they should put that price sticker on. Not wasting peoples time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with Donn12, and it really is all in your approach. If you express to them that you would like to give them the business and can they do any better on the price then I can't imagine them being upset with you. They can either come down from their sticker price or they can't but there is no harm in asking.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
Definitely call them and let them know that you found the wheels for X online but would like to do business with them if they can match it. If they can, it ends up being slightly more convenient for you since you don't have to wait on shipping. I think any smart bike shop that had the capability to match an online price regardless of their will would perform the match, because that will lead to repeat and referral business in the future. My personal observation is that a lot of businesses have lost the mentality of taking care of a customer well the first time to secure more business in the long run.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
If I had a shop, I'd be fine with the, "show me the online price and I'll see what I can do" approach, but I've heard shop owners and employees talk major S on someone after they brought in a print out of the latest Perf/Nashbar/Euro online special. I value my LBS, so if they can get within ~10% of online including shipping, I'll go with them. I've even seen them do deals, like "We can't do that price on X product, but if you buy it we'll throw in bottles, gloves, jersey, helmet, a part on clearance, etc. depending on the item purchased."

·
irony intended
772 Posts
Given the realities of the LBS business these days my expectation would be that if you live in an area that's competitive, i.e., plenty of shops selling brands like your Cervelo, and these guys really want you as a regular customer (because you're demonstrating that you routinely spend significant $ on bike stuff), then they should be willing to match online prices. They'd rather make $50 than nothing, especially since you walked in the door (or emailed or called) knowing what you wanted and they didn't have to spend any time on selling you. This was my experience when I bought 7900-24 wheels for $950 in 2011, YMMV of course. If there isn't that much local on the ground competition, then your chances of haggling an online comparable price are likely much lower.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had good luck negotiating a less than "sticker" price on spendy items with my LBS. This is what I'd suggest:

First, go in person. Something about sincerity in the face to face.

Make sure you're dealing with someone with authority to adjust price. You don't have a middleman negotiation for you, you don't want one negotiating for LBS.

Tell them what you told us (want to support LBS that you bought your Cervelo from). It matters.

Take a printout of a couple online prices - to set a range and show shop you're not asking for the absolute lowest price (unless you are, in which you're probably better off just buying them online and be done with it). If you're in the U.S., take ads from the U.S.. The price offered by UK online sellers (Ribble/Wiggle/etc.) is lower than my LBS wholesale price on European manufactured wheels.

Be specific in your request, reasonable in your negotiation and ready to make the purchase on the spot if the LBS meets your demands. The biggest screw-up I made with the owner of one of my LBS was to beat around the bush (owner concluded I was kicking tires) and then not complete the purchase immediately when we ultimately came to an agreement. I did make the purchase the next day, but he told me I'd lost credibility with him, which took years to regain.

If LBS can't get to what you need on the price of the wheels alone, see if they'll make a package deal with tubes/tires, etc. that gets you both closer to what you need.

Finally, if you're able, take cash. Sometimes, the bar on what is the absolute best price is a little lower with cash.

Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I agree in letting your LBS to be given the chance to sell you some wheels. If your approach is polite and sincere, then I can't see them having a problem with it and may even appreciate that you took the time to think of them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wiggle has it for $836.
I want to trade the current crap fulcrum wheels and get the dura ace ones.

I used to work at this shop in portland 15 years ago. They don't remember me but I have a loyalty I guess.

I just can't remember if wheels are negotiable.

·
Banned
697 Posts
Some good advice here. Bring a copy of the price from the website and ask if they can match the price. If they can then buy from them. If they will not match the price, then don't buy from them. I would never negotiate a price or haggle over low price items. But when you are talking over $1,000 try to get a good deal. Think of it this way, does anyone ever pay the listed price on a new car? Of course not, they look to negotiate the price and terms.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.