Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been scanning these forums and various reviews online for about 6 months now and have narrowed down my choices to a few bikes at various shops near my home. This will be my first "actual" bike purchase and I'd love to hear some advice regarding the following questions:

1) Is it customary to negotiate on the price of a mid-range road bike (i.e. one bike I'm deciding on is a Felt Z85, I'm looking to pay $200 less than the listed price of $1200).

2) If so, what is the best way of doing so without coming off as disrespectful?

I don't plan on low-balling anyone or asking for outrageous discounts, I just know what some of these bikes are worth to ME and it's often about 15-20% less than the listed price.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
It isn't uncommon at all really. At that price point you may get a little bit off but don't be surprised if they say no. Mark up is usually not that much on a bike of that price.

Just ask. Be nice to the sale person and ask if they may be able to cut you some slack on the sale.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This isn't a car, you can't negotiate much on new, current year bikes. Think of it like buying something at Home Depot or Best Buy, you're not going to say "I won't pay a penny over $1000 for that fridge", you pay the price that's marked. Sure, some shops might come down to get your business, but don't expect much. Mark-up on a bike isn't huge, by asking for a $1200 bike for $1000, you're asking them to cut their profit in half, then you have to figure in the couple hours of labor and shipping costs for the bike. At that point, they're not making much. Even less if you take advantage of any free tune-ups they offer with a bike purchase.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
This isn't a car, you can't negotiate much on new, current year bikes. Think of it like buying something at Home Depot or Best Buy, you're not going to say "I won't pay a penny over $1000 for that fridge", you pay the price that's marked. Sure, some shops might come down to get your business, but don't expect much. Mark-up on a bike isn't huge, by asking for a $1200 bike for $1000, you're asking them to cut their profit in half, then you have to figure in the couple hours of labor and shipping costs for the bike. At that point, they're not making much. Even less if you take advantage of any free tune-ups they offer with a bike purchase.
Funnily enough, a friend's dad can talk his way into a discount just about anywhere, places where you'd think you just have to pay what the listed price is.

That being said $200 off a $1200 in May seems a bit much. My shop normally gives 10% for folks belonging to a club and they'll also knock off another 2-3% discount for using debit instead of credit or paying with a check or cash.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Best time to get a deal is in the dead of winter when business is slow. Worst time to negotiate prices is this time of year when business is starting to pick up steam.

And more than likely you won't get $200 of a $1200. Especially since that is the price point that sells pretty good. Likewise it's hard to haggle on the top of line stuff as well those bikes costing $5K and up.

If the bike shop price is comparable to online prices than just pay that amount. If it's $200 more than I'd offer them $1100 cash and call that a fair deal. Under the table some people will deal.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
No discount this time of year. Heck we already sold last years leftovers and the first lot of the 2011's. Unless you are on one end ofthe size chart dont expect much. We can sell 1200.00 bikes all day long. Especially in the 52-58 size range.

Good luck. Those Felts are nice bikes.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
You may be able to negotiate a lower price on the initial purchase, but keep in mind that you want to establish a good relationship with the shop for future maintenance & purchases. If you;ve narrowed your choice down to several comparable bikes from various shops, the shop that you want to do business with in the future should be a key deciding factor as to which bike to buy.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Negotiation is what ebay and craigslist is for.

I would not negotiate with the lbs, it seems a bit disrespectful in my opinion.

If you know the bike you want, find it online and get it cheaper than you can ever get it at a lbs.

Craigslist is the best for this. People dont sell things unless they are desperate or just want to get rid of it. I routinely lowball and get the items for way less than in the store or for what they posted.

Ebay sells just about any type of bike you could be looking for.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Definitely ask. Seems there's a standard discount Trek dealers are permitted to quote by Trek. I went to three shops getting a quote on a bike for my wife and they all quoted the exact same discount off list. The LBS that got my business also threw in 10% of the price of the bike in free gear of my choice, including stuff they didn't have in stock and needed to order for me. That was free gear, equivalent to the 10% of the net bike price, not discounted gear.

·
Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
I call bull***

on anyone who says that "markup is not that much on..."

Standard retail markup is 100%. That means the $1,200 bike has $600 of gross margin in the price.

Disrespectful to negotiate??? Maybe in a country where they don't have capitalism.

I understand that there are some really wonderful people in the bike store business. But why can't I negotiate with them. Am I less wonderful?

PLEASE.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not disrespectful, IMO. You might look stupid trying to get a big discount on a low markup bike of current year/model though. In which case, the bike shop will shoo you away or offer you a lower model (provided they carry one).

If they can afford the discount, want to rid the bike and you have made your intentions very clear about buying the bike... they will work with you.

Good bike shops are snobby but end of the day, customer is a customer. They have to sell to run the business.

·
9,790 Posts
So I've been scanning these forums and various reviews online for about 6 months now and have narrowed down my choices to a few bikes at various shops near my home. This will be my first "actual" bike purchase and I'd love to hear some advice regarding the following questions:

1) Is it customary to negotiate on the price of a mid-range road bike (i.e. one bike I'm deciding on is a Felt Z85, I'm looking to pay $200 less than the listed price of $1200).

I don't plan on low-balling anyone or asking for outrageous discounts, I just know what some of these bikes are worth to ME and it's often about 15-20% less than the listed price.
Cost on a $1200 bike is about $700-$750. Shipping on a bike, if the warehouse is close, is around $20-$30. Cost of an employee to build the bike is about $12 (for that hour). So, $792 on the higher side of this estimate. The shop's income on that bike is $400. You want to take away half of their profit. And that "profit" is going into costs such as rent and bills, not adding to the owner's Ferrari collection.

I have only discounted a bike that much once - for a very good friend.

·
9,790 Posts

Standard retail markup is 100%. That means the $1,200 bike has $600 of gross margin in the price.

Disrespectful to negotiate??? Maybe in a country where they don't have capitalism.

I understand that there are some really wonderful people in the bike store business. But why can't I negotiate with them. Am I less wonderful?

PLEASE.

Bikes aren't 100%. We've gone over this before. See my previous post. That $1200 bike costs about $750.

·
Bikes, Guns & Metal...
495 Posts

Sometimes the LBS make sales of 10% off on bikes so I would negotiate that on different LBSs.

Most of my bikes (road, mtn, bmx) had been purchase with a little negotiation for price or free gear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
everytime i buy i new bike i make sure how much they are going for online, in the paper at comp stores. if my lbs is a little over ill pay it but if say the 1200 bike you want is selling for 1000 else were and you can get it with very little trouble id let them know. Sometimes i just try to have them throw in free small items like tubes or patch kits if the price is already a decent deal.
It doesnt hurt to try. you my get lucky and they just wanna move the bike or maybe they want to fill the space with another model. as long as your nice about it they will be nice in return, even if they deny you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
LOL. I can tell you've never worked for a bike shop.

PLEASE.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
you would be amazed at what you can negotiate at home depot & best buy....:)

·
Registered
430 Posts
you would be amazed at what you can negotiate at home depot & best buy....:)
exactly, I went with my pops to all the big box stores when they rebuilt there kitchen over the winter, we ended up getting around 13% off a $1800 fridge. I try to negotiate everything, when i bought my bike last summer, I asked my LBS "what's the best they can do". They took off $50 bucks, but did the fit and gave me a discount on accessories and extended my service warranty from 3 to 6 months. I was really happy with that.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.