Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually not my usual LBS but another LBS. Seems more than a little high to me. I can't figure how they calculated that value. I really try hard to support local shops but I got the same exact set up at colorado cyclist for $260 with shipping. (Ultegra 10, butted DT Swiss Spokes, Open Pro black). LBS wanted over twice the price! I am generally OK with paying 10 up to 25% more at the LBS but this was beyond what I would pay.

I wonder how many people would just pay that price without checking.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
That sounds like a lot. In my area, high-end wheel labor is $65-75 / wheel. Even at its highest, that's $150, plus $130 for open pros, and say $60 for some nice spokes. Even at disgusting competitivecyclist.com prices, ultegra hubs are $140. So, what you're quoting is in the range, but at the very, very high end of it.

I'd be inclined to look elsewhere...

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Hard to beat 'Colorado Cyclist' or 'Performance' on wheel builds. After it was all said and done, my new Ambrosios cost me close to $500 for parts and labor, and thats with the NOS 'Record' hubs I bought from e-bay. My LBS built my wheels, and although they did a bang up job, it still 'smarted' a little.

· Registered
2,673 Posts

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
mprevost said:
Actually not my usual LBS but another LBS. Seems more than a little high to me. I can't figure how they calculated that value. I really try hard to support local shops but I got the same exact set up at colorado cyclist for $260 with shipping. (Ultegra 10, butted DT Swiss Spokes, Open Pro black). LBS wanted over twice the price! I am generally OK with paying 10 up to 25% more at the LBS but this was beyond what I would pay.

I wonder how many people would just pay that price without checking.
Holy crap! You can get DA/open pro wheels for that at my LBS. That's ridiculous. Go somewhere else.

Reminds me of when some LBS tried to charge me 140 bucks for an XT cassette.

· Registered
309 Posts
MIght be a way of saying "We don't want to build them"

I'm a real estate appraiser, and when someone wants us to do a job that's going to be a pain or that we don't really want to do, we put a stupid-high price on the job. That might be what's going on here.

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bad idea

Rushfan said:
I'm a real estate appraiser, and when someone wants us to do a job that's going to be a pain or that we don't really want to do, we put a stupid-high price on the job. That might be what's going on here.
That would be a terrible business model for a local bike shop. Do you think I will be buying anything at that shop any time soon? Probably not. Not a good way to build loyalty in a business that faces so much competition from the internet.

Mike

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
The Ultegra/Dura Ace + Open Pro mystique

Okay folks, I've been around for a few years now but it appears that
the combination of Open Pro rims and either Ultegra or Dura Ace
hubs gets talked about a lot more than just about any other type
of wheelset on this and several other bike forums I'm a member at.

Is their popularity the "bang for the buck" factor or is there a reason
that it seems like everyone and their brother are riding these (I suppose
the same could be said for Ksyriums too but that's for another thread).

I'll admit I'm currently riding 105 hubs and Mavic CXP 21 rims - I've had
to have the rear wheel trued exactly once after an incident with a wayward
railroad crossing otherwise they've been golden in the 4100+ miles I've
ridden on them.

So, Spill. What's the deal about the Open Pros? Do they have a mystical
allure that gets you the guy/gal? Do they cause world peace? Do they imbue
the ride with a "riding on marshmallows" luxury? Or do they just do what
wheels do for a reasonable price and not break too often?

Inquiring minds want to know.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
they get as close to the perfect lowest cost, lowest weight, most durable all purpose rim for the money you can find that will work for a large segement of the riding population, universally accepted truth............... or close to it...maybe and they don't break too often.

· Registered
95 Posts
cant beat them for the price...

i've never paid more than 300 bucks for a set of wheels, and i have tried several other wheelsets, like ritcheys, and suns and gippemmes alex and the like, in that price range. i also have tried mavic t221s and mavic cxp 21s. i use those on my commuter and as a spare set. but i've had a couple of sets of open pros the last few years and for me they just cannot be beat for the price.
as a matter of fact, i switched wheelsets a couple of weeks ago just to test the open pros. i'd had a set of sun assault rims with 105 hubs on my second road bike and i switched my open pro/ultegras over from my best road bike. just to see what it would be like. big difference. much stiffer. much better acceleration. as a matter of fact, i've decided that i'm going to sell my suns and buy another set of open pros.
if you shop around you can get a set for around 200 bucks and for the quality of the rim and hubs, well you just cannot beat them. i'm sure there are better wheels out there, but you'd probably have to pay much more to get the same quality.
i have to admit that i sometimes look at some of the more expensive, sexier, low spoke count wheels, but i can never justify making that purchase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.